Hello

I've been suffering from a bad email client (Modest) since I've bought my N900. Since it seems that there won't be any improvements for POP3 expensive data plan users like me, I decided to take a look at Modest's code.

I've found that it does check for a value called MODEST_CONF_MSG_SIZE_LIMIT when looking for which messages to download. So the question is: How do I specify the message limit?

Does anyone know where are modest settings stored and how to change them?

Thanks

The Following User Says Thank You to soeiro For This Useful Post:
Bump.

Does anybody know where and how the email configuration is stored in the fiesystem?

No luck so far. I've searched in the usual folders: ~/.config and others and still no luck.

I don't have experience with either Gnome or GTK+, so I'm guessing Modest is using some sort of configuration framework. Does anybody know anything about it?

where did you find the source code for modest??

Posts: 244 | Thanked: 354 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Scotland
Originally Posted by droll View Post
where did you find the source code for modest??
Have a dig around here:

http://modest.garage.maemo.org/

The Following User Says Thank You to gregoranderson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 74 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Germany
look into /var/lib/gconf/apps/modest/%gconf.xml

there's an entry named msg_size_limit

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aydan For This Useful Post:

The Following User Says Thank You to soeiro For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Aydan View Post
look into /var/lib/gconf/apps/modest/%gconf.xml

there's an entry named msg_size_limit
Thanks. I've changed it now. I'm assuming the value is specified in bytes. Let's see if it works.

Bump again.

I messed up some settings in Modest, and I tried to change something in the file Aydan mentioned, but to no avail. Then I renamed the directory /var/lib/gconf/apps/modest to /var/lib/gconf/apps/email.old or something like that so Modest would get confused and start asking me things when I started it up. That was my idea, at least. To my surprise, it started with no problems and with all the settings it had before! No new directories were made in /var/lib/gconf. So my question is now: where can I find the real configuration files for Modest? Or how can I bring Modest back to its let's say, factory configuration?

Is there any possibility to have different update times for WIFI and 3G networks?

While at home, I would like it to update frequently (like 15 or at most 30 min). But using that values over a 3g network will drain my battery fast.

Tryed to edit tthe config file by hand, but it seems that theres no way to do it..