Notices

[QOUTE]
The backend does start normally though (via terminal run "sudo mobilehotspot_backend start" to see output) ? Does your N82 get IP address from the DHCP server on N900 (I have no idea how to check on that device so you're on your own with that), what happens if you set the IP manually (see earlier in this thread for details about that) ? Does it work with a laptop ? Does N82 have some sort if ping utility, can you ping the N900 ?[/QUOTE]

First of all thanks for the reply.

I have started Mobile Hotspot on the backend and it starts up but i have no idea on how to read all the processes going on. I have also tried the connection on my laptop and it does connect but stops at "identifying" and never actually connects.

I would post my xterminal results when I start it from the backend if I knew how...

Posts: 702 | Thanked: 334 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel.
Hey there rambo,

I'd like to ask a few questions about mobile hotspot :
1. Is it possible to get some logs / counter about actions being performed in the area of "DHCP Requests, Leases, Wireless peers connected, etc"
2. Can this information be viewed in a file?
3. Can it be added to mobile hotspot?

Why?
Lets say I connect some device via wifi, and something goes bad with DHCP, I'd like to be able to check why this is happening.

Cheers mate,
Eitam.
| DonateMe - If you feel I helped you in a very good way, feel free to donate |

Originally Posted by eitama View Post
I'd like to ask a few questions about mobile hotspot :
1. Is it possible to get some logs / counter about actions being performed in the area of "DHCP Requests, Leases, Wireless peers connected, etc"
2. Can this information be viewed in a file?
3. Can it be added to mobile hotspot?
DHCP leases etc I think not, at least without swithing from dnsmasq to full dhcpd.

Wireless peers and (per interface) data counters should be possible as is.

Packet capture (to see DHCP requests [in case dhcpds logging is not enough]) would be possible but is kinda overkill to support in mobilehotspot itself, if you need it you know how to do it from the terminal.

So the information is sort-of available but it's spread around. List of wireless peers is the only thing I'm at the moment planning on adding to the frontend at some point.

Originally Posted by phase315 View Post
I have started Mobile Hotspot on the backend and it starts up but i have no idea on how to read all the processes going on.
Are you using encryption (if so try disabling that first) ? once you post the output I (or someone else) can explain what the lines mean.

I have also tried the connection on my laptop and it does connect but stops at "identifying" and never actually connects.
What OS and version ? Once you post the hotspot backend output and we know the IP your N900 gets you need to try with manual IP configuration.

I would post my xterminal results when I start it from the backend if I knew how...
There should be a "cursor" icon next to the ctrl, tab etc (if not try swithinc to/from fullscreen), activate it and paint everything, now in the top menu there is option to copy.

Remember to change your encryption password (if you're using encryption) before doing this, otherwise anyone reading this thread can see it.

Posts: 702 | Thanked: 334 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel.
Originally Posted by rambo View Post
DHCP leases etc I think not, at least without swithing from dnsmasq to full dhcpd.

Packet capture (to see DHCP requests [in case dhcpds logging is not enough]) would be possible but is kinda overkill to support in mobilehotspot itself, if you need it you know how to do it from the terminal.

So the information is sort-of available but it's spread around. List of wireless peers is the only thing I'm at the moment planning on adding to the frontend at some point.
Hey mate, thanks for the answers.
I do get multiple times where I try to connect my N95 to the N900 via wifi, and there is no internet, most of the time I have to reboot the N900 for it to start working properly, this is the main reason i'd like to see for example a log where it will indicate a DHCP request arrived, and ip x.y.z.c has been given, Now I can open the terminal and try and ping my N95, or oven open a tcp session to it.

Is switching to dhcpd possible? is it installed by default / installable on n900?
Can you give me some directions?
Will mobilehotspot work with dhcpd in the backend?

Cheers!
| DonateMe - If you feel I helped you in a very good way, feel free to donate |

Packet capture (to see DHCP requests [in case dhcpds logging is not enough])

Are you using encryption (if so try disabling that first) ? once you post the output I (or someone else) can explain what the lines mean.

What OS and version ? Once you post the hotspot backend output and we know the IP your N900 gets you need to try with manual IP configuration.

There should be a "cursor" icon next to the ctrl, tab etc (if not try swithinc to/from fullscreen), activate it and paint everything, now in the top menu there is option to copy.

