Posts: 223 | Thanked: 52 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ West Kirby, UK
This company has replacement touch screens, front covers etc.

http://www.gerry-mobilfunk.de

Posts: 293 | Thanked: 76 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Fremantle, W. Australia
59.00 € Touchscreen - I hope that includes the LCD!
Just a back cover is €28. Its worse than car parts.

There is some advantage to following the flock and buying a iPhone. parts are cheap and readily available. At least the N900 doesn't have a glass screen. Is the LCD on glass?

Posts: 90 | Thanked: 48 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Montpellier, France
Just for information, and except if your N900 is a stolen one or bought via ebay, there is a video cable included in the box

Posts: 16 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Edmonton, AB, Canada
Originally Posted by ohwut View Post
Thats interesting, I think they're definitely onto you though. I sent mine in, they received it the 28th and shipped a replacement device the 28th, it's already here in Portland and I can expect it here at my home by Monday the 1st at 3:00 p.m.
Are you saying you got it replaced under warranty? What exactly you said when you send your phone back?

Posts: 48 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Atlanta, ga
I accidentally just stepped on my phone while it was in my pocket and I can't see anything on my screen.

but i can still touch to get to things like answer my phone. Thats weird.

so i think this lets me know the digitizer isnt attached to the lcd screen and hopefully i can just buy an LCD screen and replace it myself. I wish this was under warranty considering the amount i paid for the phone.

I only had it for 4 months

-------
lcd screen:

http://cnn.cn/shop/nokia-n900-screen-p-8736.html

repair guide:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVEHm325-z8

The LCD and digitzer are 2 separate parts. If you buy a replacement digitizer, make sure you get one with the earpiece on it already.

Only replacing the LCD is very easy. Doing the digitizer is harder since you have to separate the framing. If you can spare the extra $30, just get a new framing (both). Otherwise you will have to reuse it and you will be able to tell they were once separated.

And those drop tests mean nothing. There is 1000's of ways the n900 can land, plus different heights, angles, surfaces, etc. Even something as controlled as driving a car straight into a wall at the same speed won't cause the same damage each time.

Posts: 436 | Thanked: 298 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ England
i was running on the treadmill today at 10mph .... i caught the headphone wire with my hand and my n900 fell about 1 metre to the treadmill then flew off the end at 10mph ..... no damage at all!!!!

As heavy as the n900 is, it's pretty durable.

I have dropped mine plenty of times. One of the nasty ones the stylus tensioner broke. But no visible marks. I never did drop it drom 6 feet onto concrete though, most were waist level or less.

Posts: 293 | Thanked: 76 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Fremantle, W. Australia
I think the broken-screens need to get together with the broken USB ports to make one new phone. Spare parts are prohibitively expensive when new N900s are as little as us$400 and dropping.

Posts: 68 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Chicago
I've dropped mine twice and it's been okay. *knock on wood* But I have noticed that if I tap my finger near the top of the bezel (by the NOKIA logo) it makes a clicking noise. So something's separated. :/