So after reading these articles and viewing these comparison pictures I am starting to feel disappointed and ticked off because the n900 is supposed to be the best that Nokia can offer and yet its has **** for hardware.

All the other smart phones have 512mb ram
We get just 256

Our screens dont have retina or amoled technologies

We dont get HDMI out or wireless dlna but just generic VGA

Many other smartphones get wireless n speeds of 200mbps
we get just 54mbps

Many other smartphones have 1280x760 video resolution @ 30fps
we have a lousy 800x400 resolution @ 20~fps

Other smartphones are sleek, sharp and light,
Our phones are bricks and heavy

Other smartphones get better battery's and better battery life.
We get virtually the worst battery life of all smart phones

Other smartphone's graphics chip push almost 30 gpu triangles/s
Our phones graphics chip pushs just 14 gpu triangles/s

Please discuss ! thanks

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets...stats_v2.0.jpg

http://alienbabeltech.com/main/?p=17125

http://alienbabeltech.com/main/wp-co...recompari1.png

Last edited by yodawg; 2010-07-08 at 02:17.

The Following User Says Thank You to yodawg For This Useful Post:
Bogus. The N900 uba pwnz!
If you dont like, dont buy it or sell it if you already got it.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to stone17 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
/grabs popcorn

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cfh11 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 101 | Thanked: 91 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Dallas TX
it was best of best when it was desing and released :P back in december all those phones you compare with were non existant or in development

plus I personally still prefer maemo to the other phones OS, look at the specs of the n8, they are top notch but they decided to go with symbian because meemo devices are going to be top top HW, nokia always has the best HW devices at least 6 months before everyone else does

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Dr.Marcial For This Useful Post:
i got the n900 and like it but my friend basically dropped this argument on me today with these links and i didnt have any comebacks so im here to try to discuss this matter to gain knowledge

Posts: 311 | Thanked: 110 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Boston, MA
Hmm I dont know if I would say dissapointing.

I will agree that the n900 could do with more physical memory than 256MB however on thinking about it in the 7 months I've owned mine I have not gotten an out of memory once! (there is virtual memory too which is slower but still it helps a lot...)

256MB on the root fs however is somewhat restrictive even with the fixes put in for pr1.2, I have been down to 12kb as ovi store downloads into /var/tmp

Retina display and amoled... I feel that retina display is a bit of a marketing gimmic, it is 640 x 960 and the N900 is 800 x 480. Its definately a higher resolution than the n900 but is it really that visible to the naked eye, my n900 looks pretty damn sharp to me, so is retina really that much better? As for amoled, I have heard reports that while it is brighter and sharper it is harder to read in bright sunshine - this is not a problem I ever have with the n900 which is great!

Battery life for all smart phones seems on par with the n900, maybe the n900 is a little worse but I dont know I only have an n900...

The form factor (brick) could be much better but its got a physical keyboard which is great, I wish it was thinner but I cannot really complain its not that bad at all for whats packed into it! Check out the motorola droid/milestone which is slimmer than the n900 and packs a keyboard however the keyboard from what you read sucks as the keys are all flat and its harder to type on! The droid also packs a larger screen at 3.7" which is what Nokia should have done for the N900 from the get go...

In terms of processors it seems to be that this year has really been the year of the 1Ghz snapdragon processor, the N900 came out last november so it is somewhat dated now. However when you consider the OS it more than makes up for it, it is also still a pretty potent CPU with users reporting overclocking to around 1Ghz possible.

There is definately room for improvement with the n900 and hopefully nokia takes all of this into consideration for the upcoming meego device.

The problem with mobiles and electronics in general nowadays is that the minute you buy the latest device from any company, give it a week and it is old hat as some other company has come out with something bigger and better!

I for one am still very happy with my n900 and find it is continually up to everything I throw at it...

Last edited by jer006; 2010-07-08 at 02:20.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to jer006 For This Useful Post:
just tell them why they comparing 2010 phones to a 2009 phone. wait till the n9 come out then you can drop the bomb back at them.

The Following User Says Thank You to qt4eva For This Useful Post:
Posts: 311 | Thanked: 110 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Boston, MA
Throw the capabilities back in their face i.e. how many other phones can you get to the x-terminal right out of the box. No rooting or jailbreaking required!

Also look at extra's devel and testing and the great application that are developed, some of them are not mobile applications but full ports of linux desktop software - how many phones can run open office for example?

Also the app stores that companies continually boast about, apps really fill holes in the capabilities of the devices. Until froyo (android 2.2) Maemo was the only device with build in flash, this meant you had the full web at your disposal unlike the iphone where you need an app to do pretty much anything online...

The N900 is a mobile computer which can make phone calls...

If thats not impressive then I dont know what is!

Oh and lastly my n900 has 48GB of storage inside (32GB built in with a 16GB SD Micro installed) what other device bar a portable hard drive or an expensive USB key can boast that level of storage?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jer006 For This Useful Post:
its a great phone but this news kinda hit me hard and i needed to escape to my lair of maemo.org to gather my thoughts with my council (forum members) before beginning my verbal defensive assault on my colleague who challenged the n900 with these arguments

its just that other companies are constantly improving and upgrading and releasing better technologies while the best thing nokia has is its flagship n900 which to the mainstream is a dud and is RAPIDLY losing steam both hardware wise and software wise without any support from the big N who is too busy trying to make more failures like the n97 with the n8/9
with nokia it seems their motto should change from
"connecting people" to
"too little too late" or
"our company execs stopped caring a while ago"

Last edited by yodawg; 2010-07-08 at 02:28.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yodawg For This Useful Post:
Posts: 741 | Thanked: 900 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Auckland NZ
Originally Posted by yodawg View Post
i got the n900 and like it but my friend basically dropped this argument on me today with these links and i didnt have any comebacks so im here to try to discuss this matter to gain knowledge
I've had mine since November and at the time there was no Android or Apple phone that came close to it. A friend and I were upgrading at the same time and his Android phone which was the best Android at the time was outdated 3 months later. The N900 performed way better than it when launched.

The long life of the N900 as the "top" Nokia device is due to bad business choices by Nokia. I would have preferred to see a second Maemo device ship within 6 months after the N900 but of course it didn't happen and now we have to wait for MeeGo.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maluka For This Useful Post: