Active Topics

Notices

I suspect the large storage requirements have a lot to do with the FAT32 filesystem used for MyDocs. The block size is 64k so each file will take 64k no matter if it is 2k or 40k.

The solution would be to either use NTFS or another storage layer on top of the filesystem like sqlite - with the drawback that you'd need to use tools to manage the cache and is less interoperable with other applications (for example, I understand cloudGPS can use the mappero tile cache).
Would it be possible to store them in /home/user where the minimum filesize is 4k, and symlink them to MyDocs/.maps/? Or do the same with a memorycard with an appropriate filesystem?

How feasible is it implementing a sqlite storage layer? Could several mapping applications share the data if it is stored that way?

Originally Posted by magnunor View Post
Would it be possible to store them in /home/user where the minimum filesize is 4k, and symlink them to MyDocs/.maps/? Or do the same with a memorycard with an appropriate filesystem?

How feasible is it implementing a sqlite storage layer? Could several mapping applications share the data if it is stored that way?
The original Maemo Mapper (which is available for OS2008) does it someway like this. There you got only one file for each repository, which takes far less storage. But unfortunately I'm not a developer. Hopefully there's is someone else who can implement this?

Originally Posted by magnunor View Post

/home/user is on 2Gb partition that is shared with /opt so probably not a good idea to fill with data.

You could create an ext3 filesystem in a file in MyDocs somewhere, and mount it under .maps, then everyone would be happy and applications can still share the maps. I think you'd have a limit of 2 (or 4)Gb because of the vfat file size limit.

I actually tried this and with a 2Kb block size, filesystem usage dropped from 107Mb to 22Mb, for 20Mb worth of data. Of course, I still have a 200Mb file where the filesystem lives, but that can be shrunk or expanded.

can any1 help me i'm trying to download cyprus map but each time i disconnect i zoom to for example 4 the zoom i've downloaded it's pixleated...

the way i'm downloading is by making the small island fit my screen and than maps, manage maps, and choose the zoom level and tap ok.. but than it gives me a big number like 189767... and i,d have to zoom more and than the number decreases but the map isn't downloaded all...

one more thing.. how can i save places before u go there.. for example i want to pin a restourant, a hotel..

thanks!

Last edited by drinu88; 2010-08-15 at 05:41.

No one can help????????

I also got the problem, that, when you download a big number of map tiles it takes very long (sometimes hours).

You should try first to download only one level. Choose a less detailed level like e.g. 12. The number of map tiles should be much smaller and download should run.

You can load map tiles using two other ways:

1. If you have planned a route, you can download only the map tiles around your route. But, you also have to take care, that you are not choosing to much levels or to detailed levels (for a big area).

2. Open Mappero and go to the zoom-level you like. When you now move the map on your screen, mappero loads the map-tiles for the areas that are shown. Of course you can use this way only for a small area or a short route.

I know, that this is not really a solution. It's just the way how I work around this problem. Hope I understood your problem right.

I tried to add the following comment to Maemo Garage but from some reason it wasn't posted so I'm posting it here.

I also have the crashes with beta12, but I found out that they happen only when using Google Maps tiles. When I switched to OSM tiles, the crashes stopped.

Using Google Maps, crashes happen under the following circumstances:

1. After unblanking the screen while auto-center is activated.
2. After activating auto center.
3. While dragging the map when auto center is activated.

Posts: 67 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Claremont (LA), California
Originally Posted by techie View Post
@droll
.maps under MyDocs

I have a problem with mappero, it does not follow my gps location.The screen stays at the same place while I follow the route and ultimately the route just goes off screen,with the screen staying at the origin location!
I also messed around with auto center settings but didn't work.Using version beta12, can anybody help
I know you already solved this by a reinstall, but there's a vastly simpler way for other people having the same problem. (It drove me nuts before I discovered the fix, BTW.) When you tap the screen and get all the icons, one of them is "GPS". Tap on that icon and a check mark will appear. Tap it again, and the check mark goes away. The GPS only operates when the check is there! (Once you understand it, this is a nice feature to have...)

Posts: 67 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Claremont (LA), California
Hey, all,

I just downloaded the latest version (3.1) and while I was playing with it, I stumbled across how to find a route to a POI! It's pretty clumsy, but at least you can do it.
  1. In the top menu, select "POI".
  2. In the POI menu, select "Browse..."
  3. Choose a method of finding the POI. You have a choice of starting with POIs nearest the current GPS location (default) or entering a latitude/longitude to center at (I haven't gotten that one to work yet). You can also put a string in the "Query" box to restrict what you find, or select a category (or both).
  4. Click "OK" to get a list of matching POIs.
  5. Select your desired destination and click "Go To". A message will pop up telling you that auto-center is off.
  6. Click "Close" to get rid of the POI list.
  7. Click outside the "Browse POIs" box to get back to the map. Your destination will be in the center.
  8. Click on the map to bring up the control icons.
  9. Click the crosshairs icon (upper left).
  10. Click your POI. If a "Select Point" window pops up, click "POI".
  11. A POI window will appear. Select "Find route to..."
  12. Click "OK". Your route will be calculated.
  13. IMPORTANT: Tap on the map again, and select the gear icon so you can re-enable auto-centering.

That's it. It's not very handy, and it only works for routing to a POI; I haven't found a way to route from one. (Well, you can use "Swap" to reverse the route, but it's usually not very helpful to find the route from a POI to where you currently are!)

BTW, does anybody know what thread contains a list of changes to Mappero? The download just says "bugfixes"; it would be nice to know what was fixed. I did a bunch of searching but couldn't find the list.

Mappero is awesome, but there are two things that escape me:

1. how to keep the gps location centered when driving. Every few minutes I drive 'off the map' and have to sweep the screen to get the dot back center.

2. how do I prevent the screen from switching off.

Paai