Originally Posted by DrMurko View Post
And now for something completely different:
The main reason why the N800 will trump the iPod Touch:
When browsing, the ability to have the option to "Save picture"
Shows it has a real browser.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by namtastic View Post
Now... an iPhone designed as an unlocked phone might have been the breakout mass-market sensation that finally got citizens to care about the issue -- they definitely had the public momentum to do so. But they went with AT&T exclusivity because they needed them for features and support and that's exactly why networks are so annoyingly powerful in this business.
No, they went with AT&T exclusivety because anaylsts are conservatively predicting that Apple receives between $3 and $11 per month per subscriber from AT&T... Apple wouldn't be able to receive such fees if the phones were SIM free and unlocked, and Apple only receive the larger fee if customers switch to AT&T in order to obtain the iPhone (hence the exclusivety).

Apple have the product and the marketing which allows them to dictate their own terms to the network operators. They're repeating this story across Europe now, and will become a major global force in telecommunications in the future. The iPhone is their new mobile platform, it's a total money spinner, they'll earn far more income than Nokia or the others ever could on each phone, and the phones will only get better.

In addition to that, the iPhone platform is compatible with the iPod Touch, ensuring that developers will have a vast target audience for their applications, ensuring development snowballs. The closed nature of the devices is an issue right now, but I'm sure that will change in time, one way or another.

Last edited by Milhouse; 2007-09-09 at 20:54.

Posts: 874 | Thanked: 316 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ London UK
Who knows, Apple might even find it a logical step to introduce an iPod Touch Plus with a 5" 800 x 480 screen, built in microphone and speakers. A familiar form factor to most here, I am sure

I've read most of this thread and to be honest can see both sides of the argument - I'm a Macbook and N800/N770 owner - but from what I've been seeing I think Nokia have a bigger problem on their minds than the iPod Touch.

Over the last year the number of Nokia phones I see out and about has dropped dramatically and most people now seem to be using Sony Ericsson. I switched to the K800i, having been very dissatisfied with an N70 and moved to samsung. The rest of my family had moved long before me.

For me S60 killed the attraction of Nokia phones. The N70 was a truly atrocious phone, the N73 marginally better and the N95 is about the first S60 I've seen that has acceptable performance.

The Touch vs N800 argument is just a minor part of the problem.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Moot point. You have to look at your Internet Tablet in order to use it too. Only volume and full-screen and navigation (something you have to notice while looking at it) work well... and only one of them is something you can do without looking at it on the Nokia IT's.
Not moot at all. Again: DIFFERENT CORE USES. For the life of me I cannot see why that's so difficult to grasp. But I've already belabored it to death. No reason to drag out the jogging/reading example again.

I realize the Touchs and iPhones will be hugely popular and successful by Apple's standards (the iPhone possible less so based on current sales rates). But I still believe a lot of the euphoria will wear off once the coolness/practicality ration gets closer to reality than hype. The latter is what leads to the ridiculous "these things will totally kill Nokia's products" claims, and THAT is what I'm taking issue with in this thread.

Nokia is not going to roll over and die for Apple, folks.

Originally Posted by namtastic View Post
Yeah, there's a lot of reasons why the touch controls Apple added to the 4G were removed for the Click Wheel in the 5G. Believe me, I've owned both. Of course, if they had announced a remote for the iPod touch, that would have helped greatly..
Ooo, great idea! A little key fob-sized thing or even a remote headset that uses bluetooth to control the iPod Touch and--

oops.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by Rebski View Post
Who knows, Apple might even find it a logical step to introduce an iPod Touch Plus with a 5" 800 x 480 screen, built in microphone and speakers. A familiar form factor to most here, I am sure
That will be next years model, along with 32GB flash memory! The price of the existing models will be reduced so that the the $399 price point is still maintained. Speakers and microphone are over rated... that's what Bluetooth is for.

Last edited by Milhouse; 2007-09-09 at 22:01.

Posts: 874 | Thanked: 316 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ London UK
Speakers and microphone are over rated
I am sure you are right, I was just thinking in terms of voip and video chat. The built in items on the n800 make for a very convenient experience.

Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
That will be next years model, along with 32GB flash memory! The price of the existing models will be reduced so that the the $399 price point is still maintained. Speakers and microphone are over rated... that's what Bluetooth is for.
You know, seriously: if Apple did something like that (and they well may), THEN many of my current arguments fail. Until then, you guys are really reaching with these "exact same market segment" claims.

Posts: 169 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Brooklyn, NY
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
No, they went with AT&T exclusivety because anaylsts are conservatively predicting that Apple receives between $3 and $11 per month per subscriber from AT&T.
Ah, you're right, I blanked on that arrangement. Thanks for pointing that out.

Just goes to show that Apple is still a business, no matter how pretty their devices are.