Poll: Ovi Store on N900 - what do you think of it?
Poll Options
Ovi Store on N900 - what do you think of it?

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
I've tweeted this thread again to Peter (marketing) and Ovi Store - both have ignored previous tweets so I'm not expecting any reply, they only seem to "tweet" when they have something "positive" to spin and go into hiding when challenged by negative feedback rather than acknowledge it and try to address or otherwise overcome it.

It seems the Nokia embracing of "social networks" extends only as far as one-way "look how good we are" posts when it's patently obvious the company won't be around for much longer unless things change dramatically, and this poll is a fairly stark example of how badly they are performing yet the Ovi Store tweeters and Nokia marketeers seem to be blissfully unaware of how poorly their efforts are being received.

Considering the dire straits Nokia are in they would be well advised to discuss more and ignore and bullsh1t a whole lot less.

The Following User Says Thank You to Milhouse For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
No good can come out of publicly discussing and raising further awareness of an issue that they're already aware of and have no immediate plans of addressing.

It's just the way public communication works.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
No good can come out of publicly discussing and raising further awareness of an issue that they're already aware of and have no immediate plans of addressing.

It's just the way public communication works.
True, but this is assuming they are aware of the problems and have no immediate plans to fix them in which case they're only going to drive more customers away from the Nokia platform rather than stand any chance of retaining existing customers by entering into some form of dialogue and offering reassurances that the situation will improve.

If it were true that Nokia have no plans to address the flaws in Ovi Store then, to be quite honest, the sooner they go out of business the better for everyone concerned (and I say this as someone who has supported Maemo since before the 770 went on sale).

The future is about apps and unless Nokia get it right they're finished.

Posts: 559 | Thanked: 1,017 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Finland
I do buy things from Ovi. However, I do not like the experience because there are a lot of small annoying things. For example, I just purchased both new Angry Birds level packs. After buying the first I got notification that "You did not request a receipt" (translated from Finnish). Well, that was because I did not get to choose, I would have wanted one. So when purchasing the second level pack I payed extra attention to not to miss the possibility to request a receipt. I just could not find a place where the choice is made. And as it seems, it is not in my personal settings either.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OVK For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
True, but this is assuming they are aware of the problems and have no immediate plans to fix them in which case they're only going to drive more customers away from the Nokia platform rather than stand any chance of retaining existing customers by entering into some form of dialogue and offering reassurances that the situation will improve.

If it were true that Nokia have no plans to address the flaws in Ovi Store then, to be quite honest, the sooner they go out of business the better for everyone concerned (and I say this as someone who has supported Maemo since before the 770 went on sale).

The future is about apps and unless Nokia get it right they're finished.
I feel bad for the (good) employees of Nokia if they went out of business. Especially in this economy. But hopefully they would go onto work on the Meego project.

@OVK, yeah I was confused about that myself yesterday.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 658 | Thanked: 777 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Norway
Its allright, but its filled with useless stuff in my eyes.

Commercials/trailers litter the media section, useless trial apps all over the place, few apps Id even consider if they were free, etc.

Did buy Angry Birds level pack, and Zen Bound though.

For a N900 user the community apps just... well... its ****ing awesome.

Id probably use Ovi more if it was actually integrated with app manager.

For my N97 I never bought a single thing.

Posts: 266 | Thanked: 89 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Norway
I hated when Ericsson bacame Sony Ericsson, if what I smell from all this turmoil is a "Intel Nokia", I lost my faith in Nokia. The last 10 years I "word of mouth" explained to people and friends why they should get a Nokia, I just cant say that anymore. Sorry Nokia, you made me pay $500 to be a beta tester.

"Sex is not the answer. Sex is the question. Yes is the answer..."

I've now installed about a dozen apps from the Android* market place, all without delays of any kind. I just received two updates this morning, and the update process is lightning fast with zero delays, just how it should be. And how it's absolutely not on the N900 - updating a single application on my N900 takes up to 5 minutes or longer, depending on how much of a pain in the @rse App Manager wants to be.

This cr@p really needs sorting out as a top priority for Maemo6/Whatever if it's going to be targeted at mainstream consumers but I doubt it will be and will be just one more reason why Nokia and Ovi continue to fail in the "App Store" space.

* I know Android and Maemo use very different architectures where applications are concerned, but that's irrelevant - the point is that installing or updating apps on Maemo when the repositories contain only a few hundred applications causes the Application Manager to grind to a halt. Such a system will become unworkable with a few thousand applications on such low powered devices, so the system needs to be re-thought and re-written. Maybe RPMs are more efficient than DEBs, if not Nokia are screwed big time.

Posts: 48 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ United Kingdon
I only use the repos. Nice catogorisation in them and nice real time keyword searching.

Ovi is utter crap. Nokia = best hardware worst software!

Im glad meego has intel on board so thing may change for the next generation of devices.

Last edited by telnet; 2010-07-24 at 13:28. Reason: typo

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
They need to buy a bunch of different Android phones, iPhones and Blackberries and learn something from the competition.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Tags
iphone, ovi sucks