Active Topics

Hi

If I press the g and h keys at the same time, the phone powers off. If I press any key and then the e key shortly after that, it powers off. If I open and close the keyboard sometimes it shuts down.
Occasionally, pressing only one key will cause this.
As far as I can tell, it's only the keyboard keys that cause this, and some shutdown's are a lot more reliable than others, G-H is a certainty.

It isn't a clean shutdown though. It's as if the power has just been cut. The screen goes out line by line, the same as powering off an old game boy.
This happened a few weeks ago with another n900. The usb port fell out of that one, and I was charging the battery using a regular lipo charger.
That phone was replaced with this one, the only thing that is the same is the battery and sim card.

Needless to say, this makes the phone very hard to use
I have reflashed the phone already, although I don't believe that this is software related, as I can power it off the very moment it boots, in fact, with the G-H kill combination depressed, I can't even power it on at all.

Thanks

Posts: 273 | Thanked: 113 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Germany
Hi Jopish,

from your description I am pretty sure that the problem is hardware related.

Now, as you said, the only thing that did not change was the battery. Can you give it a try with another battery? As the error can be reproduced so quickly, maybe you can just lend a battery from another N900 (or maybe 5800) owner. Or maybe even get somebody in a shop to let you try...

If this does not help, the fault seems to be within the unit and there will be no other way but swapping the device once more.

Regards,
Corwin

Useful links for newcomers: New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
If I can help with anything else, just ask! Please click 'Thanks!' if this post was helpful.