Active Topics

Notices

Bugs (and urgently required but missing features) experienced so far (N900/maemo PR 1.2 without any CPU/clock/kernel modifications):
  • Random crashes to desktop (for no recognizable reason)
  • Entries from the contact list are not shown, when the contact name contains umlauts (or is it just the fact, that a lot of entries is missing anyway and only by chance also all tested umlaut-names are missing?)
  • SMM 10 does not start in portrait mode while the N900 is in vertical position; no way to correct the orientation other then removing the N900 from the car mount (particularly disappoint after a crash to desktop, because then I am driving and not allowed to pick up the phone due to road code)
  • User interface unsuitable for even slightly vision impaired people (white on light blue! I am not an eagle) -- problem has been with SMM 9 already and not corrected (eg. by providing an optional alternative user interface).
  • The speeds used for calculation of arrival time cannot be modified, ie. the calculated arrival time is always much too early.
  • Route calculation prefers motorways too heavily, so that even in mode "economic route" a route is recommended that is 12 km longer but just a minute or so faster than the shorter route (the route calculation has been suboptimal in SMM9 already).
In addition: N900 becomes much warmer than with SMM9, route calculation takes much much longer (without providing better routes).
By the way: I've never got a reply when writing to support@sygic.com.

Last edited by joh; 2010-08-17 at 00:58.

The Following User Says Thank You to joh For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by cardiff-blues View Post
Does anyone know how to stop the voice navigation stating "turn right" at exactly 0.6 miles away from the right turn, regardless of there being other right turns before that one?

And not some wise crack about turning the volume down

At the moment this 0.6 mile pre-warning is absolutely ridiculous. It is so distracting and annoying.
Hi,

can you please let us know where exactly this is happening? A to B and on which road. And ideally also before which intersection / right turn this is happening. This will help us investigate the issue.

Also, which instruction voice do you use?

Thank you.

Sygic Support.

Originally Posted by spanner View Post
Actually I just tried removing all directories except gbr (britain) from Maps and yet the stuttering was as bad as ever.

Also had pauses of up to 30 seconds and one crash-to-desktop during a 10 minute drive.

My respect for Sygic started very high but is diminishing with every day that they don't acknowledge this problem!
Hi,

actually, we are working on an update which will address energy consumption and app responsiveness.

Unfortunately we can not provide you with timing on when the update will be delivered to customers who have either online shop app version or Ovi Store app version.

Lots of people also voted at feedback.sygic.com for new product Aura to be launched for Maemo. This is planned now. But please understand that addressing both technical issues with Mobile Maps 10 update and Aura launch will result in extended delivery times for both.

We will do our best to provide you with an update as soon as we can.

Thank you.

Sygic Support.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SygicSupport For This Useful Post:
Posts: 253 | Thanked: 184 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Bristol, UK
Originally Posted by SygicSupport View Post
actually, we are working on an update which will address energy consumption and app responsiveness.
Great news, thanks. That was all I needed to hear.

Unfortunately we can not provide you with timing
If I'd just bought SMM10 for 70 euro, I'd be unhappy & impatient. But you guys gave me a free upgrade from SMM9, so I can wait .

Posts: 2,154 | Thanked: 2,186 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Hellsinki, Finland
In my humble opinion fixing already released CLEARLY broken / faulty product (crashes constantly) should be on top of their priority list instead of launching new product. You guys @ Sygic should think about people who have PAID REAL MONEY for the software which isn't usable at it's current state.

But hey, that's just me and my opinion.

80's style stadium rock is back - FIRENOTE
Hi-Octane heavy metal - FORCE MAJEURE

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to d-iivil For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by joh View Post
SMM 10 does not start in portrait mode while the N900 is in vertical position; no way to correct the orientation other then removing the N900 from the car mount (particularly disappoint after a crash to desktop, because then I am driving and not allowed to pick up the phone due to road code).
When you delete or rename the menu.ini file in Drive/Maemo some extra features pop up in the (settings) menus. One of them is screen orientation. You can set screen orientation to portrait. In that way it will start up in portrait mode right from the start.

Originally Posted by vonbraun66 View Post
When you delete or rename the menu.ini file in Drive/Maemo some extra features pop up in the (settings) menus. One of them is screen orientation. You can set screen orientation to portrait. In that way it will start up in portrait mode right from the start.
Thanks for noting. Meanwhile I had found this mod myself already – and it seemed to be no solution: A light blue bar between the task bar and the map and menu moved the map and menu to the left partly out of the screen. But testing again: Contrary to SMM 9 you can now turn the SMM screen so that the USB/power socket is at the bottom! (No idea whether this blue bar is still to the right, at least it is not between the task bar and the map/menu.) So this not only gives you the portrait screen always (no change back to landscape even you turn the N900) but also shortens the distance from the cigarette lighter to the N900 power socket.

Posts: 26 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Urmond, Netherlands
Worst of all. You can't revert back to MM9 because it cannot be activated. And using v10 maps in MM9 fails. This means we're stuck with a disfunctional product untill the update.

Last edited by gkosters; 2010-08-19 at 09:12.

The Following User Says Thank You to gkosters For This Useful Post:
Posts: 739 | Thanked: 220 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Surrey, UK
Hi,

can you please let us know where exactly this is happening? A to B and on which road. And ideally also before which intersection / right turn this is happening. This will help us investigate the issue.

Also, which instruction voice do you use?

Thank you.

Sygic Support.
Not sure why but am not getting email notifications of updates for this thread.

Anyhow, It happens everywhere I travel so can't give you a list of roads. It happened last week on holidays near Wales and it happens on the journey home and pretty much everywhere I travel. It happens at exactly 0.6 miles from a turn and just says, "Turn Right". Sorry I can't be more descriptive than that really.
There is a way that seems right to a man, but in the end it leads to death. Proverbs 14:12

The Following User Says Thank You to cardiff-blues For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,154 | Thanked: 2,186 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Hellsinki, Finland
Originally Posted by gkosters View Post
Worst of all. You can't revert back to MM9 because it cannot be activated. And using v10 maps in MM9 fails. This means we're stuck with an disfunctional product untill the update.
Yeah.. noticed that also.

Come on Sygic! Pusing new product on the markets before the previous is fixed is just pure cashing! And you guys come here and ADMIT that there will be delay for the fix because you are so busy on pusing new (propably unfinished) product on the market so you can get more income from customers. Too bad that propably the existing customers won't buy the "Aura" based on their experiences with SMM10... did you ever think that?

80's style stadium rock is back - FIRENOTE
Hi-Octane heavy metal - FORCE MAJEURE

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to d-iivil For This Useful Post: