Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
What do you gain if you lose one tiny speaker anyhow?
To me, the idea of eliminating one of the speakers is tied to the idea of shrinking the device. I don't really believe that cutting the bulk is as easy as that though. The magical daemons in electronic devices have personal space issues that can be tricky to overcome.

Why don't you want a freebie if it doesn't cost you anything anyway, and it benefits a portion of the users.
I doubt it really does though. I don't think the speakers are far enough apart to achieve any really stereo separation.

Will having none, mono, or stereo speaker will greatly affect the NIT value? Will it gain significantly more marketshare in any one of those configuration than the rest?
My guess? Stereo most benefits marketshare.

Whether 1080 is really better than 720 or stereo is really better than mono doesn't seem to make a difference. People want the bigger number.

Besides, were Nokia to drop one or both speakers for the next Internet tablet, every review would point out the scandalous step backwards. It would scare folks off.

Or is this just a personal preference based on a single person's observation based on his own experience with limited needs?
"I should not talk so much about myself if there were anybody else whom I knew as well. Unfortunately, I am confined to this theme by the narrowness of my experience."
- Henry David Thoreau

Let's move the discussion to something more meaningful :]
Keen. Based upon your own experience with limited needs, what discussion would be more fruitful?

Originally Posted by slider View Post
here, here!
Hear, hear :-)

Two speakers for me, please. Doesn't matter if they are this close, the sound difference (from Mono) is quite distinct.

a range of voice commands might be a new direction supported by the next IT (and MIDs in general). evidence of this idea exists on other current devices (e.g. Treo). the brilliant, and often overlooked low-tech, stand of the N800 provides the device opportunities to not be hand-held all the time. with voice commands and the stand, the IT could really "stand alone" of its competitors!

desperately...trying...to...move...the...conversat ion...away...from...speakers...

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
My final comment on speakers: (heh.)

- Two speakers most likely will be louder (and more power drain) than one.
- As for the stereo effect, I don't know about N800. But the Nintendo DS lite has closer speakers and it truly delivers a 3d-like sound from their tinny speakers.

my thoughts...
speakers.. 1 is fine if its loud like they are now..

the ui has to get nicer... more hp would be good... the ability to do almost ant task a low power laptop can do, nokia has the feedback they need to make a killer device.. the iphone shows that the technology is out there.. now make a iphone/ipod killer.

things that need to stay..
high res screen.. stand on the back...loud speaker volume... compact size.. flash support <make it better>... the support for removable media.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
The stereo speakers are only about 4.5 inches apart. That means the ideal listening position is what, 3.9 inches from the screen? I'm thinking the speakers are effectively mono already.
Perhaps. But look at other, more traditional music players and you'll see the N800 is not alone in that narrow speaker separation. Heck, I checked out my wife's portable CD player and the speakers are not much farther apart at their closest edge (although significantly larger).

I believe the error with the N800 speakers was in having them both face forward (in parallel). I think moving them around to the corners and having them each face, say, 135 degrees out from the face (hence 90 degrees apart)would help a *bit* with stereo separation. There are also, as we all know, tricks that can be done in the device to improve the perception of whatever separation there is.

Sorry for keeping it going.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
I don't generally use the speakers much except when I'm making SIP calls. I think the only problem with them is that there's almost no bass, it seems. I don't really see the point of removing them.

Software complaints:
The interface needs to be more thumb-friendly. Too much is still obviously designed for the stylus and needs an update.

Shamelessly steal the proximity-based spell-correction from the iPhone for the thumbboard. Then shrink the thumbboard 'keys' a little and give us a slightly 'taller' and full-width view of entered text.

The thumb-friendly menu system needs to go. slide-out menus quickly fold back on themselves and don't scroll well. Just lift the scrolling, button-menu style interface of that-other-Phone. When you press thumb-ly on a menu button, it should just pop-up a similar scrolling button-menu on the left third of the screen. It just works.

The UI needs to be faster. In particular, task switching, zooming, scrolling and bringing up and closing the thumbboard. A bump in hardware will undoubtedly help, but also an option would be having apps render to a virtual display and allow the OS/hardware to handle zooming and a few physical-screen's-worth of scrolling. The UI needs to be far more responsive.

Hardware wishlist:
USB charging.

Orientation-sensor like that-other-phone. Reading is better done in portrait.

Sensor that detects whether the stylus is slotted. If the stylus is parked, for the love of all that's good default the entire interface to thumb-friendly operation.

Better Camera. At least 2MP stills, but preferably 4+.

802.11n, WiMax, 3G radios. Wireless data makes this thing sparkle. More, better wireless == larger sparkles.

Some built-in flash storage wouldn't hurt. I'd be down with an internal HDD married to the hypothetical good-camera-option.

Better D-Pad. Current dpad doesn't have a great feel.

Button Makeover. Keep the 'Home' button on the left, under the D-Pad. Move the 'option' and 'back' buttons to the right. Give them a couple of friends. Arrange them in a game-pad-style configuration. make them all app-programmable. In the browser, maybe they're back/forward/refresh/option; in an editor, cut/paste/home/end, in an emulator, a/b/x/y.
Then roll out the newly rejuvenated n-gage network/platform for the n800's successors.

EDIT: GPS would be great too.

Last edited by Roc Ingersol; 2007-09-18 at 20:09.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by Roc Ingersol View Post
Software complaints:
The interface needs to be more thumb-friendly. Too much is still obviously designed for the stylus and needs an update.

Shamelessly steal the proximity-based spell-correction from the iPhone for the thumbboard. Then shrink the thumbboard 'keys' a little and give us a slightly 'taller' and full-width view of entered text.

The thumb-friendly menu system needs to go. slide-out menus quickly fold back on themselves and don't scroll well. Just lift the scrolling, button-menu style interface of that-other-Phone. When you press thumb-ly on a menu button, it should just pop-up a similar scrolling button-menu on the left third of the screen. It just works.

The UI needs to be faster. In particular, task switching, zooming, scrolling and bringing up and closing the thumbboard. A bump in hardware will undoubtedly help, but also an option would be having apps render to a virtual display and allow the OS/hardware to handle zooming and a few physical-screen's-worth of scrolling. The UI needs to be far more responsive.

Hardware wishlist:
USB charging.

Orientation-sensor like that-other-phone. Reading is better done in portrait.

Sensor that detects whether the stylus is slotted. If the stylus is parked, for the love of all that's good default the entire interface to thumb-friendly operation.

Better Camera. At least 2MP stills, but preferably 4+.

802.11n, WiMax, 3G radios. Wireless data makes this thing sparkle. More, better wireless == larger sparkles.

Some built-in flash storage wouldn't hurt. I'd be down with an internal HDD married to the hypothetical good-camera-option.

Better D-Pad. Current dpad doesn't have a great feel.

Button Makeover. Keep the 'Home' button on the left, under the D-Pad. Move the 'option' and 'back' buttons to the right. Give them a couple of friends. Arrange them in a game-pad-style configuration. make them all app-programmable. In the browser, maybe they're back/forward/refresh/option; in an editor, cut/paste/home/end, in an emulator, a/b/x/y.
Then roll out the newly rejuvenated n-gage network/platform for the n800's successors.

EDIT: GPS would be great too.
I suppose you don't mind the idea of a $1200 N800?