Active Topics

Posts: 28 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ The Netherlands
Interesting blog about the Nokia vs Apple

"When two elephants fight, the loser is the jungle." --Ancient proverb

http://mobileopportunity.blogspot.co...and-apple.html

Posts: 92 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Toulouse, France
"Nokia openly declared that it's a computing company … but its non-phone products so far have been different flavors of lame."

It's been my view for some time that the problem with Apple is that they make very good software (particularly their OS) and then cripple it my forcing you to run it on their substandard hardware. (Of course, they make some very good hardware but price it beyond the regular user's reach. I assume that they sell much more of the low end stuff.) In that respect, Nokia might appear to be their (distorted) mirror image.

The iPhone and the iPod Touch illustrate this: they have far inferior screens to those of the 770 and N800 but their multitouch interface is (I'm told) much better than the menu-heavy Hildon. So what wins, the screen or the interface?

In the gadget market, Apple's superior software has given them a clear advantage. When it comes to more general computing, it's not so clearcut. After using an iBook for three years, I finally concluded that good software doesn't, in the end, outweigh lousy hardware. Mind you, it took me three years to reach that point.

Ideally, of course, we shouldn't have to compromise on either hardware or software. I want a device that has a big screen (maybe 6 inches) with a resolution of at least 800 × 480 and multitouch. Unfortunately for me, I want it NOW.