Active Topics

Posts: 820 | Thanked: 436 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Portsmouth, UK.
In the UK most 'pay as you go' tarrifs allow you to add 'bolt-ons' so for £5 a month you can have 'unlimited' data (up to 500mb usually).
Pretty much every contact tarrif also allows this.

So depending on your location you might be able to get quite a good deal on data.

I'm on Orange (UK) and they made a cock up on my bill and I now get data completely free.

Ive been looking into Wind Mobile which has a 1700Mhz frequency, perfect for the N900.

Posts: 97 | Thanked: 67 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Santiago, Chile
speficic to your quesiton about UMTS or not.
I live in Chile where no Carrier supports UMTS basebands 900/1700/2100 - I can live with 2.5G it is enough to get by.

I have never regretted buying it webbrowser and chat support is awesome. if you are a medium 2 heavy user you will have to recharge during the day though as it does not last for the day if you use it for IM and Web.

Integrated SIP calling is also awesome - applications are a little scarse but will increase with the QT push of Symbian and the launch of N8 - so I hope & guess.
recent phone / tablett history SE W900, Nokia E65, Nokia N95-8GB / N900

Originally Posted by Ranarr View Post
Hey everyone, how goes it?

Im faily new to the forum but not new to forums in general. I didnt search this due to the slight urgency.

Im looking at the N900 off Ebay. Risky I know, but for around 330-350 USD with shipping, its perfect.

But I live in Canada, and specifically have Fido as a service provider, meaning the 3G wont work in my area.

Im a student going to live on residance, so talking isn't going to be my number one priority. Texting, Facebook, games, Twitter, browsing web pages and going on MSN-esque programs are my main needs. Aswell as a flowing UI, which Maemo can give. I'm not a 'power' user, but I love to tinker with the device (Former Symbian User)

So in final my question is:

Is it worth getting the N900 if my area is not 3G compatible?
Should I focus on Andriod instead?
I use my n900 at different times at our summerhouse. I can not reach 3G there. But for these things you have described it would not be a problem. All sites with not so much big images etc works well. And if you love "fiddeling" around with your device n900 is perfect. It can do almost everything a laptop can do and even more. A few drawbacks from my point of view. Calendar suck! Phone calling is not the best. But thats only a few things compared to whar you get. So I say buy!

The Following User Says Thank You to Mebore For This Useful Post:
Posts: 282 | Thanked: 337 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Austin, TX, USA
I spend weekends alot in the summer in a place with 2g-only (not even 2.5g). We have wifi in the house, so when I am home everything works like a charm. When I go out and about, 2g is pretty slow for most stuff (like mapping, web browsing, etc.), but it is functional if needed. Text-based stuff like IM and background stuff like email works mostly without any noticeable difference on 2g. Even Facebrick runs fine on 2g, though the facebook site itself is pretty slow via web. And the phone automatically switches to WIFI at home or wherever else you set it up, so you may get good coverage most places anyway.

The other thing is: if there is no 3g where you live, any smartphone is going to be slow. So the N900 will be no worse than anyone else at 2g.

The Following User Says Thank You to rmerren For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 206 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Vancouver
I used mine with Rogers on wifi only for a long time before WIND launched and now I get 3G data. Having the 3G is nice but not necessary. Personally I'd avoid the N900 until the next device comes out and has baked long enough to know whether Nokia's going to take another huge dump on it's customers. Go Android for now.

Posts: 14 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Broendby, Copenhagen, Denmark
It really doesn't matter if you buy an Android or a Maemo phone - in matters of lost functionality - the loss is equel. In both cases you'll benefit quite a lot, performancewise if you can gain access to a WiFi hotspot (Your camous might be covered).

But if you love to tinker, then you'll get more free hands with the Maemo device (N900). It supports not only GTK+ and Qt apps, but also Python, Java and more.

Posts: 93 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Malaysia
yes. very useful at times.. internet.. scheduling, if done right.. im.. sms.. community support... wee bit frustrating if ur using it as ur main phone.. finicky phone app..

Banned | Posts: 206 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Vancouver
He wouldn't be losing functionality with an android device because there are many HSPA Android devices out there that will work on his network.

Posts: 1,210 | Thanked: 597 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ hamburg,germany
nobody can help you with that its your decision.fact is n900 is a really great device.super fast,great browser,nice camera and many many functions.
but the n900 is like a dog.
if you dont want to spend time for it(to make it better)its maybe the wrong device for you.
pls browse the web get any information you need for the decision.
but dont buy it if you dont need/want it.

we have definetly enough trolls and whiners at this forum....

Nobody likes us but we dont care....