Active Topics

Posts: 248 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on May 2010 @ New Zealand
A lot of the responses are similar to here, from what I can see (only read to p.5 & got bored) - it was theft, and although people may not like Apple, they had a right to pursue legal action. There were a few who didn't go along with this.

Interesting about the Foxconn suicide being raised in that discussion. The iPad launch in the UK was accompanied with a front page spread followed by 2-page leader about the iPad & 10 suicides at the plant in the months before it's release. That Sony & Nokia use the Foxconn mega-plant was mentioned, but not prominently as Apple.

The 'bleeding edge of technology', eh?

Mish.

Posts: 327 | Thanked: 249 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Λεμεσιανός, ρε!
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Are you saying that OpenMoko failed because they made open-source devices?
Hardware is a different proposition from software for a variety of reasons; materials, production, design, quality control, et.c. With large-scale open source software even if you don't have a large commercial entity backing the project you can end up with excellent, successful solutions. But hardware is a lot more expensive and complicated - at least until rapid prototyping and on-demand manufacture becomes dirt cheap. Until then, having a large commercial backer with enough clout and money to put together the production, such things will either fail or stay in the sidelines. I loved the idea of what Openmoko was but I was never under the illusion that it was going to work out any better than it did.

Still does not change my point about intellectual property involved in the hardware of prototype devices. Industrial espionage has always been an issue and this is no different.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to skalogre For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
Originally Posted by skalogre View Post
And don't say something like "well they could have used open-source hardware" - see OpenMoko for how well that works out.
Hardware was not the failure of OM. As an owner of a FreeRunner, I can tell you what killed the project was the constant base-shifting in the software. There are no less than 5 base images, all radically different (some doing direct access, some using X, some using dbus...), and none of them were 100% complete. Every hardware issue (and there were a couple) had fixes available within days, and often were repaired for the cost of shipping/dropping your device at a local retailer that supported them.

As for the blogger, it's part of the game. If you're accepting/reviewing devices that are not through an official pre-view channel, expect a smack down. It's all part of the "scoop" mentality where everyone wants to be the first, and it's pointless. In fact, with tech it's almost detrimental, since what you're reviewing may turn out to not be at all like what's released. The closer you get to the launched image, the better you are when it comes to doing an accurate review.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Keep knocking 'em down, then who will report about Nokia's products in the end?

At this rate, either they (Nokia) will have to start communicating more or risk nobody covering their products out of fear of even breaking an embargo by a few minutes or days.
I agree.

But Eldar annoyed me more because he reported on devices with you having no clue about the status of the device or OS. Either report it right or don't do it at all. And by right I mean a message warning that this review is based off an unfinished prototype.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,148 | Thanked: 613 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Toronto
I really like new Nokia. They are getting serious about their business and they want to become leading company again. Imagine if Eldar gets his hands on N9 or whatever MeeGo device comes out, that would be a disaster so he needs to STFU. I fully suppot Nokia

Google is a good company but when there is big money involved your mantra "dont be evil" wont work same goes for Nokia. I just hope they wont cross the line and become more like Crapple

"I'm a N900 user, can I haz Flash 10 plz?!11!?" © Jaffa

Elopocalypse started on 11.02.2011

The Following User Says Thank You to HellFlyer For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by HellFlyer View Post
I really like new Nokia. They are getting serious about their business and they want to become leading company again. Imagine if Eldar gets his hands on N9 or whatever MeeGo device comes out, that would be a disaster so he needs to STFU. I fully suppot Nokia

Google is a good company but when there is big money involved your mantra "dont be evil" wont work same goes for Nokia. I just hope they wont cross the line and become more like Crapple
I wouldn't mind any normal reviewer getting his mind on a prototype (legality aside). As long as they report it like that they're using a prototype. And showing more what's been included so far, pointing out bugs that hopefully get fixed rather than trying to review it like a finished device.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following User Says Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
Posts: 116 | Thanked: 156 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ North Yorkshire
Originally Posted by NvyUs View Post
while at same time doing consultancy work for Nokia rivals(i.e samsung)
I'm not condoning theft in the slightest. However, prototypes fall into competitors hands all the time.

In a past life, I worked for another mobile manufacturer (also in Scandinavia). They would regularly receive competitor prototypes to have a look at. It was almost (but never openly discussed) like they accepted that rivals would see each others hardware.

But, I do understand that this case isn't quite the same. It's a 3rd party publicly disclosing information he shouldn't have.

Posts: 1,148 | Thanked: 613 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Toronto
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
I wouldn't mind any normal reviewer getting his mind on a prototype (legality aside). As long as they report it like that they're using a prototype. And showing more what's been included so far, pointing out bugs that hopefully get fixed rather than trying to review it like a finished device.
That's the thing. He used to work for Nokia and for some reason he got fired and now he never writes anything good about Nokia. I know Russian and couple of days ago I was reading his live journal and his responses to comments. He said something like YES I have my sources to get prototypes and i wont disclose them ( which is somewhat ok) but then he writes that he wont return them to Nokia because he doesn't want to

"I'm a N900 user, can I haz Flash 10 plz?!11!?" © Jaffa

Elopocalypse started on 11.02.2011

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HellFlyer For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
Originally Posted by skalogre View Post
Industrial espionage has always been an issue and this is no different.
Yeah, I completely agree with this.

BTW, it wasn't always like this. I liked Eldar's review about the N900 last year. But clearly, there are lots of reviewers who respect better that something is just a prototype / pre-release device and don't review them as they were final ones.

And about the "sources" who steal devices from their employer: well, it is the right thing to do to shut them down.

I agree with Nokia: it was the right thing to do what they did.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Venemo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 218 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Germany , Thüringen
The Point is that Eldar got the "balls" against Nokia and tells the Community the truth about there Products and Politics. He have many followers so if he says for Example that Symbian 3 is garbage then the whole Mobile Press like Engadget and Co following him. I guess this is the real Problem behind the N8 Story.

But its allways the same like here if you say something thats the Truth but nobody wants to hear it then you get blamed.