Notices

Posts: 546 | Thanked: 85 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Winnipeg, Canada
Originally Posted by ffarber View Post
1) Size the widget to the number of feeds being read and only show that number of articles.
FWIW That would be my preference as well.
N800 | 2 x 8gb OCX SD | Boxwave Anti-glare SS | PDAir book-style case
Holux M-1200 bluetooth GPS | iGo 4-row bluetooth keyboard | Linksys USB 10/100 ethernet | Plantronics Voyager 855 BT Headset

The Following User Says Thank You to grog For This Useful Post:
Posts: 180 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Maine
Originally Posted by quingu View Post
It's unhealthy to get upset so easily. I actually read slocan's statement carefully. That's why I insisted on the point that there are cases where his decision of a big, unresizable widget is a step backwards.

No need of accusing other people of things you have trouble of complying with yourself.
I read everything and quoted where I was responding to someone else, just as I am doing here. You left no tracks that you had read what had already been discussed. I would not have flown off the handle had you done so. In any case, I apologize for my thin skin.

Cheers,
Fred

Posts: 324 | Thanked: 371 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Vancouver, BC
Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.

My initial idea was to make 2 widgets, one small, and one bigger, but then I figured whichever I'm not using would not be maintained as much and break at some point. I'll implement option 1, as detailed by ffarber, as that's easy to do, and maybe I'll add a size option (option to remove the arrow buttons, so making it slimmer). I'm not actually all that fond of the large widget either, but it's nice to see what's possible, what makes sense, and what doesn't.

For those who haven't seen the widget yet, there are a couple of screenshots here:
http://feedingit.marcoz.org/news/?p=54

@tnhh: i'll also fix the feed update time, which is now set everytime an update runs, even if there wasn't anything new.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Slocan For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by grog View Post
For me I'll still just pull out my reading glasses to read them in FeedingIt. It's a lot nicer to have them in the same place I read all my other news.
Of course I'm not sure what else this would affect, but would it be possible to have solitary images expanded to fit the entire window? That would make reading things like comics a whole lot easier. TX
Holux M-1200 bluetooth GPS | iGo 4-row bluetooth keyboard | Linksys USB 10/100 ethernet | Plantronics Voyager 855 BT Headset

Posts: 324 | Thanked: 371 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Vancouver, BC
Originally Posted by grog View Post
Of course I'm not sure what else this would affect, but would it be possible to have solitary images expanded to fit the entire window? That would make reading things like comics a whole lot easier. TX
I've been thinking of a zooming option for a while, and it will come at some point, not entirely sure exactly how to implement it though. Automatic resizing would be nice, but might be quite tricky.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slocan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 271 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on May 2006 @ Aperture Science, Inc.
Oooh. The new widget mode... it's so cute! Perfect, thanks Slocan!

The Following User Says Thank You to quingu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 180 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Maine
+1, Slocan you really nailed it. I have chosen to go small with two feeds.

Note to anyone playing with the new widget: Even though changing from small to large and back again has a note saying a restart is required there is no need to restart the whole device; just delete the widget from your desktop and re-add it and it will resize appropriately.

Nice job Slocan!

Fred

The Following User Says Thank You to ffarber For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ffarber View Post
+1, Slocan you really nailed it.
Nice job Slocan!
+10 from me. Works really slick!! TX

Does this app sync with Google Reader?

Thanks
Chris

My Blog

Posts: 271 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on May 2006 @ Aperture Science, Inc.
Just one more tiny little request:
Could you set the transparency of the (small) widget to fit the other widgets and shortcuts?

It would look great and give the widget a "rounder" feeling to it. Thanks alot for considering!