Posts: 832 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Phoenix, AZ

That's me with Reggie, our gracious host of internettablettalk, holding our internet tablets.

Here's my wrap-up of the event:

Wrap-up Editorial:
http://tabletblog.com/2007/09/nokia-...i-wrap-up.html

Photo Gallery
http://tabletblog.com/2007/09/nserie...o-gallery.html

Video of me grilling Bill Plummer, VP of Multimedia, on the third internet tablet. In that, he gives the whole community props for teaching Nokia about community interaction.
http://tabletblog.com/2007/09/nserie...-nokia-on.html

Last edited by thoughtfix; 2007-09-29 at 22:35.

haha oops... had the first two URLs switched.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
I found this update on IntoMobile where it states that in the US "Nokia is announcing a massive retail effort, partnering with shops that sell phones instead of going after the operators.". This is the list of partner stores:
  • Wireless Toyz
  • BestBuy Mobile
  • MacMall (the iRony)
  • PCMall
  • Wireless Station
  • Banana Wireless
  • Priemer Mobile
  • S&L Wireless
  • Phone 2 Go
  • UCLA (sell direct to students?)
  • etc

I wonder if any of the above stores will stock Nokia Internet Tablets?

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Great photos and coverage.... thoughfix good job!!!

Posts: 186 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Canada
Great coverage thorughtfix! “770 uber geeks, N800 geeks, next tablet mainstream” Good thing you asked him about that.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Good Job Dude!

...the third Internet Tablet will be a device farther from the hacker market of the 770 and more consumer oriented.
Nice!

I smell useful in house or partnered apps coming.

I agree, YoDude. Another thing I'm hoping for (that wouldn't be on the FCC site) is either a slider keyboard or a better camera. Not because I would want them for myself - but because it'd convince many more to adopt this platform.

Isn't the iPhone a good argument that a hardware keyboard isn't necessary for a mainstream device? I would have thought that the N800's soft keyboard spoke for itself, but apparently not.

I don't want to waste size and weight on my device with a keyboard. If the next device has a physical keyboard, I won't buy it. Not at any price.

I think just unlocking the unused capabilities of the N800 would elevate it from good to incomparably awesome. I mean the limited video bandwidth and the 3d acceleration.

The 3d acceleration would be a much bigger boon than it sounds like, especially when the hardware tessellation backend for cairo is released.

The Following User Says Thank You to DataPath For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
I'm all for typing faster on my mobile devices. Go go slide-out keyboards!

Originally Posted by DataPath View Post
Isn't the iPhone a good argument that a hardware keyboard isn't necessary for a mainstream device? I would have thought that the N800's soft keyboard spoke for itself, but apparently not.
I don't think we need to have just one style of device. As long as they're all the same platform there's potential for many different sizes and form factors to suit different people's tastes and needs. This would be the best way to expand support for the platform.

Don't forget, the iPhone isn't exactly mainstream, at least not yet. 1 million sales in a few months is absolutely nothing by phone standards, Nokia alone sells 1 million every single day and they're only a third of the market. I think the iPhone will sell well compared to iPods, but in its current form it will never be more than a niche of the overall phone market, because there is no way for a single device to appeal to the majority of the market. Personal tastes are too diverse, there can't be a perfect phone in the same way there can't be a perfect film or a perfect book.

There's nothing to stop Nokia bringing out two or three tablet models a year in parallel, just as they bring out a dozen similarly-specced smartphone models every year. The recently announced E51 smartphone is a candybar shape and absolutely tiny, just 61cc, whereas the also recently announced N95 8GB is a slider and much bigger, but they both run exactly the same S60 3.1 software platform at about the same speed.

On top of all that, aren't we expecting some non-Nokia Maemo devices to appear at some point?