Active Topics

Posts: 288 | Thanked: 196 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London
Originally Posted by maxximuscool View Post
1.NO
2.NO
3.Nokia will support meego but I have my doubt on its life span
4.Not anymore. I'm no longer a Nokia fan since after what Nokia has done to the N900 after 2monthss after the released date. Not enough good paid apps to use. And also not enough support from Nokia. So I'm bailing out from Nokia ship. But will be keeping the N900 as long as the community is alive!

Its such a SHAME, isn't it ?. So Nokia released the most advanced OS in Maemo but could not just polish it up a bit, fix basic bugs (audio stutter, phone UI freeze to name but a few) and add basic competitive features (potrait mode, MMS, working maps etc). At a time when iPhone OS was widely seen as constrained and Android struggling with teething issues, they had a chance to change the direction of the game and snatch back their crown but they fumbled it. No other phone could boast of the level of fidelity to a desktop computer that the N900 had nor its excellent messaging integration - skype et al. Yet they will not focus but rather ran to the fabled chip maker Intel for comfort. No confidence in themselves so why should I have it in them. Nokia is not dumb and did it get so far by being so hence my conclusion is that they are probably disillusioned. They seem to believe that the brand NOKIA word will cover all deficiences, not so; not in a world where a £99 budget Android phone by no less a a manufacturer than LG offers a better user experience than their flagship.

For me, I still like Nokia, I believe they have an admirable balance of benevolence and inventiveness. Sadly the latter has been gravely non existent of late. How in this world is google releasing major revisions of Android at a faster pace than Nokia releases patches?. I will make sure Nokia earn my loyalty by not buying any product of theirs until a change is made for the better. I will not mourn their demise should they fail to change their ways.

No more No-care/kia for me, for now and the near future - and I say this with regret

Originally Posted by bxbomber View Post
Either the other manfactures are really good at keeping the meego leaks or they are taking a wait and see approach with meego.
Your probably right considering you haven't seen the N9 either.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
Okay, as much as we're used to yell Nokia-abandonware, Qt had and still has a very strict policy about that.
Too bad that strict policy didn't include the just prior Maemo device.

See these platforms (note the S60 ones). Those platform are guaranteed to be supported in the next version, with a worst case deprecation in the release after that (so in the very worst case scenario, the very oldest S60 3rd FP1 can drop out in Qt 4.8, which would be around 2011Q4, 2012Q1). And that's 2007-8 hardware officially supported till 2012 as a WORST case scenario.
2012 isn't that far around the corner, 16 months.

Yes, that ship has already sailed. Diablo never was an official Qt platform, sadly (it didn't even get the 4.6 update yet). Now, the good part is that Qt (and QtMobility) are *fully* GPL, so there is absolutely nothing preventing anyone from backporting it to Diablo. Ditto for 4.7, 4.8, etc (this also applies to S60 should it one day lose official support).
Nobody will. We both know that.

Posts: 474 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Yes, that ship has already sailed. Diablo never was an official Qt platform, sadly (it didn't even get the 4.6 update yet). Now, the good part is that Qt (and QtMobility) are *fully* GPL, so there is absolutely nothing preventing anyone from backporting it to Diablo. Ditto for 4.7, 4.8, etc (this also applies to S60 should it one day lose official support).
When nobody backports a fully open library, you can be pretty sure that means there's not much, if any, demand for it anyway.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by jjx View Post
When nobody backports a fully open library, you can be pretty sure that means there's not much, if any, demand for it anyway.
I don't think nobody has ever wanted to buy a rapidly set aside piece of upgradeable equipment. The moniker "pocket computer" is becoming more of a misnomer.

The support not being there isn't dependent on demand; the N810 owners are friggin' starving for stuff. Nobody just has taken it upon themselves to do so.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Too bad that strict policy didn't include the just prior Maemo device.
That just prior Maemo device was released way before Nokia bought Qt.

2012 isn't that far around the corner, 16 months.
In a worst case scenario. Plus the time it takes for the stuff to actually get obsolete. I mean, we're talking about hardware that has been released around or before the original iPhone and well before G1 (which already lost all API compatibility support). Not to mention if the whole thing makes sense at all, I mean, that's software written for a dual/quad core A9 1.5-2GHz 1-2GB RAM device which you want to run on a trusty N95 or sorts, with nearly an order of magnitude less CPU grunt and memory.

Then it's our fault, not Nokia's. What's the point of Open software if you don't want to touch it ? It might just as well be a blob in that case. They effectively said 'look, Symbian 3rd ed sold in the hundreds of millions and can use the Ovi store, pre-N900 devices fail on both these counts, so it makes no commercial sense for us to backport new Qt releases, however, here are the sources, if you are interested, have a go at it'. This is actually how Maemo should have operated in the first place.

Posts: 474 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford, UK
I don't think nobody has ever wanted to buy a rapidly set aside piece of upgradeable equipment. The moniker "pocket computer" is becoming more of a misnomer.

The support not being there isn't dependent on demand; the N810 owners are friggin' starving for stuff. Nobody just has taken it upon themselves to do so.
(I sympathise; my housemate has an N810, and it sits on a shelf getting dusty and being useless. It doesn't even work properly any more; somehow everything on it runs stupidly slowly. Neither of us cares enough to reflash it.)

But in general, N810 owners are free to backport Qt if they care. It's probably not very hard, given Qt if fully GPL and runs on more modest devices. If nobody is bothering, then either they don't really care (despite what they say), or all the N810 owners with relevant skills don't care.

Here's an ecomomics 101 analogy: "Demand" is when people not only want something, but are willing to actually put something in to getting it (usually money, but not always). Merely wanting doesn't count as demand.

The Following User Says Thank You to jjx For This Useful Post:
Posts: 117 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ San Diego
Handsets, Nokia and LG are known so far, their list of "partners" is quite long, but unconfirmed on if they'll be handset developers. "Devices" included auto manufacturers like GM and BMW, there will be some auto industry usage. There's also been a few tablets shown, but I couldn't remember their names - mostly Chinese companies.
LG dropped/canceled their Meego phone...

Posts: 96 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ India
1.- Do you belive in Nokia?
Yes believed once but post the meego anouncement, that declined
2.- Do you belive in Meego?
I have my doubts on believing why meego would not go the maemo way
3.- Do you really think Nokia will be supporting Meego? or Meego will be the new forgotten Maemo?
Nokia support....Is there one?
4.- Does Nokia even matter anymore?
Not to me

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Nokia basically torpedoed any further maemo4 activity when they handed out free n900 to attendees of their dev conference. To bad they then torpedoed maemo5.

Tags
teenage, wasteland