Notices

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
ahockersten - question for you:

Would it be possible to go back pages without forcing the user to "undo" zoom settings first?

For example, as things stand if I open an article on BBC News I tend to have to zoom in the page to read the text (which is fine) and when I want to go back a page (ie. back to the main articles page to choose another article to read) I hit the "back" button (bottom left corner of screen) which currently "undoes" the zoomed in view, and then I have to hit the back button a second time to actually go back one page.

I would much prefer, even if it's made an option in settings, to go back one page with one tap of the "back" button. If I want to "undo" the zoom (ie. zoom out) I'm happy to do that by double tapping somewhere on the page.

Hopefully you understand what I mean!

Originally Posted by ahockersten View Post
Thanks for pointing this out. I agree that this is the way it should work. Of course, if we have this it's no longer possible to do something else while waiting for a page to load in Opera (which may be the reason it works like it does now, ohrn implemented this so I want to check with him before changing any behavior).
No problem - loving Opera 10.1 on N900 so happy to help try and make it better!

Presumably there are rules for when JS can be suspended - what would happen if a page is loading and I blank the screen? Will the JS be suspended both before/during/after the page has loaded? Should the same rules apply when the Opera window isn't maximised (possibly)? Or should JS only be put into a suspended state once the page has loaded?

Either way I'll leave it in your capable hands!

Is anyone else having issues pulling up Facebook using Opera Mobile?

I just seem to get a bunch of code every time I log in. I tried searching the forum and I did see that some other people seem to be ok when using Facebook but no issues I could see.

Posts: 455 | Thanked: 278 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Oregon, USA
keep up the great work ahockersten!

that's funny, when i was in Göteborg last month, I met another Opera developer

Posts: 14 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Athens, Greece
Originally Posted by Rob1n View Post
See here.
Heh, well spoken. I'd rather have some sort of HTML5 video than flash anyway.

Originally Posted by ohrn View Post
You can disable automatic screen rotation in the settings.

/ohrn
Amazing app. Loved it during my N73 days. Loving it now.

A small lying-down-sideways-in-bed-and-browsing issue though . I am not able to force Opera to remain in either landscape or portrait. All the three screen rotation options behave just like auto rotate. Also, I am not sure why the browser goes into portrait mode when it is held in inverted position (microphone at top). I tried restarting the app and restarting N900, but it did not help.

The smooth interfaces, tab management, touch to zoom, automatically rendering text flow within screen features are awesome.

But it is a bit power hungry though. Is it possible to include a mommy-said-no-CPU-to-you-when-application-not-in-focus option? Then it will be ridiculously awesome.

Originally Posted by logicavenue View Post
A small lying-down-sideways-in-bed-and-browsing issue though . I am not able to force Opera to remain in either landscape or portrait. All the three screen rotation options behave just like auto rotate.
Same here - I have Opera set to landscape, yet it still switches into portrait mode if you rotate the device sufficiently, which is easy to do when reading in bed/lying down. This "issue" has been present in both 10 and 10.1. Would much rather that it were possible to "lock" Opera it into a specific orientation, which is presumably what the "portrait/landscape/automatic" option is designed to control (but doesn't).

Great job guys!.. the new version has fixed the previous version's turbo mode and is now only slightly slower than Opera Mini (when put against it on my SE Vivaz). Its usable now compared to broken pictures, half loaded HTML etc that the old version was doing!

Posts: 38 | Thanked: 280 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
Originally Posted by logicavenue View Post
A small lying-down-sideways-in-bed-and-browsing issue though . I am not able to force Opera to remain in either landscape or portrait. All the three screen rotation options behave just like auto rotate. Also, I am not sure why the browser goes into portrait mode when it is held in inverted position (microphone at top). I tried restarting the app and restarting N900, but it did not help.
The rotation options not working is definitely a bug, and I can reproduce it.

Portrait mode when the device is being held in an inverted position is consistent with how Nokia's phone app does it, so I don't regard that as a bug (there's really no "correct way" to rotate the screen in this scenario, as Maemo doesn't support inverted portrait mode, afaik).

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ahockersten For This Useful Post:
Posts: 38 | Thanked: 280 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
By the way, thank you all once again for all your kind words, bug reports and criticism!

A sort of related question: So far, I have not seen any report indicating that you think anything has changed for the worse with this testing build. Even all the reported bugs so far seem to concern stuff that was broken in the previous build. If it really is the case that nothing is worse then that's fantastic news of course, but I doubt it.

The Following User Says Thank You to ahockersten For This Useful Post:

Tags
fast browser, opera