Active Topics

Closed Thread
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by tswindell View Post
I think it is on topic .. As the topic is what is the community doing for you. Seriously, you've not read the thread yourself and you are happy to guess at its' contents as you did earlier?

I will save you the trouble though as I'm feeling generous: http://wiki.maemo.org/N900_Hardware_USB_Host

Now, hopefully you'll finally believe that your hardware mods are pointless ... Though, going from your previous history I'm not holding my breath.
As you are not going to stop i will answer your points.

READ PROPERLY as it states "The current status is that USB Host mode is not reliable".
When i did the mods needed to get OTG working it also meant i had to put a SEPERATE source of supply and make a new charging/supply socket to the left side of the usb port where i could find space for it.
I also made a new hole for a second usb port right next to the exsisting usb port.
Please go and read everything your link says and then go read my previous posts and you will find i am still ahead of the team working on host mode.
FINALLY realise i did about 3 days work to do this and no mean feat i can tell you even for me as a hardware ebgineer for over 25 years ! so how do you expect me to put these mods onto a community full of noobs and non engineers?.
ALSO i am playing with the idea of making it a potential earner and for that very reason i will NOT publish the mods.

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
a community full of noobs and non engineers
Aha, thanks for sharing your definition!

The Following User Says Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
ok just read in europe nokia devices have 24 month warranty and accessories have 12 month.
http://www.nokia.co.uk/support/repai...mited-warranty

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NvyUs For This Useful Post:
Posts: 724 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
As you are not going to stop i will answer your points.

READ PROPERLY as it states "The current status is that USB Host mode is not reliable".
When i did the mods needed to get OTG working it also meant i had to put a SEPERATE source of supply and make a new charging/supply socket to the left side of the usb port where i could find space for it.
I also made a new hole for a second usb port right next to the exsisting usb port.
Please go and read everything your link says and then go read my previous posts and you will find i am still ahead of the team working on host mode.
FINALLY realise i did about 3 days work to do this and no mean feat i can tell you even for me as a hardware ebgineer for over 25 years ! so how do you expect me to put these mods onto a community full of noobs and non engineers?.
ALSO i am playing with the idea of making it a potential earner and for that very reason i will NOT publish the mods.
So you've managed to mount a usb storage device then?

Posts: 889 | Thanked: 537 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ scotland
Originally Posted by NvyUs View Post
ok just read in europe nokia devices have 24 month warranty and accessories have 12 month.
http://www.nokia.co.uk/support/repai...mited-warranty
cheers! i'll have to keep that link for the next time they tell me my earphones are only guranteed for 3months! and i dont know how the rest of the eu is getting on but here in britain i dont know ANYONE who has had ANYTHING replaced outside of the 1st year without buying an extended warranty.

its a sad day when i can't slip at least one hitchhiker reference in somewhere.

Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
It's not silly -- I'm truly interested in hearing your definition of community.

Actually it's the exact opposite. A hardware mod alone will never work; there has to be some kernel and userspace work. Technical: How are you going to start pumping power to the gadget device for a start? Philosophical: if it can be entirely done in hardware, why didn't Nokia do it? etc.
Nokia designed this device in such a way it made it impossible mainly because usb host or otg needs a substantial supply seperate to the battery to power up each device attatched to the port via a hub or whatever and because the charging pin is actually in the usb port itself i had to make another input for this.
YES your right it needs software support and unfortunatly as Nokia are dumping Maemo it meant the sofware engineer and i agreed to cease working on the otg driver for now untill we know what Meego brings.
It is a very complex issue now thanks entirely to Nokia and for me a loss of a very good earning potential for now i might add, but i will not hold my breath because Nokia are so damm unreliable.

I have many dealings and run in's with Nokia device's and i was very unhappy with the design of the N900 BUT someone else's failure can be your own potential divider !.

Originally Posted by tswindell View Post
So you've managed to mount a usb storage device then?
We actually managed to "mount" keyboard, mouse, memory stick and a 320gb h/d and put the video out onto a 19" lcd screen, so that will give you some kind of idea the potential of the N900.

Please read the posts on here and let us get back to topic as i am more than anxious to learn of future support for the N900 as a viable OS is concerned.

NB also i forgot to say was a router which gave internet access but we did have a "hot wire" situation to deal with because the wiring could not support the current needed to supply all the addons, this was solved by giving all but keyboard and mouse external supply to them directly.

Last edited by abill_uk; 2010-08-16 at 00:47.

SO now you should be able to realise why for me at least the future of the N900 IS important as i have given away some of my own secrets that i really did want to keep to myself for now so please i ask everyone reading this thread either answer the topic to let everyone know of preferably Meego for the N900 or anything valuable to do with a promising OS that will be workable with ALL hardare device driver support.
This is something Nokia have failed on miserably and i really DO feel for every owner of the N900 as we paid at least 500 pound or more to be left with the situation we have right now.

Please no more war or flaming or name calling let us stick to the issue.

Posts: 162 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Essex, UK
Yeah I realise, you want to make money from an open source device so you are keeping secrets and still want information from other users.

We know as much as you, get that into your head
(nice pun with the gcse level potential divider btw)

Originally Posted by 6sicSIX View Post
Yeah I realise, you want to make money from an open source device so you are keeping secrets and still want information from other users.

We know as much as you, get that into your head
(nice pun with the gcse level potential divider btw)
I am sorry you see it this way but if you understood how difficult it actually is working inside the N900 as in most mobile devices you should understand it is not a good or wise decision to let loose mods that require at least advanced soldering techniques, people would only go crazy after they screwed up the N900 !.

Hey i am not talking a fortune here you know! we had a figure of something like 20 quid for a full mod for your information and i refuse point blank to make people suffer more than they already have with Nokia.

In future course i will let go some of my work but as it is tied up with sofware problems i am waiting to move forward from here.

By the way YSSSS i bloodywell Will ASK THIS COMMUNITY TO HELP simply because there is no better place on this earth for great expertise than on this very community (argue with THAT!).

Closed Thread

Tags
blablabla bla, check offenders, community v us, lost dummy, reggie please, show-me-proof, shutupabillpls, wheres-reggie