No doubt the hundreds of issues many users, including myself, are having with the phone resetting, not being able to charge up, or giving out constant "not charging" messages, could well be heavily related...

I know if I move the miniUSB cable (gently-near the phones end) whilst connected to the mains, the orange charge light will flicker quickly (even when the screen is on)- surely indicating a weak usb connection (or lead), but from the outside at least there doesnt seem to be any damage, and I havent been using the phone for that long either (or dropped it accidentally)....

could a damaged miniUSB connection that is only visible from the inside be causing the phone to also reset and not be able to gauge exactly how charged up it is? its sounding more likely, with the more complaints I read of on here.. but one that may be difficult to solve unless your a bit of a techie/electrician !!

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by extent View Post
No doubt the hundreds of issues many users, including myself, are having with the phone resetting, not being able to charge up, or giving out constant "not charging" messages, could well be heavily related...

I know if I move the miniUSB cable (gently-near the phones end) whilst connected to the mains, the orange charge light will flicker quickly (even when the screen is on)- surely indicating a weak usb connection (or lead), but from the outside at least there doesnt seem to be any damage, and I havent been using the phone for that long either (or dropped it accidentally)....

could a damaged miniUSB connection that is only visible from the inside be causing the phone to also reset and not be able to gauge exactly how charged up it is? its sounding more likely, with the more complaints I read of on here.. but one that may be difficult to solve unless your a bit of a techie/electrician !!
The answer to your questions are yes so you assume right.
Even if you get a dry joint anywhere on the usb port connector it will give random weird results also a non or open cirkit charge will make your device turn off and attempt to restart when the battery drops in voltage as the proc goes dumb through lack of supply voltage.

I reccomend to anyone who does not for any reason want to send the device back for repair to open it up and solder down all the connections on the usb port making sure you scrape away the paint on the pcb around the 4 earthed posts to get a lot more solder on the 4 posts holding the usb port to the board.

Do this BEFORE it goes wrong and you will not have problems like the rest of the world are having with there's.

If you open up the phone and attempt a repair, or look at it and think *Actually I'll leave it alone* when you send it back to Nokia, does opening the phone automatically invalidate the warranty and therefore they wont repair or replace it?
If they do decide to send you a brand new phone, what would be the best way of obtaining a final backup before its sent off? This very problem happened to me on sunday, and I've been in touch with a local Nokia Authorised repair centre, who said to bring the phone in for a quote on the repair, but I dont like the idea of loosing personal text messages and telephone numbers if they decide to replace it. Can anyone recommend any advice? Thanks

Can anyone help with the warranty question?

Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
I reccomend to anyone who does not for any reason want to send the device back for repair to open it up and solder down all the connections on the usb port making sure you scrape away the paint on the pcb around the 4 earthed posts to get a lot more solder on the 4 posts holding the usb port to the board.

Do this BEFORE it goes wrong and you will not have problems like the rest of the world are having with there's.
How can you recommend doing something that will invalidate your warranty BEFORE you even have any problems with it? Seems pretty @ss backwards to me...

@james174 - wouldn't a standard backup through pc suite save your contacts and messages?

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.

Posts: 247 | Thanked: 106 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Coventry, UK
if your usb still feels quite solid but are still getting not charging messages, get a sharp scalpel, needle, magnifying glass and good light source.

GENTLY try removing all the fluff and stuff from the connector, i got loads out of mine, it had all got compacted in from being in pockets, and then pushing in with the usb plug.

i found a bit was sticking up over one of the connectors, gently flicking it out, and giving it a quick blow fixed that for me.

maybe your problem?

http://pininthemap.com/maemo
masterpin: shotgun

Originally Posted by james174 View Post
If you open up the phone and attempt a repair, or look at it and think *Actually I'll leave it alone* when you send it back to Nokia, does opening the phone automatically invalidate the warranty and therefore they wont repair or replace it?
If they do decide to send you a brand new phone, what would be the best way of obtaining a final backup before its sent off? This very problem happened to me on sunday, and I've been in touch with a local Nokia Authorised repair centre, who said to bring the phone in for a quote on the repair, but I dont like the idea of loosing personal text messages and telephone numbers if they decide to replace it. Can anyone recommend any advice? Thanks

full backup to a SD card should work for that!

Posts: 500 | Thanked: 437 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Oklahoma
Originally Posted by james174 View Post
Can anyone help with the warranty question?
If you are in the US the link is here (oops! almost pasted a MafiaWars profile in there!)

james174
Today , 09:13 PM
Posts: 123 | Thanked: 70 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ UK <--

gives a clue lol.

EDIT:
UK HERE

Last edited by mr_bridger; 2010-08-03 at 21:24.

Sorry to hear that. Welcome to the club. Mine stopped charging over a month ago.