Originally Posted by eitama View Post
Hi,

In order to get internet connectivity from this "ad-hoc" connection - you should allow what is called "Internet Connection Sharing" on your windows PC.
This is supported on windows since WIN98-SE and on, and has gotten to be much simpler since windows XP and on.

To allow sharing of your internet connection :
1. Locate the network interface which actually connects you to the internet. Lets say it is "Network connection 1"
2. Right click it in the "Manage interfaces / adapters" or however it is called (depends on what windows you are using), and enable the "Share this connection with other..."
3. If you have more then 2 network interfaces, will be asked to indicate to which interface you would like to share this connection, choose your "Wireless interface". HIt ok.
4. Connect your PC to the internet, establish the ad-hoc network between you n900 and the PC, make sure DHCP is enabled on your n900, (if you don't know what it is, then it is probably already in DHCP mode, as it is default).

You should now have internet, both on PC and n900, providing the PC is on.
I have the problem that I cannot use "Internet Connection Sharing" because I am inside a company network (domain) and there are some group policies that do not allow this. At least I have administrator privileges on my work computer (win xp). I thought about using a proxy to connect my N900 via Bluetooth to the Internet connection of my pc.

Will that work ? Any hint how to configure this?

Thanks

Posts: 128 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Switzerland
I am also in same situation like you. As there are some group policies, I cannot enable the "internet connection sharing" at my work. I have tried so many options, but dosen't work.

If you find something, pls share.

Sorry, your reply got lost in my spam folder.

I am know quite convinced that the fact that I cannot share the internet connection inside the company network (at least via wlan) is of course good for the security of the companies data and that anything I may try is a kind of hack or attack.

There is even a phrase for that:Rogue Access Points
If you succeed to share your internet connection via wifi may be few days later your sysadmin knocks at your door.

That is not my intention. When I am abroad I am using a usb stick and share the connection via Umts between my laptop and the n900. I am using the windows software Virtual Accesspoint for that. That works fine and is a lot of fun. When I have to work in my office it is probably good that I play not too much with the n900.

I am using BSNL Broadband in my laptop... In my N900 in the internet connection it shows the wifi (ITI in my case) but when i click on it, after some times it gives a message that "could not retrive IP Address"

PLEASE HELP !!!

Posts: 1,425 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hong Kong
Originally Posted by woodyear99 View Post
Hi

I am trying to connect my laptop to my N900 GPRS connection using the DUN profile from the extra repo. I was able to get to the "registering on network" notification but it just hangs there and eventually disconnects, I keep retrying but no luck. Have this issue with both windows 7 and windows xp on my asus netbook. Any idea on what I can try? I use the *99# phone number to dial out and no username/pass needed for my connection...

Any idea wat I can try?
Bluetooth-DUN would have issues with some mobile carriers. You may try Bluetooth-PAN instead:

[HOWTO] N900 Bluetooth-PAN Tethering (N900 supplies Internet Access for PC)

To all those who has problem connect to WiFi, please try setting the wifi hotspot to (support) adhoc mode or turn off powersaving on N900 (for that wifi profile only).

I can only get my Windows 7 x64 system (wired) to share a WIFI connection with my N900 when the adhoc network is unsecured (no password). Whenever I try to enable WEP or WPA, the N900 will try to connect but authentication will fail. Anyone else experience this?

Last edited by kwurk; 2010-07-17 at 17:42.

Originally Posted by MRyant View Post
Instructions to browse web through latop (Windows XP) on N900:

1. Go into Control panel
2. Open “Network Connections”
3. Right click on "Wireless Connection" and click on "Properties"
4. Click on the "Wireless Networks" tab and select the check-box which says “Use Windows to configure my wireless network settings”
5. Under “Prefered networks” click “Add”
6. Type a name in “Network name” text box
7. Select “Shared” from the options under “Network Authentication”
8. Under Data encryption select “WEP” and type in your password in “Network Key” field and now click "OK"
9. Now the new HotSpot should show in the list of preferred networks.
10. Click on the “Advance” button and select “Computer-to-computer (ad hoc) networks only" and press close
11. Hit “OK”, we are done with the wireless connection properties

Open Network Connections again and share the connection which goes to the internet.

Now on Nokia N900 configure following:
  1. Enter the Settings Menu and Open "Internet Connections" under Connectivity.
  2. Tap "connections" button.
  3. Create a new Connection by tapping "new"
  4. Tap "Next"
  5. Give it a name "AdHocInternet" for example
  6. Tap "Next"
  7. Tap "no" if it asks if you want to scan for WLAN Networks
  8. Enter the SSID you entered for the AdHoc connection in Windows
  9. uncheck "Network is hidden"
  10. select adhoc from "network mode" dropdown box
  11. select wep security method and then tap next
  12. enter your wep key into "wep key1" tap next
  13. now you're in the "connection: setup complete" screen. tap advanced if you have a proxy and enter it accordingly.
  14. tap save on the "connection: setup complete" screen and voila

connect n900 to that adhoc network and you can access the internet via your laptop. if you set a proxy you'll have to enter your username and password.

any questions ask me via pm, will make some screenshots shortly too
Dear Friend.......
I followed step by step procedure as u mentioned........ I am able to connect to the connection on my mobile but none of the webpage is being opened...... what may be the problem...... speed is not any problem as i am using broadband on my laptop...... please please please help me..... for your info i am using win XP on my laptop with broadband connection (wifi enabled modem).... and nokia n900......

sorry for bumping this thread up again but ...ive checked all the other threads related to this problem ...NONE of them solve the problem.. the thread dies off before the problem is solved ..ne help?? im using VISTA BTW i know how to create the Adhoc connections on my PC ..but i have the same problem as chintantia ...i can connect to the PC just fine but i cant get my N900 browser to open websites ..are there some i.p addresses that i have to add to the PC and N900 ?? coz all my connection 'properties' both PC and n900 are set to "obtain ip address automatically" coz i saw somewhere that u have to enter certain i.p address, DNS, sub-mask etc...

p.s ..could some please give a detailed step-by-step way of getting around this problem ??

Last edited by littlefighter17; 2010-08-23 at 18:00.

bumping this thread up again ...im sure im not the only one who has this problem

Posts: 251 | Thanked: 90 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Earth, Milky-way Galaxy
i followed this steps mention above it worked but unable to connect im accounts and wesites aswell,,,,