Notices

Posts: 44 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Freiburg, Germany
Hello,

I would like to present MovieSchedule, a browser for movies and cinemas based on Googles movie schedules.

Name:  MovieSchedule.jpg
Views: 1483
Size:  33.6 KB

(This screenshot uses the german localization. Of course the application uses English at its main language.)

MovieSchedule supports GPS, up to 5 favourite cities, adding a movie to calendar, googling for movies and cinemas and calling cinema by phone. I hope it is of some use for you.

The application can be installed from extras-devel repository only. It has no dependencies to anything that is not already installed in PR 1.2 but all warnings for every software in extras-devel applies.

Kindly regards, Jochen "gilead" Becher

Last edited by gilead; 2010-07-28 at 16:50. Reason: Add hint to german localization

The Following 39 Users Say Thank You to gilead For This Useful Post:
Posts: 844 | Thanked: 521 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ UK southampton
Sweet just what i've been missing. Will give it a wirl when I eventually get my
N900 back from Nokia. Thanks

Posts: 889 | Thanked: 537 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ scotland
had already just installed this before seeing the release, looks quite good and is fast, however search seems very buggy. if i search for carlisle it seems to return hits for several us towns rather than carlisle, uk. fair enough, i search for carlisle, uk and it returns correct results for today but reverts to us listing from tomorrow on. and perhaps a search within 'n' miles of city would be useful also?

however still very good first impressions!

its a sad day when i can't slip at least one hitchhiker reference in somewhere.

The Following User Says Thank You to festivalnut For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by festivalnut View Post
had already just installed this before seeing the release, looks quite good and is fast, however search seems very buggy. if i search for carlisle it seems to return hits for several us towns rather than carlisle, uk. fair enough, i search for carlisle, uk and it returns correct results for today but reverts to us listing from tomorrow on. and perhaps a search within 'n' miles of city would be useful also?

however still very good first impressions!
Of course "carlisle" may be the name of several cities in the world. Searching for movies is totally based on Googles movie service. I have no control (or at least I do not know yet) about the exact city that is used when you just enter a city name.

In future I hope I find a way to a) present a list of possible cities that match the searched city name and b) make Google to return a list for that exact selected city. Some more research needed I assume...

I will see why it fails for the other days if you enter "Carlisle, UK".

This "n" mile thing is not easy AFAIK. I don't know about any possibility to tell Google about a maximum distance. I have not added routing or anything like this (so the software is already prepared for it but it seems there is no standard API for this yet). If I could calculate the distance between a cinema (from its address) and your current location I could implement that max. distance feature myself.

Regards, gilead

The Following User Says Thank You to gilead For This Useful Post:
Posts: 889 | Thanked: 537 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ scotland
ahhh thanks! didn't mean to criticize as such, merely suggest improvements, i am extremely impressed with the speed of results returned, and since you've let me know some of the problems are down to google (i find google search in english almost always favours us cities, and since almost every scottish city has a us counterpart named after it i see it often!) i shall try to tweak my searches accordingl!

thanks again!

its a sad day when i can't slip at least one hitchhiker reference in somewhere.

Hi festivalnut,

what happens if you try "Search Near"? The GPS coordinates are translated into a city name using Googles reverse geo mapping. I hope the returned city names are consistent with the city names the movie service expects (this works for Freiburg, my home town. But I didn't travel since I implemented that feature a few days ago so I didn't have much chance to try other locations).

Posts: 388 | Thanked: 842 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Finland
seems to be working well here, thanks

The Following User Says Thank You to hqh For This Useful Post:
Hi festivalnut,

I had a quick look on how your "Carlisle, UK" location behaves: The first page of schedules (for "Today") contains links to "Tomorrow" and the following week days. Those links contain "Carlisle" as location. So you are back in USA (Carlisle, PA).

I will note a TODO that I should try to interpret those links and replace the location given by Goggle with the location selected by the user. Hope that helps.

Regards, gilead

i can't wait for it to go into the extras !

The Following User Says Thank You to Edsal For This Useful Post:
I was playing with this yesterday and it seems fantastic - I really like the extra touches like being able to directly call the cinema and add events to the calender. Thanks for a great app!

Here's a couple of suggestions I've got:
- Is it possible to add events to the main n900 calender rather then the private calender? I've got my main calender all synced up so it'd be great if movieschedule could play nicely with this.
- I can't work out how to see movies for a day other than today... is there a way of seeing what's on later in the week?

Apart from those two little things I'm loving it

The Following User Says Thank You to zombiepig For This Useful Post: