Active Topics

Originally Posted by Nathraiben View Post
Sure, but isn't it OUR responsibility to check which kind of sacrifice we're willing to make? Would you march into the next best ice cream parlour and order a banana split to then whine about how you wanted something with strawberry ice cream in it...?

(Or, to keep the metaphor more topic-specific: Would you wait for someone to thank the parlour owner for their wonderful banana split, to then chime in and call the customer stupid for liking that terrible banana split and not realising that there's no strawberry in it? )

Though, back to your replies, I'm still not sure what "quick tasks" and "casual" features you're missing. For me there's not much of a sacrifice to make while using my N900. It does all the things I ever did with my phones (make and receive calls, check mails, use the calculator because I cannot calculate worth **** , take notes and - lately - browse the web), and the only real problem I've ever had is that I tend to run out of battery when I'm online for too long.

Really, it's the perfect device for myself, and I just don't get how that makes me "blind", just because my priority is on other functionalities than MMS (or whatever else it is that makes this device "lacking").
Oh I'm not complaining. I just wish there was a device out there that didn't require me to make sacrifices in some regard (there sadly is no perfect platform for me, the N900 is as close as it gets for now). I think I'll only find one in the far future or if I learn to let go of some desires.

As for what, it's not really the N900s fault as it is the developers out there who fall into the app paradigm trap when they could design a nice website all pocketable computers and smartphones can use. For example, a nice geolocation site for cheap gas prices would be nice for when I'm driving. Right now it's using the gasbuddy or gasbuddy mobile site for me.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Originally Posted by daperl View Post
You sir, are ready for the next step.
Oh no, this could well end in disaster

Posts: 267 | Thanked: 408 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Austria
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
Oh I'm not complaining.
(Mostly offtopic: Wasn't trying to say you are, but your post was in reply to the "Why are people complaining" topic, so I abused your post to reply myself. Not to take personally, please - after all, you were not the one calling us stupid for enjoying our strawberry-free ice cream... )

Posts: 248 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on May 2010 @ New Zealand
I like the desktop. Having 4 means I can group shortcuts across them, and have a backdrop of the full Milky Way panorama. I take pictures, I have two DSLRs, a Canon for astrophotography and a Sony for daytime use, as well as a cybershot for carrying around with me. I was out walking last week and there was a great sunset - but I had neither of the Sonys. I tried out the n900 as a camera - and it was great, it works just like a camera straight out the pocket. Managed to fire off images no problem. Got home, plugged it into the laptop - ubuntu found it, and opened up an app I didn't know I had, pulled them across to the hard disk. I then reviewed them picked out the best two, and modified some of the levels to brighten the foreground and enhance the brightness, cropped out the edges. I was very impressed - I have taken interesting photos on a mobile before, but very few. The definition and sharpness was quite good. My Sony Clie was pretty good for that kind of thing, but this is clearer, and the colours more natural. Nothing like the cybershot (or the alpha, obviously), but pretty good.

I do find trying to some things awkward when out and about, but I think it is lack of familiarity - and as I get used to using it that will change. One thing I do think that was a missed opportunity was the lack of an HDMI port. The picture on TV is OK, but video needs all the help it can get.

Until something comes out with a 250GB HD, HDMI, 1.5GHz cpu, 2GB RAM, 12 Mpx camera, & external keyboard/mouse connectivity, this will do.

Here's an idea - how about three UXs in one phone? One that is highly configurable, based on gnome or KDE, one that is more or less fixed like Maemo 4 and capable of incorporating new applications, and one that is a pure terminal for CLI? The user could then select to have just one of these installed, or two, or all three, and select which to boot into on startup. A bit like a linux startup screen. I use gnome usually on my computers, but when I installed UNE on the netbook I got bored with it very quick, so stuck a standard gnome on top, then LXDF, and then decided to try Unity as well. Booting to CLI is there by default, obviously.

The desktop themes work really well on the n900.

Mish

love my N900. Hopefully Nokia or someone else would continue with a similar device with MeeGo. Can't think of another device that gives you root access to the device without voiding the warranty.

Even with the Google super phone Nexus One, you don't get root access without voiding the warranty.

Posts: 218 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Germany , Thüringen
Originally Posted by Nathraiben View Post
Interesting, have we been to the same German Nokia page for the N900? All I can see here is lots of talk about how much power it has, how it runs Linux, is Open Source, is ushering in a new era of mobile computing. Actually, the word "Linux" is more often used than on any distribution's website....
Well okay i dont know where you looking at if you got to the Nokia.de Website under shop like "a normal" possibly buyer would do at first then you would read the following:

"Bleiben Sie im Gespräch

Es ist ein Mobiltelefon. Und ein Computer. Genießen Sie flexible Kommunikation über das Mobilfunknetz, Internettelefonie (VoIP) und Instant Messaging (Chat). Die vollständige Tastatur und die Unterstützung für HTML-E-Mails machen die Nutzung von E-Mail-Funktionen unterwegs zum Vergnügen."

So the first they mention is that it is an Mobile Phone.. then and a computer you see what i mean if you dont belive here is a link for you..

http://shop.nokia.de/nokia-de/produc...&culture=de-DE

The Point is iam not the only one who is upset about how Nokia handled there N900 Project. To sell a device with a price like for this and to let die the "Support" that means Updates after a halve year is just a terrible Fail. You guys talking about foreign Linux at the Device okay this a great Feature but byside this look at this Forum how many People have Problems with there Devices, how many Bugs never will be fixed etc.

