Active Topics

Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
I don't think the StackOverflow interface works for a forum. But for a Q&A area it would work. The point of a forum is a linear conversation organized by time. StackOverflow and its cousins usually are for Q&A.
Excellent point. So what kinds of questions would be ideal for this theoretical Maemo Q&A page? I think it would basically be:

"How do I do X on Maemo device Y?"

Right? Nothing more? Well, people could, I suppose, ask more nebulous questions like

"When is Adobe Flash Player 10.1 coming to the N900?"

In that case, the top answer would presumably be the one with the most current & authoritative statement from Nokia (or, if none exists, the closest thing to that). The top answer should NOT, in theory, be the most popular flaming criticism of Nokia.

One challenge with a Q&A is that the knowledge base isn't static. For example, consider a question like "How do I install NITDroid on my N900?" The best answer would have changed dramatically over the past several months. The more vaguely worded the question, the harder it will be to tell if the answer is out of date. Although if the questions are dated, that will help. And if questions can be marked as outdated, that would also help.

Posts: 1,716 | Thanked: 3,007 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
I don't think the StackOverflow interface works for a forum. But for a Q&A area it would work. The point of a forum is a linear conversation organized by time. StackOverflow and its cousins usually are for Q&A.
I think this is exactly the proposal.
Not to replace forum, but supplement it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smoku For This Useful Post:
Yes, I'd definitely agree on an "in addition to" rather than "instead of" sort of deal. StackOverflow and the like don't encourage discussion or meta questions - the only things being asked there should be things that have answers.

There is a proposal for a Maemo-based site on the stack overflow engine at Area51. If people want both, we just need more people to ask and answer questions in this format.

Banned | Posts: 388 | Thanked: 57 times | Joined on Mar 2010
@codeMonkey

We might test these two questions in addition to yours...

Why Maemo is better than (list your favorite OS)
What is your favorite Maemo trick?