Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by tekplay View Post
Why dont I have any friends like you and like http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=738542&postcount=1 , damn..
Gonna buzz my whole contact list to see if there is anyone who can call me a sibling .
I dunno.. but I gave my sister my old N800 before I'd bought another one to replace it. (It was just missing the damaged kickstand and I really wanted it to be a whole perfect N800.)

Seems to me these things are quickly becoming hand-me-downs, eh?

Originally Posted by danramos View Post
I dunno.. but I gave my sister my old N800 before I'd bought another one to replace it. (It was just missing the damaged kickstand and I really wanted it to be a whole perfect N800.)

Seems to me these things are quickly becoming hand-me-downs, eh?
I hereby Stake First Claim to any community N900 hand-me-downs..

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tekplay For This Useful Post:
You know, I first got this phone yesterday and the first thing i thought was "This phone is more powerful than my first computer" (which was a 486 with 32Mb of RAM, and i think a 300Mb HDD)

and i'm not that old... i'm 25...

The Following User Says Thank You to lordfury007 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by cmsjkung View Post

- Video Players (Default, SIB and KMPlayer) not as good as I expected, as it can play many different format of video files but lack of subtitle and audio selection supports.
Lack of subtitles? Subtitles Support is out almost from official phone release!

Also there is Extra Decoders Support which contains additional audio and video decoders.

If you are to lazy to use search tool or ask people for info and help, just sell your N900 to someone who will know how to use this pocket netbook.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kolos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 327 | Thanked: 249 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Λεμεσιανός, ρε!
Damn it. The bidding is already over 100? I always miss out on good deals for a second N900...

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Kolos, a 9 for useful info, but ultimately a frowning 3 for nasty attitude. You couldn't just have presented the info and set it in front of the user so that they can just learn it? Why the attitude?

As said many times before, man I miss the old ITT days.

Originally Posted by lordfury007 View Post
the first thing i thought was "This phone is more powerful than my first computer"
I am old. I can say that about my TOASTER. You know, the one that makes toast.

Damn kids and their newfangled computers.

The Following User Says Thank You to schettj For This Useful Post:
Posts: 716 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Sheffield, UK
Hi

After two months experience of using N900, I want to give up this device and change to use android device. The following are the major reasons:

N900 can run many different software but their quality are not as good as default web browser, so it is useless.
It all depends what you were expecting of the software. Personally I would like a few more games but its far more important that it has full SSH, browsing and other Linux goodies, as those are what its intended for. For games, I will buy a Nintendo 3DS as NO smartphone/tablet plays games that well due to the lack of a good D-Pad and sufficient buttons.

- No Flash Player 10.1 Support.
We still do not know for certain the N900 is not going to get it, only that Android got it first. If you are going to jump ship every time something new comes to a handset you do not currently own, you will be swapping handsets every month.

- Video Players (Default, SIB and KMPlayer) not as good as I expected, as it can play many different format of video files but lack of subtitle and audio selection supports.
Someone already mentioned that support is available.

- For game, most game emulators are running slow, dos box also has the same problem.
What makes you think Android will be any better? The speed is 99% down to the speed of the handset and all high-end handsets are between 600-1000Mhz Cortex A8, which of course the N900 can be over-clocked to 1Ghz easily and has a superior GPU to most handsets running at 1Ghz native (they use the extra CPU power to offset a poorer GPU).

- Camera quality is not good as too much noise for night shot.
Can't argue there, but again is there an Android handset that is any better? (I am genuinely asking)

- No Meego OS support from Nokia.
Your point being? How exactly does that make the N900 any less usable now, today?

Also Meego is not being supported by Nokia only so far as iif you call their customer support they wont help you if you are using it, as the N900 was designed for Maemo. It doesn't really mean a whole lot in the great scheme of things, doesn't make it any less usable when its all done and released. My Windows laptop is not supported with Ubuntu installed on it, but it doesn't make it suddenly useless.

- Phone function is not good to use.
Personal opinion, its perfectly satisfactory for my purposes which is a super flexible pocket Linux PC that also happens to have phone and SMS functions so I do not have to carry a phone too.

My Websites
CSD Projects - Flickr - UAE4Maemo (UAE4All Compatibility List)

Favourite N900 Applications
Picodrive - UAE4All

Please post your UAE4All compatibility reports. Even better, post them to my UAE4Maemo site!
Not sure how UAE4All works such as mouse emulation? Read the FAQ.

Last edited by Alex Atkin UK; 2010-07-03 at 00:17.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Alex Atkin UK For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Alex Atkin UK View Post
It all depends what you were expecting of the software. Personally I would like a few more games but its far more important that it has full SSH, browsing and other Linux goodies, as those are what its intended for. For games, I will buy a Nintendo 3DS as NO smartphone/tablet plays games that well due to the lack of a good D-Pad and sufficient buttons.

We still do not know for certain the N900 is not going to get it, only that Android got it first. If you are going to jump ship every time something new comes to a handset you do not currently own, you will be swapping handsets every month.

Someone already mentioned that support is available.

What makes you think Android will be any better? The speed is 99% down to the speed of the handset and all high-end handsets are between 600-1000Mhz Cortex A8, which of course the N900 can be over-clocked to 1Ghz easily and has a superior GPU to most handsets running at 1Ghz native (they use the extra CPU power to offset a poorer GPU).

Can't argue there, but again is there an Android handset that is any better? (I am genuinely asking)

Your point being? How exactly does that make the N900 any less usable now, today?

Also Meego is not being supported by Nokia only so far as iif you call their customer support they wont help you if you are using it, as the N900 was designed for Maemo. It doesn't really mean a whole lot in the great scheme of things, doesn't make it any less usable when its all done and released. My Windows laptop is not supported with Ubuntu installed on it, but it doesn't make it suddenly useless.

Personal opinion, its perfectly satisfactory for my purposes which is a super flexible pocket Linux PC that also happens to have phone and SMS functions so I do not have to carry a phone too.
Thank you for your advice.... you are a nice guy unlike some people do not like to hear negative opinions in this site (they need to grow up and don't live only in their dream)....

Flash Player
When you see the flash player demo video on N900, you may think it should be the first device to get it but not finally.

For Subtitle Support
Subtitle support application does not work for MOV file as you can not select different subtitle and audio files...

Camera
I can find may mobile phone got better picture quality than N900. Don't want to say the mobile phone names....

Phone Function
You will find lack of search/short cut alias function in contact, even the first release Meego got search/short cut alias function in contact.

Last edited by cmsjkung; 2010-07-03 at 09:16.

Originally Posted by Neegs View Post
Already there, with a large Coke and sum Pick n Mix as well
What the hell is a Pick n Mix? Is it like Chex Mix?

Please tell me...the suspense is KILLING ME!!!!!

Tags
delete me, infants and, their toys, worstthreadever