Active Topics

Posts: 119 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Brasilia, Brazil
I tried to search for this first, but there was nothing on the forum (I tried digging for it manually as best as I could too, because the search results were a little weird, but still got nothing).

I just bought an N900 (will get it next week) and currently own an iPhone 3GS. Before all the alarms go off, I'd like to say first and foremost that I am NOT an Apple fanboy or anything. I have nothing against them, they do make good products, but I have always been a Nokia fan and am actually really excited to get my N900 going. In fact the iPhone broke a long line of Nokia Smartphones I owned before it, E62, E61, E61i, E71).

I should also say that I also own an N800 (which is now pretty much abandoned since most of the things I needed it for were aptly covered by the 3GS and the N800's screen also started not working properly), so I am not a complete newbie with no idea what he's doing around Maemo.

Sorry for the introduction, but I felt it was necessary. My question is simple: is there any sort of migration topic for people who are migrating from iOS or other OSs? Has anybody else here in the forum migrated from iOS or Android to Maemo? If so, have there been any major difficulties? Did contact migration work fine from Outlook? How did you guys manage to migrate your music library? What was the overall feeling of comfort? What was the learning curve like? What should I know beforehand?

(Before any RTFM responses, I already took a look at a good part of the wiki and at www.allaboutmeego.com, and, despite the fact that the videos are heltpful, they don't go into individual-user experiences, which is what I'm aiming at here).

Thanks in advance,

Bobbe

Posts: 1,716 | Thanked: 3,007 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by Bobbe View Post
My question is simple: is there any sort of migration topic for people who are migrating from iOS or other OSs? Has anybody else here in the forum migrated from iOS or Android to Maemo? If so, have there been any major difficulties? Did contact migration work fine from Outlook? How did you guys manage to migrate your music library? What was the overall feeling of comfort? What was the learning curve like? What should I know beforehand?
I migrated from HTC Touch HD (Windows Mobile).

Adres Book - through Windows Outlook. First synchronized from HTC, then synchronized to N900. PITA but bearable.

Music library - Just plugged both devices to PC in mass storage mode and copied MP3s over. Quick and easy.
Likewise for photos and other documents.

Maemo is so easy to use, that you will not have problems.
One thing to know - you close all dialogs etc. just clicking outside them - on the blurred area of layer below. Same for the application launcher - if you want to go back just click on the area without any application icon (this gives most problems to new users).

The Following User Says Thank You to smoku For This Useful Post:
Posts: 89 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Macon, GA | Warsaw, PL | Hanoi, VN
I migrated from iPhone 2G:

Contacts: I have a Mac, so all I had to do was to go to Nokia's website, download iSync plugin, set up my N900 in iSync and let it do the rest.

Media: I downloaded the Nokia Multimedia Transfer. It let's me sync music between my iTunes library and my N900. I can choose which playlists I want transferred, just like I would using the iPhone with iTunes.

Of course I got my N900 back in November, so things were a little more complicated then. But overall, as far as contacts and media go, syncing N900 is as easy as syncing iPhone.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dinho For This Useful Post:
Posts: 119 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Brasilia, Brazil
Awesome tips guys, thanks!

Dinho, will take a look at iSync (I have a Mac too). Also didn't know they made a version of Multimedia transfer for Mac OS.

Smoku, about the clicking-in-the-blurry-area-to-leave-dialog thing, I thought so. Saw the review at (barf) Engadget and the guy kinda got confused by it, but it seemed to me to be
pretty intuitive. He got all confused about going back to the home screen once he was in the list of apps. Is the way he found to do it (using the power button) the only way possible? There is no blurry area in the app list, but I got the feeling there was another way to go back to the Home screen he couldn't figure out.

Anyway, thanks again!

Posts: 1,716 | Thanked: 3,007 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Warsaw, Poland
There is a blurry area without icons at the top of the list and at the bottom.
But it is not marked anyhow, so it's hard to find it. And it's pretty small (about 0.5 cm) at the top.