Posts: 741 | Thanked: 900 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Auckland NZ
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Changed as per request.

Status update: this project is on hold until a first release of MeeGo-Harmattan (let me insist: provisional name) is published.

We are working on the fixes required for this first release to go out:

- MeeGo Handset unstable releases @ meego.com go first. It would be confusing and unfair if a MeeGo-Harmattan SDK release would include components that are meant to be in MeeGo but we haven't opened them yet. We are still opening components and integrating them to MeeGo almost on a weekly basis.

- The "based on MeeGo" also needs to be clear and in line with the MeeGo project and the Linux Foundation, owner of the MeeGo trademark. Having a first release ignoring this point would be also confusing and unfair. This step depends on the definition of the MeeGo Compliance, which is still a work-in-progress.

You will hear more about MeeGo-Harmattan unstable releases probably when these points are in a mature/done state.

Why don't we call the hacker edition MeeGmo?

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Changed as per request.
Status update: this project is on hold until a first release of MeeGo-Harmattan (let me insist: provisional name) is published.
Thank you, then we will (provisionally, of course) refer to it as MeeGo-Harmattan HE, until the actual name is published, when we will apply the same naming scheme - [final name] HE (and ask moderators to change the topic name yet again )

Posts: 355 | Thanked: 566 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Redstone Canyon, Colorado
We are still opening components and integrating them to MeeGo almost on a weekly basis.
Really? What was closed in Maemo that has been opened for MeeGo?

Some recent, relevant commentary by Stskeeps here:
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=255

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by jebba View Post
Fair question. I will find the information and post it. In my ToDo.

In the meantime, you can check at http://meego.gitorious.org

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,055 | Thanked: 4,107 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Norway
Originally Posted by jebba View Post
Buteo (sync solution) sounds like one such component, recent talk implied that it was designed for Harmattan and is now being opened (code & development) for use with MeeGo.

[yes, technically it was never part of a Maemo release, but... point stands: releasing it closed and then opening it is a bit silly compared with opening it to start with]

See: http://meego.gitorious.org/meego-middleware

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to w00t For This Useful Post:
Posts: 355 | Thanked: 566 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Redstone Canyon, Colorado
We are still opening components and integrating them to MeeGo almost on a weekly basis.

Originally Posted by w00t View Post
(Buteo) yes, technically it was never part of a Maemo release, but... point stands: releasing it closed and then opening it is a bit silly compared with opening it to start with
Yes, so it doesn't really sound like something that was closed in Maemo that was opened for MeeGo then, no?

I'm curious about the things being opened and integrated on a "weekly" basis.

They are also keeping the battery closed for MeeGo. Totally lame.

The Following User Says Thank You to jebba For This Useful Post:
Posts: 52 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Reading, Berkshire, UK
As an end-user... will there be an official upgrade path from Maemo to Meego - or will Nokia backport some of the key components as an official update?

For one - I'd like to be able ot use Java web apps in the same way as I can on my netbook.

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by alcockell View Post
As an end-user... will there be an official upgrade path from Maemo to Meego - or will Nokia backport some of the key components as an official update?
No. However there'll be an unofficial upgrade path. It remains to be seen if it will be a realistic day-to-day option for most (or, indeed, any) users.

For one - I'd like to be able ot use Java web apps in the same way as I can on my netbook.
What makes you think that Harmattan, or - for that matter - MeeGo's Handset UX, will have a Java applet plugin in the browser? Certainly Nokia only view C++/Qt and WRT as the strategic, and supported, platforms.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Hey Guys,

can any one please share the release date of Meego 1.1 for Nokia n900 end users..

Regards

Sahil

Tags
harmattan, meego