Closed Thread
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by slaapliedje View Post
Besides, we all know Linux geeks don't have any friends or social skills, right?
I do have 4 jabber accounts though, so my roaster is full and i see myself going online multiple times when i switch on my laptop; that would count as 'friends', wouldn't it?

Posts: 137 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Drama, Greece
i did .............

I bought it a couple of months ago, from mobiles.co.uk for £250. Glad I didn't spend £500 too (sorry).

Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
Originally Posted by sony123 View Post
One way to guess N900 actual sale number is through Facebook.

Sharing photo to facebook through service used to be labeled as "from Facebook mobile". After the sharing plug-in got updated a month or two ago, it now shows "uploaded from Nokia N900." Clicking the link leads to the app page, and there the number of active monthly user is around 75k. (The native facebook app, Facebrick, only has 7k user but it's usefulness is quite limited in its current form so the 10:1 difference is understandable.)

In theory, many N900 users should be active Facebook users. Let's be generous and say only 30% N900 user share their photos on Facebook, meaning they are around 250k units being used. In any case, the sale is definitely below 1 million.
Yep. But this figure is only about PR 1.2, and it also has a great deal of assumptions.

You actually didn't assume that 30% of N900 owners are facebook users, but that 30% of the N900 owners are facebook owners and they regularly upload pictures and they do it with the facebook app. This is a pretty tough assumption. (I, for one, don't use facebook.)

Perhaps the Extras download number could give us a better estimate, but then again, not everyone uses Extras (I have -testing and -devel also enabled), and some people have more than one downloads from Extras.
Also, people still on PR 1.0 who don't have Extras enabled don't count in there.

Originally Posted by sony123 View Post
There are also a few stories about N900 sale number:
1) A couple of months ago Gartner claimed less than 100k N900 were sold in the first 5 months.
2) Nokia countered by saying it sold more than 100k in the first five week. (Of course not counting the units returned...)
3) Eldar repeatedly saying N900 sale number is disappointing, though who knows what his expectation is.....
4) N900 was launched in Asian region probably to boost sale number. But from what I heard the number of units sold are not much.
Add to that the fact that people from Nokia repeatedly say how a success the N900 was for them. Which means that it actually sold above their expectations.

Posts: 883 | Thanked: 980 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bern, Switzerland
Originally Posted by ndi View Post
ETA: I wonder if IMEI is sequential enough to get something from there. Isn't that by model?
I'd guess so. Anybody with a very new N900 from a large shop in here? Please check your IMEI and tell us the result - but NOT in detail! (We don't want to know YOUR exact IMEI :-)

- Ignore the first eight numbers
- Ignore the last number (checksum)
- Round the remaining number to the next 1000

Gives me 56000 for mine.

"the idea of truly having a computer in your pocket just moved a big step closer."

I think the assumptio with 30% on facebook is a good guess. but just an opinion.

Posts: 739 | Thanked: 220 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Surrey, UK
I am the only one who has one in the world. This forum is fictitious and messages are posted by Nokia employees in an attempt to delude me into thinking that there are other N900s out in the wild.

I have never seen one though so there can't be any out there can there? Although I once saw a dummy in a mobile store in Surrey a few weeks back.
There is a way that seems right to a man, but in the end it leads to death. Proverbs 14:12

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cardiff-blues For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
Originally Posted by cardiff-blues View Post
I am the only one who has one in the world. This forum is fictitious and messages are posted by Nokia employees in an attempt to delude me into thinking that there are other N900s out in the wild.

I have never seen one though so there can't be any out there can there? Although I once saw a dummy in a mobile store in Surrey a few weeks back.
Haha!
What a ridiculous attempt!

I _know_ that I own the only one... and your message is also part of the delusion!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Venemo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,141 | Thanked: 781 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Magical Unicorn Land
Clearly, mine is the only one. Get out of my head!

The Following User Says Thank You to stlpaul For This Useful Post:
Posts: 238 | Thanked: 291 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ London, UK
I had purchased 5 phones in the month of Febuary, earlier this year. One phone personal for myself and, 4 others for corporate.

Corporate Phones were given to,

Oracle Apps DBA
Application Manager
Cheif Information Officer
Cheif Executive Officer

Overall, the Officer Level Users are Bored to death with this phone. I dont blame them, why would they love this when they arent the curious types wanting to unleash its potential? I mean, they want something simple, straight forward and this phone isnt like the old N95 aged stuff anymore. All they say is, its confusing, this screen emails and calendar, this screen for calling blah blah, ranting and crying over it.

The DBA and Application Manager and Me Inclusive, we loved this phone.
My Application manager put aside his iphone 3g back into the box and gave it to his wife and says that he will never again go to the Apple's Side, says he has lost track of technology and the beauty of Open Source. I Agree with Him 100%.

My DBA, who works on Linux Systems housing the corporate's Oracle Databases, stated to me that he never thought that Nokia would do something for the Technical Groupies. He used to use Sony Ericsson which is now unseen in the office again.
As for me, There is nothing this phone isnt capable of. Personally, I believe, the phone OS is still very RAW and needs time to Mature. The moment it does, (And if there wont be another Open Source Phone by then), the N900 has a very bright future amongst the tech oriented people.

Last edited by fareed_xtreme; 2010-08-20 at 19:26.

The Following User Says Thank You to fareed_xtreme For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread