Active Topics

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
Originally Posted by Rebski View Post
Dell only says that the Streak has 'high pixel density' but don't say what the figure actually is. Which again is a point that I was making.

Does anybody know what it is?
Jeez, you hear Jobs saying "high pixel density" is good, but you don't even know what it means. If you did you would know how to work it out yourself knowing the pixel count and screen size and simple maths.

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by Sopwith View Post
...or, touch the Camera icon... you likely don't want to take random pictures of the inside of your pocket...
That's what the lock key is for, IMHO. A 3-4 second delay everytime you want to start the camera vs. a few pictures when you forget to lock. I realize that it's easier to implement a touch only interface and many people are doing it these days but I don't think it's better from user standpoint. I like keys for basic camera functions - one to start the camera and shutter release, and two for zooming

Posts: 1,751 | Thanked: 844 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sweden
If it had a better resolution.. like 1050x620, resisitiv screen and a keyboard. A big *** battery and running a debian based OS.. like Maemo or Ubuntu.

..Maybe.

Posts: 337 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ NYC
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
That's what the lock key is for, IMHO. A 3-4 second delay everytime you want to start the camera vs. a few pictures when you forget to lock. I realize that it's easier to implement a touch only interface and many people are doing it these days but I don't think it's better from user standpoint. I like keys for basic camera functions - one to start the camera and shutter release, and two for zooming
Agreed. I also think 3-4 sec is too much, but I am trying hard to like this phone

On the other hand, an advantage of touch-controlled camera that I learned from one of N8 promotional videos is that it may allow for a steadier shot... still I am likelier to use the dedicated button.

So when is this thing coming out?

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by Sopwith View Post
Agreed. I also think 3-4 sec is too much, but I am trying hard to like this phone

On the other hand, an advantage of touch-controlled camera that I learned from one of N8 promotional videos is that it may allow for a steadier shot... still I am likelier to use the dedicated button.

So when is this thing coming out?
Not steadier for me. I think that's an excuse for using touch only interface - digital cameras have had shutter release keys for years... also, you have to look for the soft button whereas my finger can easily find the key without looking.

End of July is the current buzz. www.streaksmart.com will keep you updated

The Following User Says Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 874 | Thanked: 316 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ London UK
Originally Posted by kureyon View Post
Jeez, you hear Jobs saying "high pixel density" is good, but you don't even know what it means. If you did you would know how to work it out yourself knowing the pixel count and screen size and simple maths.
Thanks to Tso I now know who to calculate pixel density.
Thanks to you..... I don’t know .....what?

The Following User Says Thank You to Rebski For This Useful Post:
Posts: 857 | Thanked: 362 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ London
PPI has changed my whole obsession with wanting larger screened devices in my pocket.

We have had the Streak for a while in the UK and its just massive, I get this impression the more I look at it. Running an old version of Android.

But I can see its attraction as a tablet, I get the same benefit on my smaller tethered Archos 5 Android.

Last edited by imperiallight; 2010-07-15 at 23:48.

Posts: 874 | Thanked: 316 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ London UK
PPI has changed my whole obsession with wanting larger screened devices in my pocket.
From my experience, I can relate to that. Smaller and sharper beats larger and blurrier. The trouble for me now, after a few weeks with the Streak, is that I want both larger and sharper.

The superiority of text on the iPhone4 over the Streak is undoubted.
http://www.streaksmart.com/2010/06/d...-iphone-4.html
However text on the Streak is better than text on my iPhone 3GS.

The Streak screen is very good indeed and I don’t feel disadvantaged, nonetheless as soon as Dell releases Streak 2 with a Retina type display I shall get one.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rebski For This Useful Post:
Official streak pre-sale page is up. http://app.dellhome.usa.dell.com/enr...ile/signup.cfm

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Average Joe For This Useful Post:
to bad i haven't seen any more mention of a tmo 3g version.

Tags
competition, dell, fresh-air, i has it ;), just shoot me, no keyboard, no linux, notnokia, wotnokia?