Like i said i was really optimistic form day one and did put a lot of work into my N900 tryed a lot but it still wont satisfy my needs about the Phone Part would it be so difficult for Nokia to develop Profiles, Groups for Contacts etc? This are basic features of any Phone since the last 5 years.

I wanted a Device where i have both a Mobile Phone and a little Computer like they advised at there Homepage not more and no less. But there are still some hardcore Linux Geeks that liveing in there small and soon dead Maemo World and if anybody comes and says hey iam not so happy like you then you will be a troll etc..

Last edited by crown77; 2010-07-07 at 13:41.

Posts: 726 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by crown77 View Post
The Point is iam not the only one who is upset about how Nokia handled there N900 Project.
This is a very weak argument. For a long time, "everyone" believed that the earth was flat but that doesn't change the fact that the earth is round.

If you want to spend time in a thread about the "Awesome little n900" reiterating what you've already said in other threads, at least do it properly. State your complaints and be done with it, but preferably in a thread that's fitting.

To sell a device with a price like for this and to let die the "Support" that means Updates after a halve year is just a terrible Fail.
You decided to buy the device. Live with it. And, please, stop reiterating what you think is "Fail". We get it, you're not satisfied.

You guys talking about foreign Linux at the Device okay this a great Feature but byside this look at this Forum how many People have Problems with there Devices, how many Bugs never will be fixed etc.
Again, a very weak argument. What you see on the forum are the ones with problems, fine, but what you don't see are the ones that are, at least, not bothered by the device and use it for what they want it for.

To argue that everything is "Fail" just because some have problems is just ... not intelligent. We get it, you're not satisfied, but please stop this spewing of reiterated un-satisfaction.

Like i said i was really optimistic form day one and did put a lot of work into my N900 tryed a lot but it still wont satisfy my needs about the Phone Part
There! See?! Your needs. You bought the wrong device. We get it, you're not satisfied, now please stop.

would it be so difficult for Nokia to develop Profiles, Groups for Contacts etc? This are basic features of any Phone since the last 5 years.
There is at least one community developed application that helps with this. Why Nokia didn't bother is as much a mystery to me as it is to you, but ask Nokia, stop repeating yourself here.

I wanted a Device where i have both a Mobile Phone and a little Computer like they advised at there Homepage not more and no less.
But, that's exactly what you got. It's an internet tablet with mobile phone capabilities slapped onto it. What ARE you complaining about? Really?!

But there are still some hardcore Linux Geeks that liveing in there small and soon dead Maemo World and if anybody comes and says hey iam not so happy like you then you will be a troll etc..
And this is the worst kind of "argument". Attacking the people and not their opinions is just the lowest form. If you continue to reiterate how unsatisfied you are in the way you do, why are you surprised that people dislike you and assume you're just here to piss in the pool?

We get it, you're not satisfied. Now please stop pissing in the pool.

Crown77, you have a GREAT way of insulting everybody who's not your opinion...

Thanks to Joorin I won't have to reply to that part where you go on flaming everybody who doesn't agree with you, just because you have that strange idea that when something does not fulfil YOUR needs, nobody is entitled to enjoy it.

Instead I'll focus on that part where you're flaming everybody who doesn't click "shop" when they are trying to get information on a product:

Well, this "abnormal" customer goes to "products", because normally that's where most of the information is to be found. But let's see, for all the "normal" users out there, what's written in the shop:

"It's a mobile phone. And a computer." - Fair enough, since at least for my device that's exactly what it is.

Then there's talk about it's mobile capacities. Strangely enough, most of what's written there is centring around the mobile INTERNET capacities...

Next paragraph is talking about the camera. Ah, there, at last something to complain about: It's advertising the video capabilities - something that's rather lacking on the N900. Happy we found something only partly true in their ad?

And then the final part, talking about Maemo, of how it combines the world of computers with the mobile world. Thanks to it's mobile INTERNET capabilities.

I still fail to see the part that is claiming it's a smartphone and mainly meant to be used for making phone calls (which it DOES perfectly well - just not in a smartphone ringtone-by-contact way). The only focus I can see, other than it being a computer, are the internet capabilities.

There, and now something on-topic, because this is meant to be a "Why I love N900" thread, not a "Everybody who likes N900 is a blind, abnormal Linux Geek".

Just installed Albion and tried playing for a while. It takes a while to get used to the default key-mapping (pressing space with your left hand and at the same time clicking the screen with the right), but it's a lot of fun. Wanted to replay this game, anyway (that's the reason why, despite of not being at home, I have the CD with me ), and being able to do so without being confined to my PC is a real gift.

Oh, and I got Eric to run in my Easy Debian, so now I can carry the comfort of IDE programming in my pocket (okay, I could do that before, too - but only because my cargo pants have pockets so huge that they can hold my netbook ).

And I had one of these "mobile internet everywhere" moments yesterday. A friend called me while I was asleep (not knowing that I have to work at night right now) and asked me a question - and there I was, looking up the information - from a website that none of the normal mobile browser are able to display - on my trusty night-time-music-player and then went back to sleep. Great!

Last edited by Nathraiben; 2010-07-07 at 15:19.

Posts: 9 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Oakville, Canada
I bought the device because I have more money then brains.

In all seriousness, with that being said - minus some of the very few imperfections *cough* mail client *cough*, it is a rock solid Internet device.

Besides all of the amazing functionality, It is pretty and it can make phone calls too. :P

I think Mish is bang on and I want to thank qole for his multitude of contributions because easy debian is amazing.

Long live Linux, Maemo, and the N900.

my $0.02

The Following User Says Thank You to fath0m For This Useful Post:

Tags
crown77 be, quiet and learn