Posts: 124 | Thanked: 144 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Puerto Rico
ROFL! Similar issue. When I tried to bought a velcro case for it, here in Puerto Rico, the guy at the store was eye watching it without blinking . Then I told him you can touch it. It won't break. After minutes of skin to phone contact, he even put the kickstand out and place it on the booth, He asked The Magic Question.... Ta da! What is it?

PS. The worst part was when he asked, if it's an Iphone clone with a keyboard? Here in Puerto Rico are many many clones out in the street.
http://j0hnmcclane.deviantart.com/

Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
Similar adventure here.

It was back in december of 2009 some weeks after I got my N900.
I was visiting the local MediaMarkt just to check out the mobiles and netbooks.
There was an Ovi event and I asked the (good looking) Ovi-girl if they already have a N900 to test.
She said that no and that it is not available yet.
I swiped out my N900 and asked her what that then is.
She got big eyes.
"YOU HAVE A N900?????!!!!!111"
I said yes and that I am one of the firsts.
She asked to play with it a little bit since she got only one opportunity for about 2 minutes back at a Nokia training.
Of course, I said and handed her over my N900. I wasted the time playing around with other phones.
After playing around for !half an hour! she came to me and gave it back (she managed to install some games).
She said, that she likes the touchscreen, that is because it is capacitive.
I said no, it is resistive, you can touch it with anything you want, took a cable from a charger and used that as stylus.
She was impressed.
Then I asked her if I could play around with the BH-905 Bluetooth headset (because one hour before I was told by another one that this is not possible since it is a hygiene product).
Without a word she opened a package and gave it to me.
WOW! What a sound!
The whole time she was standing next to me watching my face.
After I had anough testing I gave it back and she said that she would like to see me again.
I thought: LIAR!!! You only want to play with my N900!!

Well we never saw us again, but maybe sometime?

Posts: 75 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Malta
funny guys from the states lol. a few months back at school i was messing with my n900 and a guy suddenly says "wow everyone's got an n900" and trust me i've seen it out and about.

where i come from (malta) nokia is kind of the king of phones because of their reliability. If I ask for an HTC most will get confused and that's not mentioning that a smartphone has an OS haha many don't even know what symbian is let alone android or maemo. xD

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Sorta contradictory to say Nokia is king in your area but folks don't know what Symbian is...

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Sorta contradictory to say Nokia is king in your area but folks don't know what Symbian is...
no not really. most are just non techy people they just buy nokia devices blindly because of their reliability. so no it's not contradictory. they just don't care what's inside as long as there's a nokia logo on the phone

Originally Posted by fieryriver View Post
no not really. most are just non techy people they just buy nokia devices blindly because of their reliability. so no it's not contradictory. they just don't care what's inside as long as there's a nokia logo on the phone
I don't mind admitting that I'm wrong - good point you've made there.

But now it brings up another... what's worse? iSheep or SymbianSheep?

It's rhetorical.

Posts: 282 | Thanked: 337 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Austin, TX, USA
I went into T-Mobile here in Austin to get a new SIM card. The guy had never seen an N900, and (thankfully) handed it to me to pull the back off, but he was not a total ***** like some of you seem to have run into. Actually, I was the one who had a moment of confusion wondering why the sim card slot was empty when he pointed out I was looking in the SD card slot (I really don't open the back that often!).

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
I don't mind admitting that I'm wrong - good point you've made there.

But now it brings up another... what's worse? iSheep or SymbianSheep?

It's rhetorical.
lol i think the world could without them all iSheep SymbianSheep MeeGoSheep DroidSheep WebOSSheep WinSheep etc...

everyone should just stick to what they actually like and not what they are conditioned to like.

"You're kidding, right? It's a Nokia N900."

"Is that a phone?"
Loved the story!

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by fieryriver View Post
everyone should just stick to what they actually like and not what they are conditioned to like.
Unless you're a hermit living in an ice cave, you're already conditioned to like certain things. Trends. Even the hermit is probably conditioned to like certain climate or aesthetics by the way he's lived.

The important thing is for people to understand what they need to achieve in life and make their decisions around it. Including tools purchase such as these.... whether it's just a conscious leisure spending or work tool or a combination of both or whatever...

Conscious, self aware sheeps are okay in my book. As long as they're aware of the condition. There's no real need to trailblaze your own way (is there really such thing nowadays?) just for its own sake.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!