Hi Folks,

Well having owned an iphone 3gs for 7 months, after waiting too long for my n900 to turn up I have decided to sell it and quench my need to find out what could have been. I am now the proud owner of an n900

I see this forum still has its negative tendencies but Ill tell ya having only played with the device since wednesday the iphone/android devices cant compete for those who want a bit of techy in their phone. I-phone has its gazillion "apps" but most of the time the only things I used were facebook and engadget (where the n900 would keep creeping up to haunt my impatient decision to desert) which realistically are only simplified web pages with an icon.

The touch screen repsonsiveness to the finger is the only place I would say the n900 has fallen short for me as I dont alway want to pull out the stylus for simple tasks (and it did leave my colleagues looking at me with a combination of pity and caution of sanity when they tried to navigate it as they would an iphone, when showing it round the office).

Trying to catch up on 7 months of n900 updates through the forum so far (cant wait to try ubuntu dual booting once the mouse pointer is sorted) but thought I would say Im glad to be back and it ain't all negative! The n900 aint dead as some posts below would have you believe.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cferrism For This Useful Post:
Posts: 88 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ London
welcome cferrism......glad to see positivity from users.......although i've not had much bad xperiences with the touch screen's responsiveness as much.....u just have to stop using it as an iphone and use it like a n900......i've had friends xpect the desktops fly from one to the other with a light flick.....hehe.....if only they knew wat this baby can do (n900 that is)......

glad you could join "us"
i myself waited about 6 months to be able to buy the n900
its the best device i ever had

take in account that even if few people make a lot of noise, there are a lot of people happy with their n900 who remain silent

Welcome!

The Following User Says Thank You to clasificado For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,751 | Thanked: 844 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sweden
You will learn to love the stylus. Understand that coming from the iphone using the nail instead could be little different. But for browsing, clicking small links and other things makes up for it. The usability is a lot better on a resistive screen compared to a capacitive.

Cheers folks! I never doubted it clasificado and wasn't trying to preach to the choir :-)

lol....give it another 5months and lets see if you will still like the n900. Don't get me wrong, good hardware, but support from Nokia is missing. Dev's don't want to develop because nokia has given up on the n900. We don't even know if n900 will run meego or what ever nokia will call it next. I really hope they have something out by october because a LOT of people here (probably including you) will jump ship.... I am just waiting to see what happens before i decide on what my next phone will run. Android is looking REALLY tempting everyday.

Posts: 61 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Dallas, Texas
I have had my n900 for five months, and I love it. I do love the stylus, and wouldn't want a phone without one now.

I almost never used the stylus (yes I have large fingers) and I don`t find any difficulties hitting links etc with fingers. I use the stylus rarely for marking text. No capacitive display can be that accurate with/without fingers.

Posts: 128 | Thanked: 232 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ New Jersey, USA
Originally Posted by cferrism View Post
Trying to catch up on 7 months of n900 updates through the forum so far
Try reading Maemo Weekly News, it's a bit of a news feed and a bit of editorial content, that tells you about the most interesting breakthroughs of the last week. (be sure to browse through all the different sections, downloads, devices, etc.)

I eagerly await Monday mornings for the latest updates, that I as an avid reader of TMO, have missed. I would highly suggest starting on the Feb 1st edition and making my way forward, so there's some continuity to the developments.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lostinmirkwood For This Useful Post: