Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 376 | Thanked: 511 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Greece
Originally Posted by aanckar View Post
I really don't get it. Perhaps I'll have time for some more tests later.
Here is the last (I hope) attempt for fixing this: Soon there will be a new version (0.7.1-1) in extras-devel. This is only meant for debugging and it won't reach extras-testing. In fact I created specifically for you :-)

This version will redirect stdout and stderr to /tmp/drlaunch.log. This means that if you manage to crash the desktop by installing drlaunch it will most probably contain the answer to the problem.

So, get 0.7.1-1 from extras-devel and install it. Then try to recreate the problem. If you manage to do it then send me the contents of the file. It should contain the answer.

EDIT: Of course everyone is invited to use 0.7.1-1. It shouldn't cause any trouble.

The Following User Says Thank You to v13 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by rantom View Post
If I may I'd though have a suggestion for future versions; support to rotate and add other widgets to the fields. I though think that this won't happen, since every widget can be in different size/etc?
Programs are just icons while widgets are executable code that require proper loading. It *could* be possible to support contants and bookmarks (with a lot of extra code) but I believe that widgets will never be supported.

Sorry

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by v13 View Post
Programs are just icons while widgets are executable code that require proper loading. It *could* be possible to support contants and bookmarks (with a lot of extra code) but I believe that widgets will never be supported.

Sorry
Alright, thanks for that.

I'm by the way having problems with either this widget (DrLaunch) or Black Plastic-theme. I can't swap my themes anymore, since the Themes-button does squat. I also don't get my widgets loaded, I only get the Media Player Widget loaded during startup, otherwise my desktops are blank. I've already uninstalled Black Plastic but that didn't help.

Restoring from older backup (and not restoring the Black Plastic nor installing DrLaunch) did not help either. I'm considering to re-flash the device...

Last edited by rantom; 2010-08-11 at 21:23.

Alright, thanks for that.

I'm by the way having problems with either this widget (DrLaunch) or Black Plastic-theme. I can't swap my themes anymore, since the Themes-button does squat. I also don't get my widgets loaded, I only get the Media Player Widget loaded during startup, otherwise my desktops are blank. I've already uninstalled Black Plastic but that didn't help.

Restoring from older backup (and not restoring the Black Plastic nor installing DrLaunch) did not help either. I'm considering to re-flash the device...
Could you please try DrLaunch 0.7.1-1 from extras-devel before reflashing? If the problem is caused by DrLaunch I'd like to see the errors that this version will record.

Posts: 138 | Thanked: 85 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Finland
Here is the last (I hope) attempt for fixing this: Soon there will be a new version (0.7.1-1) in extras-devel. This is only meant for debugging and it won't reach extras-testing. In fact I created specifically for you :-)
My very own version? I feel very honored!

I will test it out soon and report back.

The Following User Says Thank You to aanckar For This Useful Post:
Posts: 138 | Thanked: 85 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Finland
I managed to reproduce the crash... strangely it happened only after I changed fonts with the plastic theme - uninstalled - reinstalled - rebooted - installed drlaunch. It didn't happen last time I did the exact same thing (without changing the font).

Nevertheless, here is the log file, and while I'm no developer and can make little sense of any of it, I can tell you it's full of fail. Which in this case is only for the better, I reckon.
Attached Files
File Type: zip drlaunch.zip (780 Bytes, 88 views)

The Following User Says Thank You to aanckar For This Useful Post:
Could you please try DrLaunch 0.7.1-1 from extras-devel before reflashing? If the problem is caused by DrLaunch I'd like to see the errors that this version will record.
I think it wasn't even a bug with DrLaucnh, since after removing over 70 apps (plus all my themes) I got the Themes back. The DrLaunch works just fine now and loads up after boot, as it's supposed to (which didn't happen earlier). Thanks still though.

I know this is a double-post but still. I noticed, that the DrLaunch does not, after all, load any of it's widgets for me, whilst booting up. This also effects to other widgets, e.g. bluetzwitch, Calendar Home Widget and ConnectNow. However, for some reason, it doesn't affect the MediaPlayer widget.

(And I found out why my Themes didn't work, it was because of an-DROID. Don't know why but it is the culprit for that.)

Posts: 1,397 | Thanked: 2,126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
I know this is a double-post but still. I noticed, that the DrLaunch does not, after all, load any of it's widgets for me, whilst booting up. This also effects to other widgets, e.g. bluetzwitch, Calendar Home Widget and ConnectNow. However, for some reason, it doesn't affect the MediaPlayer widget.
I haven't had problems when rebooting, just when adding/installing Dr Launch. In fact I have to add first Dr Launch and then the rest of the widgets.

My dissapearing widgets include Personal IP Address, Personal Dataplan Monitor, OM Weather, Connect Now, Touch Search, Calendasr Home Widget and Bluezwitch but the Media Player widget also resists for me.

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I believe that we nailed it

Based on the logfile that aanckar sent and the widgets list i was able to reproduce the bug. For most (if not all) of you, the problem occurred whenever DrLaunch was used in conjunction with bluezwitch.

The problem is a bug/problem of hildon-desktop API and is accompanied by a limitation of the python bindings for hildon-deskop. In short, the dbus.SystemBus() seems to not be able to work for more than one widgets and since bluezwitch was using it too, DrLaunch caused hildon-home to crash.

Also see this bug #8611

Soon version 0.8-1 will reach extras-devel and then extras-testing. You can try that one.

Thanks a lot all of you and especially aanckar!

Last edited by v13; 2010-08-12 at 14:00.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to v13 For This Useful Post: