Posts: 259 | Thanked: 55 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Vilnius, Lithuania
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
Well then, do it yourself! The problem is you need a computer. People usually buy them or have friends with them, but if they have to pay people who have them, they do that.
You misunderstud me. You said pay to fix, that means I will do nothing. Now you are talking about paying for tools, not people. Yes i could pay for 1h of PC use, but not for full repair in PC shop. OK no more offtopic.

Posts: 60 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Europe
Ehehe

Ok, i put up the files and a very short howto on http://92.243.18.151/. Don't have domain yet.

Don't expect everything to work. It's unpolished, but ubuntu, freebsd, memtest and clonezilla should boot. I will extend the howto further and add a description about how to add other isos in the future.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gobuki For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gobuki View Post
Ehehe

Ok, i put up the files and a very short howto on http://92.243.18.151/. Don't have domain yet.

Don't expect everything to work. It's unpolished, but ubuntu, freebsd, memtest and clonezilla should boot. I will extend the howto further and add a description about how to add other isos in the future.
Thanks! You can get .info domain at godaddy.com for 1dollar with tax.

Originally Posted by aligatro View Post
hmm. I have an idea. Someone could create a bootable usb and create an exact copy of it. Then you just have to restore it using your phone. I can do this, but my upload speed is UBER slow.

Hehe.. looks like you didn't like my method.

Originally Posted by aligatro View Post
Hehe.. looks like you didn't like my method.
I just think it will not work. look there is no ubuntu.zip files for thumdrives. to boot from flash memory you have to make active partitions and so on... this is not about the files.

Originally Posted by esthreel View Post
I just think it will not work. look there is no ubuntu.zip files for thumdrives. to boot from flash memory you have to make active partitions and so on... this is not about the files.
there is a tool in ubuntu(can be installed) to create live usb disks.
Someone can create a full copy of that usb disk and then you just restore backup(full carbon copy of disk) of usb flash drive and voila.

Originally Posted by esthreel View Post
Thanks! You can get .info domain at godaddy.com for 1dollar with tax.
Actually i already have a nice one, but at a different hoster.
Anyway. I set up a redirect at http://gobuki.org/pxe-n900 now.

Actually i already have a nice one, but at a different hoster.
Anyway. I set up a redirect at http://gobuki.org/pxe-n900 now.
Hmm.. about you method, is dnsmasq available for n900 ? and won't this conflict with a DHCP server on the router?

Yes, you're right. The faster dhcp server will win, i guess. You can add a MAC filter though, so you do no damage. I will look into it.

And dnsmasq is not available for n900 either. I did an apt-cache show dnsmasq and it's there, but i forgot, that i installed it from a debian package.

There should be no risk in installing it. But i will add instructions to the howto on how to use it without installing it for the paranoid.

Last edited by gobuki; 2010-07-31 at 17:15.

Yes, you're right. The faster dhcp server will win, i guess. You can add a MAC filter though, so you do no damage. I will look into it.

And dnsmasq is not available for n900 either. I did an apt-cache show dnsmasq and it's there, but i forgot, that i installed it from a debian package.

There should be no risk in installing it. But i will add instructions to the howto on how to use it without installing it for the paranoid.
Well DHCP can be disabled on most routers(stock firmware).
Then he needs to set static ip for n900. Btw, that package is for arm cpus.(dnsmasq-base_2.45-1+lenny1_arm.deb)N900 is armel.
[added] http://packages.debian.org/search?su...ywords=dnsmasq

Last edited by aligatro; 2010-07-31 at 17:27.