@pfontana77 what kind of activity have you been performing when you took those graphs?

Posts: 55 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Italy
Originally Posted by slender View Post
@ pfontana77,
I do not know what you have posted to this to topic before but you probably realize that your device is not working as it should if that graph represents your device in idle state (screen off and programs closed)

No titans or any other kernel tweaking or actually any other tweak is going to make things better if your discharge is happening on that state.
Hello Slender,
in the period between 10.00 to 13.00 the phone was screen locked, but with 3G Internet Connection always on with Skype and GTalk online.

I think that with actual Titans configuration i gain a +10% of battery life, howerver is far from to achieve my obiective of 12-14 hrs before recharging.

However there's a big part of the consumption that is not CPU related, for this component the Titan's Kernel can't do anything. The point is to maximize the power saving from CPU and Kernel related components.

@ JorgeFX
The activity was:
This is the actual configuration:
1) 3G always enabled
2) Internet connection on 3G with Skype and GTalk active
3) Foreca Widget (2 hrs refresh)
4) GMail IMAP (30 mins refresh)
5) 20 mins of phone call (before 10.00)
6) 40 mins of bluetooth headphone connected. (before 10.00)
7) 15 mins of media player playng audio. (before 10.00)

Essentially from 10 to 13 the onlyt activity is a passive 3G Internet connection ...

Last edited by pfontana77; 2010-07-14 at 14:18.

I will check my online cpu activity to see if yours is better or not because it looks like you have much cpu load

Posts: 284 | Thanked: 74 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Originally Posted by Marlon View Post
I just hammer it daily and carry a spare battery. I want the most of the device, I want instant mail pickup and why suffer a dull screen and 2G speeds just to avoid plugging it in?
+1

I get 1 day without caring about how much i use it as ive got the spare battery for when it runs out.

I think i know why the battery drain. Before, my battery drain about 10-20% when fully charge even when leave it on standby overnight. I didn't have any wi-fi or anything on.

Just yesterday, I started using Autodisconnect and set some of the settings suggested like wifi to 10W and wifi power to intermediate and now my battery still full even leave it overnight. It only start draining when i am using phone or internet ect.....8hrs later within those 8hrs i been using internet, talking on phone and only then did it start to drain to 80%. And i didn't even realize my GPS was "on" all this time. Now i am switching it off since people say it's also saving battery.

Anyway, there is no question that my battery is much much better. I like the fact that when it's in idle mode...it won't be draining like it used to be...which is ridiculous.

Posts: 120 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Queens, NY
What drains my battery from 100% to "battery low" is when I'm at work. I have almost no signal at work because I work in the basement, but from time to time I get something. Switching back and forth from no signal to some type of 3G drains my battery within 4 hours. I have a bad habit on being on my phone even if I'm not doing anything. So for now on I need to just disconnect everything while I'm at work and only connect on my break where I can go and get some signal.

I will give this autodisconnect app a try cause it sounds pretty good from what I read.

---
Who but me?!
--HeavyC.

Last edited by HeavyComponent; 2010-07-14 at 23:43.

The Following User Says Thank You to HeavyComponent For This Useful Post:
Posts: 355 | Thanked: 245 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Northern VA
Well I feel like an idiot, I have had AT&T the entire time I have had the device and for some reason even though I had the wifi set to 10mw I never set it to GSM 2G only. I only took a look at it after this thread. I have no widgets currently on my desktop, and I just changed WiFi to intermediate to see if there is any effect. Concerning Smartflex has anyone who has tried it lately noticed any sort of instability, I am not using any custom kernels and I am on pr1.2 via OTA update, does that make any difference?

*side note- This is why I love this community, and will give the next Meego device a shot, months later and there are still people tweaking and experimenting with the device and even though I'll probably get more battery life because my dumbass didnt disable Dual mode on AT&T as a result of this thread, the fact that threads like this still pop up and help so many users months after the device release is so awesome. Oh yeah was around Iphone4 dudes at lunch and they were talking about how awesome face****chat was, so on 2.5g I made a vid call on gchat to someone at the office and they were floored, saying stuff like how can you do that not even on 3g??

Well, this morning another test result.

In this case i've used a modified Titan's settings based on the ULV profile, but with MAXIMUM FREQUENCY = 750 and SMART REFLEX = 1 on VDD1.

I was expecting a better result, instead is worse than IDEAL settings, see the first image: 1st block with standard kernel, 2nd block with Titan's IDEAL, 3rd block with modified ULV setting.

One more test that i've done is to leave the phone with wifi and same chat configuration active overnight. The result are pretty interesting, because the battery consumption is VERY less than the 3G connection. See the 2nd image attached (the one with blue background)

The thing that i'm not fully explain is the reason for this battery draining with 3G Internet connection, despite is quita a passive connection. Is not 3G itself to absorb so much power, as you see in the 2nd image in which 3G was enabled without internet connection + Wifi internet connection on, is the 3G Internet Connection to drain a drammatic amount of power, even if you are do nothing that be online on Skype and GTalk.

Any ideas?
Attached Images

Posts: 116 | Thanked: 39 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Finland
Interesting that your phone's CPU seems to be doing much less work with Wi-fi instead of 3G. What could cause such a thing

edit. Of course the Wi-fi test was done by night. Were you using you phone much when doing those day tests? It is not a surprise that even a passive 3g connection is a battery eater. I tested it and the battery will get empty in 15-18 hours with it.

How about doing same tests without GTalk or skype (and both) on?

Last edited by zimmerit; 2010-07-15 at 14:29.

Originally Posted by zimmerit View Post
Interesting that your phone's CPU seems to be doing much less work with Wi-fi instead of 3G. What could cause such a thing

edit. Of course the Wi-fi test was done by night. Were you using you phone much when doing those day tests?

How about doing same tests without GTalk or skype (and both) on?
During the period from 10 to 13 i don't use the phone, is locked. The only activity that occur during the day test is that i use gtalk and skype on my pc, and this cause that the phone chat intercept this message and save it in conversations, but i've no vibration at all, only very short sound. Consider that this occur for about 30 minutes distributed during this time period.

More test will come tomorrow, i think that i will try powertop also.

Tags
bad at counting, switch all off