Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 75 | Thanked: 35 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ United States
I've been looking to put some videos onto my phone... but since it doesn't support .mkv format, I was wondering if anyone knew any good quality mkv to avi converters, preferrably free?

Posts: 141 | Thanked: 51 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Netherlands
http://www.dvdvideosoft.com/

The FreeStudio does lots of things and one is video conversion. No idea if it converts mkv but try it out

Or try this
http://www.sharewareguide.net/articl...x,xvid%29.html

Last edited by pthomas22; 2010-07-22 at 09:03.

avidemux (avidemux.org) does the trick for me, and its free as in freedom, as well as money.

Posts: 247 | Thanked: 67 times | Joined on May 2010 @ limassol cyprus
i use mkv to vob.. its free too, but my n900 wont play hd or bluray rips for some reason.

Posts: 726 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Sweden
Or you can use mencoder which comes as part of the mplayer package.

This is my script, using ffmpeg and outputs to mp4 container rather than avi container (mp4 is a better option I think):

Code:
#!/bin/bash

outfile=$1
echo "output folder: $outfile"
mkdir -p $outfile
shift

while [ $# -ne 0 ]; do
echo "file = $1"
infile=$1
thefile="${infile%.*}"
mkvfile="$outfile/${thefile##*/}.mkv"
mp4file="$outfile/${thefile##*/}.mp4"
avifile="$outfile/${thefile##*/}.avi"
echo "mkv = $mkvfile"
echo "mp4 = $mp4file"
 #ffmpeg -i "$infile" -s 800x480 -vcodec libx264 -vpre default -vpre baseline -crf 22 -acodec libfaac -ab 128k -ac 2 -f matroska "$mkvfile"
 ffmpeg -i "$infile" -r pal -s 800x448 -vcodec mpeg4 -qmin 3 -qmax 5 -crf 22 -acodec libfaac -ab 128k -ac 2 -f mp4 "$mp4file"
# ffmpeg -i "$infile" -r pal -s 800x448 -vcodec mpeg4 -qmin 3 -qmax 5 -crf 22 -acodec libfaac -ab 128k -ac 2 -f avi "$avifile"

shift
done
To use it, save it as scriptname, and +x it

The format is

scriptname <outputfolder> <inputfile> [inputfile ...]

It will take each of the input files, convert them to mpeg4 + ac3 inside mp4 container and place them into "outputfolder". If you really want avi containers, then comment out the mp4 line and uncomment the following avi line.

If you are using Windows, then there are several converters available, but you may want to start with these settings, they are what I have had the most luck with in terms of performance on the n900.

I would totally welcome any input however...

The Following User Says Thank You to paulkoan For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jabawok View Post
avidemux (avidemux.org) does the trick for me, and its free as in freedom, as well as money.
could you please explain how to use this?

i'm looking at it and trying to figure out how to go from mkv to avi... but i really don't know how

Originally Posted by paulkoan View Post
This is my script, using ffmpeg and outputs to mp4 container rather than avi container (mp4 is a better option I think):

Code:
#!/bin/bash

outfile=$1
echo "output folder: $outfile"
mkdir -p $outfile
shift

while [ $# -ne 0 ]; do
echo "file = $1"
infile=$1
thefile="${infile%.*}"
mkvfile="$outfile/${thefile##*/}.mkv"
mp4file="$outfile/${thefile##*/}.mp4"
avifile="$outfile/${thefile##*/}.avi"
echo "mkv = $mkvfile"
echo "mp4 = $mp4file"
 #ffmpeg -i "$infile" -s 800x480 -vcodec libx264 -vpre default -vpre baseline -crf 22 -acodec libfaac -ab 128k -ac 2 -f matroska "$mkvfile"
 ffmpeg -i "$infile" -r pal -s 800x448 -vcodec mpeg4 -qmin 3 -qmax 5 -crf 22 -acodec libfaac -ab 128k -ac 2 -f mp4 "$mp4file"
# ffmpeg -i "$infile" -r pal -s 800x448 -vcodec mpeg4 -qmin 3 -qmax 5 -crf 22 -acodec libfaac -ab 128k -ac 2 -f avi "$avifile"

shift
done
To use it, save it as scriptname, and +x it

The format is

scriptname <outputfolder> <inputfile> [inputfile ...]

It will take each of the input files, convert them to mpeg4 + ac3 inside mp4 container and place them into "outputfolder". If you really want avi containers, then comment out the mp4 line and uncomment the following avi line.

If you are using Windows, then there are several converters available, but you may want to start with these settings, they are what I have had the most luck with in terms of performance on the n900.

I would totally welcome any input however...
as far as this script goes... you might have to explain more to me please. i have no experience whatsoever with linux, etc.

AVIDemux:

Open the mkv file, and select AVI as the format in the last dropdown.

Make sure you are familiar with the differences between codecs and containers. The first two drop downs let you choose the codecs you want to use for video and audio. Most mkv files you might have will probably use h264 (may show up as AVC1 in the fourcc in the File/Information display) for video and ac3 for audio. If you are happy for these to be used (they are supported on n900) then leave these settings at copy. Otherwise choose the codecs you would like to use.

Then File/Save.