Active Topics

Posts: 354 | Thanked: 151 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ London (UK) / Zielona Góra (PL)
Originally Posted by memoryguy View Post
There seems to be a lot of fear-mongering about this script. Is there any actual evidence to back up the claims that it causes all sorts of damage? Or is it all just FUD?
The main problem with this script is that it bluntly kills a lot of system processes and applications (without even checking if they're actually running), which itself isn't entirely bad, but is a bit "unclean" way of doing it. There might or might not be side effects of running such mass-killall, so basically ymmv. Earlier in this thread I've suggested better ways of finding out which system processes exactly cause long-term issues with memory and performance, and killing those properly in first place, rather than executing tens of killalls in row.

Tbh, initially I felt fairly enthusiastic about this script, yet finally decided to not run it on my device, as I believe there are better ways of regaining N900's performance.

This is like a story out of the Winblows world.
Oh, the server is not working anymore? Just reboot it, that will fix the problem (NOT).. unthinkable scenario for mission critical unix boxes. And yes, my phone is mission critical

The Following User Says Thank You to Scummer For This Useful Post:
Posts: 117 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ San Diego
Originally Posted by evad View Post
The main problem with this script is that it bluntly kills a lot of system processes and applications (without even checking if they're actually running), which itself isn't entirely bad, but is a bit "unclean" way of doing it. There might or might not be side effects of running such mass-killall, so basically ymmv. Earlier in this thread I've suggested better ways of finding out which system processes exactly cause long-term issues with memory and performance, and killing those properly in first place, rather than executing tens of killalls in row.

Tbh, initially I felt fairly enthusiastic about this script, yet finally decided to not run it on my device, as I believe there are better ways of regaining N900's performance.
Okay, what are those 'better' ways?

Posts: 354 | Thanked: 151 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ London (UK) / Zielona Góra (PL)
Originally Posted by Russianhaxor View Post
Okay, what are those 'better' ways? :confused:
Search through my posts in this thread.

@masq and @memoryguy.

The other script is about tweaks for the N900 to run better and speedy. But remember, it does not make miracles! Most of the things it includes are tweaks that many have already on their devices, but the script is intended to be use for people that only want to do one click and nothing more

Originally Posted by chemist View Post
I ran it once to see if everything returns properly and disabled some things ahead... reboot
Oh, you are so smart, you ran it one and your device have so many stupid things that it did not support one little script. More than 70 people disagrees with you. I tested the script for almost 3 months, so please, one time reboot is nothing to be afraid.

Challenge? I challenge you to send me back from future... read again
Oh and when you are done with time-traveling please provide proper battery readings as well... as my battery remains on 0% for about 12h - reboot included... EDIT: found the proper tools
Instead of crying and impose or require, why don't you help us to fix all you claim is not working well?
Is very easy to criticize and not to help.

The Following User Says Thank You to JorgeFX For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by memoryguy View Post
Agreed.

By the way, my uptime is 20.5 days now. I have never been able to go this long before without rebooting.

Thanks for a very useful script! For me it's not so much about saving battery but just saving the inconvenience and "embarrassment" of having to reboot my phone. Phones shouldn't need to be rebooted.

(blah blah blah it's not a phone it's a computer blah blah)
Thanks for your comments, it makes me very happy to know I help

Originally Posted by Janniman View Post
Quick question...
Is this script better than just rebooting the phone? (other than the inconvenience of course!)
thanks
It depends if you have battery and time to reboot. For instance, if I you have to record a 30min video and your device feels slow and you have only 30% battery, my advise is to run the script to optimize everything. That way the device will be more speedy and you didn't waste your battery

Originally Posted by evad View Post
Search through my posts in this thread.
Hi Evad, I understand your point, but I tested your method and it seems to be more unstable. I always lose all my widgets. Can you explain me what that does?

Originally Posted by JorgeFX View Post
Hi Evad, I understand your point, but I tested your method and it seems to be more unstable. I always lose all my widgets. Can you explain me what that does?
What exactly do you mean? dsmetool way of restarting hildon-home? It works flawlessly for me, ie. I never loose widgets. Anyway, this is not what I only meant, I was referring to sp-endurance I mentioned in my other post.

Tags
faster, reflash, refresh, script-a-brick, sell it