Active Topics

Well, I see broken Input Method in N900. You can't switch layout in desktop. Or in Contacts. This is bug introduced in Pr1.2 and registered in bugzilla. No Nokia respond on this.
Main use case is broken, and this clearly shows the following: Nokia don't use QA for N900 software.
I am the software developer, I know how test plans are made and how test cases are passed.
Ability to switch layout -- MAIN use case. Conculsion -- Nokia don't care about N900 users.
I bet there are only 2-3 contract developers and not QA working on PR1.3 now.

The Following User Says Thank You to kenga For This Useful Post:
Im just sick n tired of ppl coming onto forums and crib.. crib all the time..

If everyone is so smart and understanding, then go do sth useful abt it instead of cribbing
pardon my language

Is there way to fix closed source? Show me.

The Following User Says Thank You to kenga For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by PathFinder@9GS View Post
Im just sick n tired of ppl coming onto forums and crib.. crib all the time..

If everyone is so smart and understanding, then go do sth useful abt it instead of cribbing
pardon my language
Whoa.. what language IS that? I'm having a a difficult time understanding you.

Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
e: p.s. nokia said before N900 was launched implicitly that they "don't care about N900 users":

http://forums.internettablettalk.com...ad.php?t=31426

It is not my fault that someone has unrealistic expectations from N900. Just look at this community and what is has archieved. then just please shut up. Here are 2 kinds of people: those trollin' (because they didn't know what they were buying with N900) and those developin'. trollers rule tmo, developers do amazing things. Is it really worth being in trollin' -side? just think about it a second or two..
And this is why I'm sitting on my N800, waiting impatiently for the next worthwhile thing. :P ...and it's not the N900.

Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
For me, it's like this:

I'm happy with my n900 - it is exactly the device I was looking for. It's a computer first then phone.

Maemo is "proper" linux - android is linux "kernel" & clone of java vm. Google does not think technology is cool unless it modifes stuff itself. Google even wrote their own incompatible "glib" libraries (why??)!

PR1.2 maemo has matured to a usable platform and ripe for a stability drive (never going to happen).

Frustratingly, the focus is now on MeeGo - maemo has entered "maintenance" cycle. Meego is incomplete.

Nokia appear arrogant and not interested in communicating with it's users. Everything I have learned about about maemo, meego and Nokia has been through community members of this forum.

Nokia are falling further behind in the high-end smartphone market.

Nokia need a management team that understands the modern market. The aristocratic board of directors plainly do not.

If android & iPhone are the only real alternatives then I will be endlessly disappointed with my future smartphone.

Nokia still have a lions' share of the mobile phone market (e.g. everything symbian) and are doing just fine.

Nokia have done some great work with QT and given us a choice of SDKs.

Nokia make great hardware.

Nokia is european.

Nokia are better off outsourcing thier OVI store to somebody else. Nokia clearly can't get it right.

I hope Nokia get it right with meego - if they make the same mistakes then they will have no chance competing in the smartphone market and become a standard mobile phone manufacturer. (I really hope this does not happen)

I like cake.

Last edited by johnel; 2010-08-03 at 08:03.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to johnel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by PradaBrada View Post
I have never heard, nor want to hear, nor give a **** about howardforums

Indeed, Nokia has been a disgrace ever since the post-N95 era
Actually it is not "era", it is just communicator series that was doomed to be lame child, and n900 is clearly following it.

Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
Seriously, please just ignore PradaBrada, don't feed him...

He already admitted that he is only here "for the lulz"...

It is funny that you try to feed him and convince him, but he doesn't care about anybody else's opinion, so why do you care about his?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Venemo For This Useful Post:
Well I must say it was interesting reading all the comments.

I love my N900 and would not change it for any phone. I previously owned the HTC Desire which was good but no where near a versitile as the N900. The build quality of the N900 is superior to that of any other handset on the market.

The OS is very well intergrated, it can multi-boot with several different OS's has a hugh memory.

You can also develope your own applications. I found that alot of the alternative systems were very closed and you could only use what was in their respective stores.

But then I enjoy playing with gadget anyway so for me this is ideal

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to d4k007 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 279 | Thanked: 231 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Holland
We all agree Nokia has made mistakes, and I also doubt that it will compete to it's best competitors in let's say the next year. But if we were all this disappointed, why are we still running maemo? Many kudos to this community, for it had brought us that wich Nokia could'nt provide.

There are hints pointing out that there are folks working on another update for maemo, and IMO this is already pretty stable as OS and UI.

Not get officially supported? I tend to neglect the word "officially" on an open source project like this very one. We got virtally all things that 'seemed to be missing' through this community. And with meego not going to be officially supported, we will see it running on our linix tablet phones one way or another. With the attention MeeGo will be getting, I think its going to develop faster than Maemo.

There's still plenty of room to love on these forums, and I cannot be called a fanboy untill I like Nokia's support, Nokia's marketing, the majority of Nokia's devices, or the consumer care we get. Lets put our hopes and kudos at the fabulous programmers here who got done what had been said could't been done.

Posts: 577 | Thanked: 699 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Malta
Originally Posted by johnel View Post
I like cake.
I like pie.

The Following User Says Thank You to pantera1989 For This Useful Post:

Tags
be happy, don't worry, glasshalffull, haveniceday, koolaid, pradabrada, speaketh truth, thinkpositive