Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 122 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Turku, Finland
Good day fellow maemoers!

I created this simple app quite so quickly, but it seems stable and bug free to me and it also hosts some nice features.

It's a counting app, and the UI contains just a button with a number (other than the app menu). Clicking that button increases that number by one (counts up). It can be useful for counting visitors coming to an event you're hosting or similiar, basically anywhere you need to do simple counting (you can do it in your head, but sometimes you don't want to get lost, and sometimes it can be a whole lot easier to just tap a screen).

Other features, than the button with basic counting are:
  • Save/load: will ask if you want to save your count when exiting. It will then automatically load that the next time you launch the application
  • Subtract by one: subtracts one from your count. Good if you mistakely hit the screen
  • Set value: will set the value to whatever you want
  • Reset count: resets the count to zero, if you want to start from the begining
  • Copy to clipboard: copies the current state (number) your count is at so you can paste that text into another application
  • Portrait mode support: all parts of the application are 100% usable in portrait and landscape mode. Screen is automatically rotated, as you would expect
The following are new in v1.1:
  • Keyboard controls support
  • Volume/zoom keys support
  • Confirm on reset
  • Note saying the app has copied the value to the clipboard when it has done that

I will very much appreciate your ideas (although I want to keep this application simple, but that doesn't mean it isn't allowed to have some good features in it) and reports about any bugs you have experienced while using this application. Hope you will have some use of it!

*Extras version (1.0)
*Extras Testing version (v1.1)

Last but not least, some screenshots:
Attached Images

Last edited by antoarts; 2010-08-14 at 18:38. Reason: Updates

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to antoarts For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,091 | Thanked: 323 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ ~
Although I don't need it, why not use the accelerometer? Shake, then count++. With an option to turn it off, obviously. Rotating the screen could be done with a menu option, right?

The Following User Says Thank You to ToJa92 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ToJa92 View Post
Although I don't need it, why not use the accelerometer? Shake, then count++. With an option to turn it off, obviously. Rotating the screen could be done with a menu option, right?
Quite a good idea, I will think about that whenever I start working on a new version

Posts: 1,091 | Thanked: 323 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ ~
Originally Posted by antoarts View Post
Quite a good idea, I will think about that whenever I start working on a new version
If you add this, consider adding a sensitivity option as well, like the Pedometer widget does(that way you can control how easy it should be to add one to the count).

The Following User Says Thank You to ToJa92 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 19 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Sevilla
install but when you open closes

Launch it from the terminal:

python2.5 /opt/oneup/one_up.py

what do you get for output in the terminal?

Posts: 356 | Thanked: 172 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
I've used the counting app from Ovi a number of times, and the one thing I've noticed every time is that tapping the screen can be a bit hit-or-miss (so to speak ) sometimes..

Since your app seems to already put that one to shame with features, why not add one more:

Allow the use of the rocker (volume) buttons to count up/down

That would be much more reliable IMO.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bingley Joe For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Bingley Joe View Post
I've used the counting app from Ovi a number of times, and the one thing I've noticed every time is that tapping the screen can be a bit hit-or-miss (so to speak ) sometimes..

Since your app seems to already put that one to shame with features, why not add one more:

Allow the use of the rocker (volume) buttons to count up/down

That would be much more reliable IMO.
Thanks for that request as well, good idea IMO

The Following User Says Thank You to antoarts For This Useful Post:
I think I have found the problem. It lies within portrait.py (file to turn device into portrait). It imports gpodder, as this script was originally for gpodder, but the program now won't start on devices without gpodder installed. Will upload a new version within some moments, sorry

Posts: 663 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London, UK
two small ideas/thoughts;
an "undo" button for if the reset is accidentally hit.
if the app crashes of the phone dies will the program remember its place?
Nokia are a business and have chosen a path of using the OSS community phenomenon to reduce their overheads specifically after sales support and development. Unlike Apple who do the opposite and make a killing from their Applications store.