Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
Originally Posted by DataPath View Post
Yes, I am, and the SSU doesn't address the buggy BME (apparently charging an N8x0 with aged batteries can, under some circumstances, crash BME, which causes the tablet to reboot), nor the N800 USB-OTG switching bug (rapid-fire "USB Device Not Supported" notifications).
Well, you learn something new everyday.

My N800 battery is getting a bit tired these days after over 2 1/2 years use, so I swapped in the battery from my 770, just to see the damn thing reboot, and or shutdown after about 5 minutes.

I reckon I now know why. Thanks

Nokia 770 (2gb) since Aug 2007
Nokia N800 (32gb) since Dec 2007
Nokia N810 (16gb) since Sep 2009
Nokia N900 (64gb) since Aug 2010 ______________________________

Well, guys, we need to make some noise so that people know that it's important to us that the BME problem is fixed. I know the BME is closed-source, but I think there was at least a rough implementation in Mer, so I think if someone can point us in the right direction, we can probably get this problem fixed (and switch a closed component for an open one).

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by DataPath View Post
Well, guys, we need to make some noise so that people know that it's important to us that the BME problem is fixed. I know the BME is closed-source, but I think there was at least a rough implementation in Mer, so I think if someone can point us in the right direction, we can probably get this problem fixed (and switch a closed component for an open one).
BME on N8x0 is a minefield since the charging is much more controlled by software and hence I highly doubt it would be open sourced or easily replacable. On N900 it is more likely due to the fact it is mostly managed in a safe manner by a chip. Do you have a bug report for the BME problem?
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following User Says Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
BME on N8x0 is a minefield since the charging is much more controlled by software and hence I highly doubt it would be open sourced or easily replacable. On N900 it is more likely due to the fact it is mostly managed in a safe manner by a chip. Do you have a bug report for the BME problem?
Bug #6206 for the BME problem, and Bug #9314 for getting an open BME (in response to Nokia's unwillingness to fix #6206)

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DataPath For This Useful Post:
Another proof of concept:

MeeGo Handset UX in software rendering mode on Nokia N810 MeeGo image: http://forum.meego.com/showpost.php?p=5508&postcount=47

Have fun.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Another proof of concept:

MeeGo Handset UX in software rendering mode on Nokia N810 MeeGo image: http://forum.meego.com/showpost.php?p=5508&postcount=47

Have fun.
Thanks for posting. This statement from the linked thread intrigues me:

maemo diablo will never work with later kernels, diablo uses a kernel modified by nokia/maemo and breaks with later mainline or omap
Which kernel are we stuck with - 2.6.33? What, exactly, breaks with 2.6.34 or omap tree?

Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
Thanks for posting. This statement from the linked thread intrigues me:

maemo diablo will never work with later kernels, diablo uses a kernel modified by nokia/maemo and breaks with later mainline or omap
Which kernel are we stuck with - 2.6.33? What, exactly, breaks with 2.6.34 or omap tree?
My MeeGo setup runs on 2.6.35-rc3. Diablo might break on some interfaces which is no longer in mainline as it's built around another kernel version. I try to make it possible to dual-boot together with a flasher though.

The Following User Says Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
My opinion is that Modest is too broke to fix. Use Claws.
:P
would love to, except claws do not have two line display of inbox (that is to say, cant show the title of a mail on a separate line from sender and date).

Thread referenced now has pictures and video as well - thanks to bef0rd.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
and the interface looked acceptably responsive even given the hardware and being software rendered.