Notices

Originally Posted by pycage View Post
I was online a few days with Skype during the day (on 2.5G) and the impact on battery life was hardly noticable.
If you can go a couple of days with Skype on (even 2.5G) you must have a specially annointed phone. How many days can your battery last?

Posts: 424 | Thanked: 196 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sweden
Testresults idle with Skype online:
1. Skype idle 8h on 2G: Battery 97% down to 82% = 15% in 8h = 1,875% per hour.
2. Skype idle 8h on 3G: Battery 95% down to 79% = 15% in 8h = 1,875% per hour.
3. MSN Idle 9h on 2G: Battery 97% down to 74% = 23% in 8h = 2,555% per hour.
4. MSN idle 8h on 3G: Battery 96% down to 55% = 41% in 8h = 5,125% per hour.

Also Idle with nothing online:
8h on 2G: Battery 96% down to 89% = 7% in 8h = 0,875% per hour.

MSN Messenger eats your battery! But its reasonable on 2G.

Sofar, no significant difference between using 2G or 3G.
Now, what will be the difference if Im offline? Skype online for 8h vs Skype Offline.

And last, I will test Messenger.

Last edited by toxaris; 2010-08-19 at 11:41. Reason: More testresults

Posts: 374 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Hungary
Originally Posted by toxaris View Post
Yea, might be so. How much battery does Skype on N900 drain when online? Do you have any experience?
Otherwise will will take a week and let my phone idle with Skype online during night and see how much it drains.
I find MSN Messenger drain quite some battery, you cant be online a whole day with normal use without recharge later the same day.
Am always online, and I do lots of calls during the day via Skype. I have to recharge my device once a day. It does not drain the battery fast.

Last edited by taril; 2010-08-13 at 07:48.

Interesting. Good to know. I'm curious if you've tried it with 3G. My phone is my main data access point for my laptop so its hard for me to test.

Im on HSDPA (3,5G) during the day, I use wifi only at home.

That's great to know, thanks! I guess I'm used to tethering so much throughout the day and seeing my battery basically last a little over an hour without a charger that I'm totally skewed. When push comes to shove glad to see that the battery can last all day if I'm just using calls.

On a side note Taril, how's your Skype call quality on 3 / 3.5G?

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Originally Posted by geohsia View Post
If you can go a couple of days with Skype on (even 2.5G) you must have a specially annointed phone. How many days can your battery last?
I didn't say it was on a single battery load.
I had it online on a few days for IM and didn't notice any much difference on battery impact as when not being online with skype.

as long as skype doesn't send over all kinds of data when connected, why would skype in the background consume any battery?

If the processes is in a blocking i/o wait the process is in sleep and doesnt do anything, And if there is no data what so ever coming then the data connection also doesn't consume anything (just like with ipad, ipad needs a connection open to the apple servers to be able to push!!)

So if skype does consume a lot then that means that there are loads of unneeded data flowing back and forward.. (i think this is the case with msn that does seem to chatter i think)

Originally Posted by geohsia View Post
That's great to know, thanks! I guess I'm used to tethering so much throughout the day and seeing my battery basically last a little over an hour without a charger that I'm totally skewed. When push comes to shove glad to see that the battery can last all day if I'm just using calls.

On a side note Taril, how's your Skype call quality on 3 / 3.5G?
voice and video call quality is professional over 3-3,5 G, with 2.5 G only voice call is available.

And it is works between N900-N900-PC-Other, not only N900-N900 like on iP4

Last edited by taril; 2010-08-13 at 08:41.

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
Originally Posted by toxaris View Post
Yea, maybe you are right guys, running skype the way its meant might be the best in the long run.
I hope that does not include leeching bandwidth to route other skype users' calls like on desktop skype? Has anyone done any tests to see whether "mobile" skype steals bandwidth?