Originally Posted by chrisp7 View Post
this is a great idea! - wish we could get it as a deb - it looks really complicated to install.
I agree, but it really needs more than just putting in a deb, it needs a gui to set the configuration... It shouldn't be a big job, I am hoping someone who has developed for the n900 before would like to throw it together.

The package would need to:

Copy the various scripts to the right place
Provide a configuration screen that changes the variables in trackerconstants.py and ssh.sh

If someone wants to do this, I might update the scripts to make the reverse geocoding optional as this causes problems for many people, then it would be configurable in trackerconstants.py

If someone wanted to take it further, there is no need to use the scripts at all and you could create your own client application that just uses the api as described on the site.

Cheers,

Ben

http://jqueryinreallife.blogspot.com - Comedy jQuery blog

Originally Posted by n900-dk View Post
The GPS tracker is only using the last known GPS data, right? - or is GPS turned on in the scripts?

If not, would it then be possible to turn on the GPS with out any icon showing up on the desktop, so you could track the phone, even if the thief is not using GPS applications on the phone?
Otherwise it could be hard tracking the phone with some old GPS data.
Hi Ben

Do you know if this is possible?

BR

Hi Ben

Do you know if this is possible?

BR
I have no idea if it's possible to turn it on and not show the icon, that's way out of my depth , but the scripts I wrote should turn on the GPS and get realtime data, not old data. Also every update is logged on the website and one of the options in the scripts is to get the location every 15 minutes, so you can see if it's moving or has moved...

A more important option rather than hiding the icon is making sure the user can't circumvent the location finding by messing with settings in Settings -> Location.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

i have no idea what to do with the API page. makes no sence to me:P

can't wait for the debian package

Last edited by AlexV12; 2010-08-18 at 16:08.

Posts: 56 | Thanked: 31 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Austria
Hi,

Originally Posted by benh_n900 View Post
variables in trackerconstants.py and ssh.sh
The only variable in "trackerconstants.py" that seems to warrant a configuration option is "c_password". What does that do? Having the login password *stored on the stolen device* with which you can log in to the tracking site and maybe delete the account or whatever seems like a really bad idea. Are there some safeguards against this?

Or is that a password that can only be used to update the position, and only until someone disables that capability for updating using the actual site (with a different account password)? Then ok.

The ssh server's host name and account in "ssh.sh" warrants configuration, yes. Does that assume public-key authentication? If so, should that be set up automatically as well? Or does it work in some completely different way?

Originally Posted by benh_n900 View Post
reverse geocoding ... configurable in trackerconstants.py
Well, doing the actual configuration screen is easy, but what should be configured and how is the question :-)

Posts: 546 | Thanked: 85 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Winnipeg, Canada
Sure, see attached files
THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! I'm almost done my trip but this is the first time I've had a chance to load your new scripts and this is ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC!! It works beautifully & I LOVE the google maps link.

(sorry for all the bold type, but I feel that is necessary to properly convey my enthusiasm )

Is there any way that more than the last 25 log entries can be saved? Having constant email updates is simple but seems a bandwidth waste. Maybe an option to email only after 25 updates have been completed?

TX
N800 | 2 x 8gb OCX SD | Boxwave Anti-glare SS | PDAir book-style case
Holux M-1200 bluetooth GPS | iGo 4-row bluetooth keyboard | Linksys USB 10/100 ethernet | Plantronics Voyager 855 BT Headset

Posts: 162 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ California
In software like this I am foremost looking at it's ability to help me retrieve my device. So I'd like to see the following features:

When lost, I'd like the software to alert the person who finds my phone with my conact info (such as a permanent error message/screen asking the person to call the following number, etc.)

In any case, I'd need the software to get an accurate location fix so I'm able to go to the police and have them retrieve my N900. How will this be acomplished? What if I'm not paying for an internet plan? After being stolen, I'd want the software, when activatited (recovery mode turned on through your remote server by owner of phone?), to go ahead and use aGPS to fix and transmit it's coordinates (which should be a lot faster than using GPS). I don't care if I get billed for a few kilos of data. After all I get to have my device back.

Seems like the software needs a 'recovery' mode on the N900, which can be activated by N900's owner either via the remote recovery service server or by an SMS with key words.

Originally Posted by dannym View Post
Hi,
The only variable in "trackerconstants.py" that seems to warrant a configuration option is "c_password". What does that do? Having the login password *stored on the stolen device* with which you can log in to the tracking site and maybe delete the account or whatever seems like a really bad idea. Are there some safeguards against this?
Don't worry, that password is separate from the account password and used to authenticate just that device connecting to the service.

The ssh server's host name and account in "ssh.sh" warrants configuration, yes. Does that assume public-key authentication? If so, should that be set up automatically as well? Or does it work in some completely different way?
It does assume public-key authentication and it requires the user to have a server to connect to in the first place. I am looking at the possibilities of setting up a service for reverse ssh as I know not everyone has servers, but I am not worried about that for now.

Well, doing the actual configuration screen is easy, but what should be configured and how is the question :-)
Well I think there are four things:

1. c_password, which is the device specific password as defined in your account

2. a new constant, c_reverse_geocode_us which can be 0 or 1, which turns on and off geocoding for the US

3. c_debug (0 or 1 for off or on)

4. For reverse ssh (which could be completely separate) it could either be;

no configuration screen
the full string
or username, server IP (or domain) and port fields which generate the command and directly create or replace ssh.sh

For the public key I guess it would be nice to have an area in the gui to paste it and check/update the file/user permissions

I think that covers it!

Ben

Originally Posted by grog View Post
Is there any way that more than the last 25 log entries can be saved? Having constant email updates is simple but seems a bandwidth waste. Maybe an option to email only after 25 updates have been completed?
TX
At the moment, no entries are deleted so it will be possible to get more than the last 25 in the future, however in terms of its intended use, I am not worried about bandwidth. Once you have setup and tested it, you can turn it off from the web service point of view and just turn the email notifications, location etc. back on when the device needs to be found.

Of course it's always nice to receive that email to know it's actively working and OK

The Following User Says Thank You to benh_n900 For This Useful Post: