Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 324 | Thanked: 371 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Vancouver, BC
Any advanced user want to do a bit of beta testing? I've worked on a new storage system (using sqlite3). I'd need a few users who are not afraid of losing their read/unread status, and of the command line to test the upgrade mechanism.

Note that if there are changes needed based on the feedback, this version might not have an upgrade path (meaning you'd have to uninstall FeedingIt, cleanup and reinstall).

Instructions:
- Make an OPML backup of your feeds (Manage Subscriptions->Export as OPML), to be safe
- Download and install the beta version: https://garage.maemo.org/frs/downloa....0-0_armel.deb
- Open up the X-terminal, and type: FeedingIt
This will start up the app, and start the upgrade process (it can take quite a long time). If you're getting any errors in the terminal, please send them to me.
- Once the upgrade is complete, look around the app, and the new widget
- Send me your feedback by Private Message on this forum

If all goes well, this will be uploaded to Extras-devel within a day or two for a larger testing group.

Anyone doing it will have my eternal gratitude .

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slocan For This Useful Post:
I tried, here is a first bug: when selecting a previously archived article, I got

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/opt/FeedingIt/rss_sqlite.py", line 402, in importOldFormatFeeds
images = feed.getImages(item)
File "/opt/FeedingIt/rss.py", line 383, in getImages
return self.entries[id]["images"]
KeyError: 'images'
FeedingIt.py:1111: GtkWarning: gdk_drawable_set_colormap: assertion `cmap == NULL || gdk_drawable_get_depth (drawable) == cmap->visual->depth' failed
gtk.main()
Aborted

The Following User Says Thank You to SaintGermain For This Useful Post:
I also tried the widget and noticed some bug (haven't tried it before, so maybe it's old bug) :
- I can only view the 3 first articles of a feed
- the viewed articles don't get marked as 'read' after I read them with the widget

Everything else seem fine ! Good work !

Thanks a lot for the feedback. The error you quoted is indeed very interesting, shows the Archived Articles didn't import properly, but the rest did (which is nice to see). The GtkWarning message though is much less nice...
Originally Posted by SaintGermain View Post
- I can only view the 3 first articles of a feed
- the viewed articles don't get marked as 'read' after I read them with the widget
- You should see in the widget all the unread articles, it probably happens you only have 3 unread articles (I hope that's what it is).
- You don't really "read" articles in the widget, you just browse the titles, so they remain unread until you open the app. I was considering another button as a "Mark as read", but didn't really see where it'd fit.

Hello,

About the 3 articles limitation of the widget, unfortunately no, I have 80 unread articles... But I don't know if it's the new version or not (haven't used the widget before)
By the way I'm with PR1.2 and with extra-devel repository enable.

Originally Posted by SaintGermain View Post
Hello,

About the 3 articles limitation of the widget, unfortunately no, I have 80 unread articles... But I don't know if it's the new version or not (haven't used the widget before)
By the way I'm with PR1.2 and with extra-devel repository enable.
The old widget couldn't display articles, so it definitely is only in the new version . I've made some updates, and will push something into Extras-devel, either late tonight, or tomorrow, which hopefully fixes that.
Thanks much!

The Following User Says Thank You to Slocan For This Useful Post:
Hi Slocan,

I have updated to 0.8.0. Glad to report db update went smoothly.
The updated widget is quite nice, but I don't use it so didn't test too much.

However, I did hit a bug. It seems like viewing the feed content in portrait mode, swiping action will trigger the windows to jump to landscape then revert back to portrait. This issue seems a little random at times, but I could consistent reproduce it when opening a feed for the first time and swipe either left or right. Any swiping afterward doesn't trigger landscape mode (though I can see the title bar still behaves like the windows is changing to landscape mode... hope you know what I mean).

As always, thanks for keeping polishing the app!

The Following User Says Thank You to sony123 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sony123 View Post
I have updated to 0.8.0. Glad to report db update went smoothly.
Great, thanks!

Originally Posted by sony123 View Post
It seems like viewing the feed content in portrait mode, swiping action will trigger the windows to jump to landscape then revert back to portrait.
Yes, that actually existed in earlier versions too when swiping in portrait mode to the left. If you swipe to the right (next article down the list), it doesn't do the flickering.

The Following User Says Thank You to Slocan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 546 | Thanked: 85 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Winnipeg, Canada
Originally Posted by edgar2 View Post
you're aware of the comic-widget? you can resize the comics to fit the whole desktop.
Thanks for the tip. I checked that out along with anything else Maemo has available now. The widget is ok, but it's not resizable itself, so I still have to open the local copy of the comic in the browser, which is does support directly so it is a step in the right direction.

For me I'll still just pull out my reading glasses to read them in FeedingIt. It's a lot nicer to have them in the same place I read all my other news.

TX
N800 | 2 x 8gb OCX SD | Boxwave Anti-glare SS | PDAir book-style case
Holux M-1200 bluetooth GPS | iGo 4-row bluetooth keyboard | Linksys USB 10/100 ethernet | Plantronics Voyager 855 BT Headset

updated! sorting and hiding read feeds/articles doesn't work anymore...