Remember to change your encryption password (if you're using encryption) before doing this, otherwise anyone reading this thread can see it.
I am using windows vista 32 bit. this is my xterminal log without anything connected and no encryption:

/home/user # mobilehotspot_backend start
DEBUG: executing uname -r
DEBUG: executing lsmod
DEBUG: executing insmod /lib/modules/2.6.28.10power37/nf_conntrack.ko
DEBUG: executing insmod /lib/modules/2.6.28.10power37/nf_defrag_ipv4.ko
DEBUG: executing insmod /lib/modules/2.6.28.10power37/nf_conntrack_ipv4.ko
DEBUG: executing insmod /lib/modules/2.6.28.10power37/x_tables.ko
DEBUG: executing insmod /lib/modules/2.6.28.10power37/ip_tables.ko
DEBUG: executing insmod /lib/modules/2.6.28.10power37/nf_nat.ko
DEBUG: executing insmod /lib/modules/2.6.28.10power37/iptable_nat.ko
DEBUG: executing insmod /lib/modules/2.6.28.10power37/ipt_MASQUERADE.ko
ERROR:dbus.proxies:Introspect error on :1.81:/com/nokia/icd2: dbus.exceptions.DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NotSupported: Unsupported interface or method
icd2_state_listener got args:

(dbus.String(u''), dbus.UInt32(0L), dbus.String(u''), dbus.String(u'GPRS'), dbus.UInt32(83886080L), dbus.ByteArray('e501ef50-b363-447f-a73b-9c2e29046238\x00'), dbus.String(u''), dbus.UInt32(2L))
state['icd']:

{'old_connection_type': 'GPRS', 'old_connection_name': 'e501ef50-b363-447f-a73b-9c2e29046238'}
DEBUG: executing ifconfig wlan0 down
DEBUG: executing iwconfig wlan0 mode ad-hoc
DEBUG: executing ifconfig wlan0 up
DEBUG: executing iwconfig wlan0 essid "MobileHotSpot"
DEBUG: executing ifconfig wlan0 10.179.203.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
DEBUG: executing /usr/sbin/dnsmasq -i wlan0 -a 10.179.203.1 -I lo -z -x /var/run/dnsmasq.wlan0.pid --dhcp-range=10.179.203.10,10.179.203.100,6h --dhcp-option=3,10.179.203.1 --dhcp-option=6,10.179.203.1
DEBUG: executing iptables --flush
DEBUG: executing iptables --flush -t nat
DEBUG: executing iptables -P FORWARD ACCEPT
DEBUG: executing iptables -P INPUT ACCEPT
DEBUG: executing iptables -P OUTPUT ACCEPT
DEBUG: executing iptables --table nat --append POSTROUTING --out-interface gprs0 -j MASQUERADE
/home/user #

if you need one with a laptop connected i will post another log but i already spotted an error...

ERROR:dbus.proxies:Introspect error on :1.81:/com/nokia/icd2: dbus.exceptions.DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NotSupported: Unsupported interface or method

if you need one with a laptop connected i will post another log but i already spotted an error...
That is not an error that troubles the hotspot (this always heppens the problem is that icd DBUS api lacks introspection support [which sucks in many ways but does not prevent the API from being used]).

DEBUG: executing /usr/sbin/dnsmasq -i wlan0 -a 10.179.203.1 -I lo -z -x /var/run/dnsmasq.wlan0.pid --dhcp-range=10.179.203.10,10.179.203.100,6h --dhcp-option=3,10.179.203.1 --dhcp-option=6,10.179.203.1
This is the important line, here you see the IP N900 uses (10.179.203.1 in your case) and the IPs it should hand out via DHCP 10.179.203.10-10.179.203.100 to setup IP manually set N900 as gateway and DNS server and choose ip with last number between 2-9 or 101-254.

This is the important line, here you see the IP N900 uses (10.179.203.1 in your case) and the IPs it should hand out via DHCP 10.179.203.10-10.179.203.100 to setup IP manually set N900 as gateway and DNS server and choose ip with last number between 2-9 or 101-254.
Sorry for asking so many questions, but how do I manually set my N900 gateway and DNS server? I dont know too much about linux or maemo..

thanks for your patience with me so far...

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
Can't this thing works without Kernel Power?

Originally Posted by maxximuscool View Post
Can't this thing works without Kernel Power?
Short version: no.

Long version: It requires netfilter support from kernel which the stock kernel does not have. If you compile your own kernel then you can use that (see the project homepage for some instructions [they're bit old, I stopped compiling mobilehotspot specific kernels when titan added netfilter to kernel-power]).

Sorry for asking so many questions, but how do I manually set my N900 gateway and DNS server? I dont know too much about linux or maemo..
This depends on the client device, unfortunately I haven't ever used windows newer than XP (and that I only use very occasionally for gaming or testing with windows only software) so I can't write step-by-step instructions. Basic idea is that somewhere is a place where you configure network connections, there switch from DHCP to "Manual" and as the router/gateway and DNS server address use the N900 IP (as seen in the output of the backend script) then as the client address you any address in the range (except .1 which is the N900).

Does anyone else know how to switch from DHCP to "manual" and how to set the DNS server address? I dont want to start a new thread and clutter the forums. Please feel free to chime in if you have any idea.