Active Topics

Well, why don't you put that SIM card into your N900? Then you give everyone your GV number. I use The One Ring (which is awesome) for texting. They text my GV number and I get it on my N900-prepaid-SIM, even if I'm at the grocery store.

Originally Posted by Mr. Ben View Post
I finally got selected to get Google Voice (sorry, no invites to pass along) but I had a devil of a time getting the calls to properly forward. Following the onscreen steps was easy, and my phone was registered with google voice. But actually getting the calls to go to Google voice proved to be more difficult. At first I figured it was just a matter of "bouncing" my voicemails using the call forwarding function in settings>phone, but its not that simple. Instead, one needs to send the call forwarding command (prefix *004* on T-mobile).

I've updated to PR 1.2, but i got an error message when I tried to send the command. After some vigourous googling (hehe) I found that I needed to add a little command to the call-ui.ini file in the /home/user/.osso folder.

Navigate to that file, open it in the text editor of your choice and simply add:

[supplementary]
ssc=1

(you did make a backup of the original file just in case, right?)
Just to be on the safe side, I rebooted the n900 and then tried sending the command again (*004*GVnumber#). The first time, I think my reception wasn't very good, but the command went through on the second try. I still cannot just hit "voicemail" to get to Google voice, but i have GV set as its own contact with a shortcut on my desktop.

Meme, are you calling your new Google number, or the Google Voice number (the one that functions as your new voicemail) If you call in to the voice mail, once you enter your pin you can hit 2 for calling out again. i believe the "google number" is essentially like a forwarding number that will ring any associated phones.
Is there a way to get the google voice activation to work without messing with the call-ui.ini file?

Posts: 304 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ irvine
Anybody need some invites , i have 50 ,

Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
Could someone help me out and tell me how I can both call and text to Australia?

The number is
4582154XX

I think I need to dial
011 51 4582154XX to get there but I'm not sure.

It's too confusing.

I don't have long distance phone service here at home since I have a Google Voice account. Having an $8.00 a month AT&T service is pretty nice.

Anyway, people on the web keep mentioning some 406 number texting trick but I don't have a clue as to what they are talking about.

Any help on this?

Thank you so much if someone responds.

I just got a Google Voice number myself and I'm trying to set it as my N900's voicemail number. I am using my N900 on ATT, and GoogleVoice suggests *004*MYNUMBERHERE# as the proper activation code, but when I hit call it tells me "Service Code not supported" . Any ideas on the problem?

In addition, is there any way to send SMS from the N900 using my GV number (without opening a browser and etc...)?

@Addison
I've been making calls to Costa Rica with GV.

Open Gizmo5 and login. Wait for the success sound.
Open web browser and go to https://google.com/voice
Click add credit and add $10 using your credit/debit card.

Australia is $0.02/min to call landline, $0.14/min to call cellphone, and $0.17/min to call satellite phone.

* Click green Call button,
** click the flag and scroll down to Australia (+61). input the local number 4582154XX
** click the phone to call with scrollbox and choose your Gizmo5 number (assuming you have already "paired" it)
* Click connect
Your Gizmo5 application will now ring, I have set mine to auto-answer but it doesn't by default, click the green Accept button that will appear on-screen.
It should now ring/call the person.

If you prefer to use DialCentral over the website just dial 011614582154XX

011 is the US call-out/international code
61 is the Australia international call-in code

If you are unsatisfied with the call quality (my N810's microphone echoes on the other end) and you don't mind using "anytime" minutes on a cellphone...Dial your Google Voice number (doesn't have to be a phone that you have paired), when you get to voicemail then dial * you will be prompted for your PIN number. dial 1234 (or whatever your PIN is, don't press #). Then press 2. Then 011614582154XX#. This will be a local call to a mobile phone (Google) and then Google will take money out of your prepaid account with them to connect you to the international number.

Minutes/amount spent per call shows up in GV history AFTER the call has ended.

Posts: 1,684 | Thanked: 1,562 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Austin, TX
Originally Posted by Ellipsys View Post
In addition, is there any way to send SMS from the N900 using my GV number (without opening a browser and etc...)?

As has been mentioned several times, Dialcentral or "Google Voice Plugin for ..." also known as The One Ring.

Originally Posted by epage View Post
As has been mentioned several times, Dialcentral or "Google Voice Plugin for ..." also known as The One Ring.
Thanks, I'll look into that. Any idea about the non-accepted service code to try and set GoogleVoice as my voicemail? That has to be squared away before I can do anything else.

It may be important to note that I am using my N900 on an ATT sim that thinks it is in an iPhone 3G

Posts: 1,684 | Thanked: 1,562 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Austin, TX
Originally Posted by Ellipsys View Post
Thanks, I'll look into that. Any idea about the non-accepted service code to try and set GoogleVoice as my voicemail? That has to be squared away before I can do anything else.

It may be important to note that I am using my N900 on an ATT sim that thinks it is in an iPhone 3G
I've never played with that, People have my GV number so I don't need to forward voicemail.

I don't understand how to send a text with the GV plugin. I want to send a text to a friend's cellphone number but don't have him saved as a contact in GV