Active Topics

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
My N900 removed the need of my Laptop and Desktop. So I gave my Laptop to my older brother. Still pretty happy with the N900 but at the same time Very unhappy with Nokia.

The Following User Says Thank You to maxximuscool For This Useful Post:
Well, I tend to be somewhat behind the curve, getting last-generation tech for quite a bit less than retail - I got my N900 for $315, shipped.
Now, that all being said, I haven't seen a single phone thats nicer than mine.
Mainly because no other(*) phone runs Maemo!
(*) there may be one other, but its not a Nokia one, and not nearly as nice)
Personally, I can't see myself getting a new phone for many years, and when my N900 fails I'll probably replace it with another N900. Why? Because it has the Maemo 5 OS.

Why do I like the Maemo 5 OS so much? Its Debian based. I run Ubuntu/Mint linux on all my PCs, and they too are Debian based. Makes things much easier.

Also, I see no lack of features in my N900 - It has a decent camera, keyboard, lots of flash space, FM transmitter and receiver, and 3G!
Sure, it doesn't have 4G... but 3G service is hard enough to find around here, and 4G even less so.
And, of course, it supports the holy grail of phone tech: The ability to be overclocked. I can get mine running at 1.15GHZ(though I usually keep it at 900 for most things, 1000 gets a little warm under constant load).
When you take that into account, even the newer phones with faster processors aren't so great in comparison.

Support wise, yes, perhaps Nokia isn't as good as they could be. But, I didn't buy support. I bought my N900 used, and don't expect any warranty. When something fails, I'm gonna break out the soldering iron and fix it if I can.

I also bought based on whats -currently- available OS wise, not what -might- be available in the future. So, I'm not upset no matter what Nokia does.

-Rob

The Following User Says Thank You to RobbieThe1st For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by atilla View Post
and that pointless posting will benefit you how???

and btw i dont need to benefit from that

I think if there was any, Atilla's benefit would be that the number of people knowing how to deal with minor N900 issues and to tweak the OS would increase, adding to this community forum's enthusiasts base.

It is a good advice to purchase a second (used) one.

Since some of N900 owners like me use it as a primary phone for work too this purpose keeps them from experimenting the hell out of it during always limited free time.

A second N900 that could be left bricked for a few days is luxury thing I am hunting for locally no 2nd hand market right now.

Posts: 12 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ helmond, Netherlands
I bought the n900 2 weeks ago and I don't regret it

I use linux on my laptop so I'm already used to linux. although it has less applications in the store I still feel it has more possibilities compared to android or iphone-os. maybe because I like the linuxy apps more than the 'put-in-shopping-list-and-get-cheapest-supermarkets' kind of apps

I have an ipod touch with iOS 4, but I really wouldn't want to use it for a phone

I haven't tested 3g/gprs internet and calling though. my contract isn't activated until next week

Posts: 56 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Spokane, WA
I loved mine right up until it was lost/destroyed because it was left on the bumper of my truck and never was found.

Should have it's replacement here today or tomorrow (another N900).

I looked at everything else and nothing can easily do what the N900 does. Sleeker would be a nice thing, but as others have stated, features are more important.

Had mine for a couple months now and I'm still happy with it.

My decision to purchase was based on the Adobe flash 10.1 demo video(which may not come) and experiencing ovi maps on my E71(which is not the same version). I will be using this phone for at least another year, so here's hoping these two items make it to the n900 in the near future.

Posts: 199 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Canada
Still extremely happy with mine... best mobile device I have ever owned. I actually sold my previous N900 to a friend of mine and I bought myself a spanking new N900 about a month ago.

There is and always will be a better/slicker/faster device around the corner. I'm not going to fall into this trap. Besides I can't understand people saying the N900 is slow.

Long live the N900!

I have been getting a little fidgety.
The iPhone 4 arrived in the house and I had a look. To be honest, Facetime is superb implementation (our video calling sucks, let's be honest) but there is little else there that impresses. Apple is truly having a Vista moment. Also, even though the bars didn't drop when trying the GoD, caller at other end said voice vanished (just like in the CNET experiment video).
Galaxy S looks like a nice device. The OS is impressive and I think Samsung could build on this to make it into something serious. The price is very high though and, despite the massive marketing push in the UK, it doesn't seem to be in the public consciousness yet.
The Motorola XT720 caught my eye as a UK kind of Droid X. It isn't as it turns out. It is a feature phone. The camera is what might sell it but the processor in there is capped and feels like it too.
The Xperia X10 is appearing everywhere. It is a huge leap forward from the first Xperia. It feels nice and fast. The menus feel a little bit old-school and the keyboard is awkward.
The mini versions are good value for money for those who want to see what Android feels like but spend a few bucks more and stand a better chance of a Froyo roll-out in the fullness of time.
For me, I am sticking with the N900 right now. I have my own "must-haves" as does everyone. Not one device has all of my must haves yet. The N900 does (with the costly addition of Sygic MM - but the MM10 free update should sweeten that deal).
I am looking around and hope Nokia will get on form soon but, in the meantime, N900 survives.

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by lbp775 View Post
Had mine for a couple months now and I'm still happy with it.

My decision to purchase was based on the Adobe flash 10.1 demo video(which may not come) and experiencing ovi maps on my E71(which is not the same version). I will be using this phone for at least another year, so here's hoping these two items make it to the n900 in the near future.
I wouldn't wait if I was you. So if you can't live without those 2 things, switch to another device.
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search