Active Topics

Posts: 243 | Thanked: 146 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Knowhere
Originally Posted by TiagoTiago View Post
There isn't a program to generate a log of what is using up the diskspace so people can take a look and point out to me what to do? I don't wanna have to install everything again.....
At the bottom of the page linked to by thp there is a python script that "outputs a list of all packages in rootfs and their size therein." you might like to try that.

I ended up flashing my n900 the other week as I was in a similar situation after experimenting with Nitdroid - after I'd flashed I worked out that I had probably input a command incorrectly and created a very large directory somewhere it shouldn't be.

http://wiki.maemo.org/Frequently_asked_questions
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_N900
http://wiki.maemo.org/N900

Posts: 1,522 | Thanked: 392 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ São Paulo, Brazil
ok,, thanx, here we go: http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=GsyxtFJQ

Posts: 519 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ North Carolina (Formerly Denmark and Iceland)
Originally Posted by TiagoTiago View Post
ok,, thanx, here we go: http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=GsyxtFJQ
I am counting 163 apps, I recognize, installed by you on your phone. All necessities?

Some of them point to you being female, others point to you having different plumbing. Some of them are obsolete by now, some of them not so useful.

As you've only had the device since last week I suggest you try out the over 163 apps you've installed and see which ones you like and then discard the ones you don't before putting in more.

As said you can overload a N900.

Posts: 278 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Norwich, UK
Initially, you seem to have many of the cheesy Ovi freeware stuff installed (particularly all of the Offscreen software) - If I recall correctly, a lot of the original stuff that's been kicking about in Ovi since release is not optified.

Other than that, you also have a lot of other stuff I really wonder if you actually seriously need (you seem to have literally every game in extras, along with practically every other non-game app).
For example, you have all the original facebook/foreca installers etc, n900fly (have you ever, really, actually, used this?), Petrovich (essentially pointless after pr1.2) and countless duplications of same-functionality apps (AppDownloader and Fapman, Batterygraph and Battery-eye, several mapping suites, etc etc).
Basically the list is near endless, you seem to have essentially just installed every possible package available for the n900 regardless of functionality.
Try being more selective and realistic with what you install.

Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
Storage usage is the way to go. It has a scan package feature letting you know what is optified and was isn't and what takes up space. Use it with care and wiki.

You installed something odd, old, or have remains. I have lots of stuff and rootfs barely feels it, at over 50M free.

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

Posts: 287 | Thanked: 127 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Sweden
If you uninstall frozen-bubble and VLC you'll get at least 15MB of free rootfs space. Plus the suggestions above, of course.

Posts: 288 | Thanked: 196 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London
I have only 1.36GB available but I've not experienced any noticeablw degradation in performance. I cannot say that for other devices I've had (looking at you IPod touch). I am very impressed with the N900 in this regard.

Posts: 1,522 | Thanked: 392 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ São Paulo, Brazil
hm, i thought i had uninstalled BatteryEye...

I installed MaeGirls to see if i could predict in which dsys my mom would get pissed off too easilly (no statisticly significant results pointing to yes nor to no), are there any other apps that you would consider to be targeted mostly for girls?

Could you list all the obsolete stuff and what is making it obsolere please?

Each time i review my list of installed apps i have to be stricter and stricter about what i won't install, kinda annoying to have to be serious about what i put on my device...

Would there be any problems if i symlinked the stuff (including executables) to MyDocs? May i ask you to list what stuff i can safelly symlink?

About N900Fly, i've only tossed it above my bed, and even then didn't had the guts to throw it far from my hand at all, i installed it more to test how hard it is to trick it into thinking the device has been thrown when it actually haven't.

install this: http://maemo.org/downloads/product/Maemo5/diskusage
in x-term, use:
sudo apt-get install diskusage

Posts: 156 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Los Angeles, CA
1.) Do you have WinSCP installed, if so you could go into your phone, go into the root directory (root) and see if you have any files you don't need:

There are obvious systems files, that you wouldn't want to delete.
Then there might be obvious personal files, that you might have stored there on accident such as pictures,music,maybe an installer file or something that you could property identify

2.) Other than that, it could be some applications that aren't optified, but generally you could probably install almost limitless amount of applications if they are optified.

I'm pretty sure the first solutions should be the practical fix since, I don't see how you could use so much rootfs space. I used to have ~68, now I have 63 after installing android, I haven't seen 40 since pr1.1. I hope this helps

Last edited by RogerTHAcctant; 2010-08-23 at 03:19.