Active Topics

Originally Posted by smoku View Post
You think putting the new name sticker on top will fix things?
No sadly the sticker by itself wont do anything. I believe the real issue here is Nokia unwillingness to support the N900. If Nokia wanted to support it, they have the money and expertise to make this work and work well.

Meego is something they are invested in. I believe to not give it there all will truly be the beginning of Nokia's suicide.

2d

Posts: 14 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Broendby, Copenhagen, Denmark
If you take a look at the complete Package of Ovi-services - you'll find that the only Ovi-service that works perfectly is Ovi-Mail, well mostly because it is webmail (A microB plugin is used for the automatic login). Mostly these services is a no go - with the N900.

It's not just an Ovi Store problem.

Many regards

Posts: 362 | Thanked: 145 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Sydney, Australia
Smoku, as I understand it, there is no forthcoming improved amiga port.

Are you planning one for android ?

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
hey why don't we set up a private Maemo5 app store? host by the community and have paid apps or free apps in there?
I think we can do better than the crappy stupid Ovi store that Nokia never pay attention at and bother to maintaining it? Nokia is failing bad, worst than ever again and again. Only just a web site FFS how hard is it to just maintain it properly?

Posts: 478 | Thanked: 165 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Manchester
Originally Posted by maxximuscool View Post
hey why don't we set up a private Maemo5 app store? host by the community and have paid apps or free apps in there?
I think we can do better than the crappy stupid Ovi store that Nokia never pay attention at and bother to maintaining it? Nokia is failing bad, worst than ever again and again. Only just a web site FFS how hard is it to just maintain it properly?
I've seen this proposed many times on here but nothing ever comes of it.

Don't forget the thanks button if I helped you

Posts: 1,716 | Thanked: 3,007 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by maxximuscool View Post
I think we can do better than the crappy stupid Ovi store that Nokia never pay attention at and bother to maintaining it?
I'm glad you can do it.

When will it be ready?

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
Originally Posted by smoku View Post
I'm glad you can do it.

When will it be ready?
I would if i have a more reliable computer and internet. My net is crap here in NZ. Slow as hell. If someone else could host it then I am sure people here would love to contribute just made my credit card the other day.

I think there are not many developers still active on this forum anymore. Most just gave up and stopped bother develope anything new for N900. Since Ovi a pain then who would upload their app there? even the great Smoku is giving up. I can't see the future lol

Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
Understood but it's more work on the developer.

On the one hand: There's supposedly a store they can upload their closed source app and users can't even download it without first paying.

On the other hand: There's a repository where users can download their app and the developer themselves have to code in a special way to handle keys.

See which one is easier?

Don't get me wrong.. I don't pay for software anyway.. so I'm certainly not a user of the software I'm talking about.. I only deal with Open Source. I am just saying I can see their frustration... it's just a Non-issue for me.
While I agree with Fatalsaint, in that I rarely buy software anymore, mainly because I prefer owning the source, I do buy games occasionally and even more so when it is to support the efforts of developers who support my platform of choice. I've bought many Linux games for instance, just to show my support, and haven't actually played any of them the whole way through (due to time, etc)

I even bought Angry Birds level pack 1 and Zenbound, to show my support of the N900.

So Saturday I was playing around with MeeGo, couldn't do much, so installed NITDroid. I only once owned a Motorola Cliq for about a month before I bought my N900... I had forgotten how much Android annoyed me. NITDRoid lasted about an hour of me searching for Flash 10.1, then I gave up and reformatted my SDCard back.

The thing that annoyed me was the Market. As others have said, unless your app is extremely popular, it gets buried.

Oh, and there already are Amiga emulators for Android, UAE4Droid.

slaapliedje

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to slaapliedje For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
My take on the subject: http://tabulacrypticum.wordpress.com...the-ovi-store/

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:

Tags
ovi store