Notices

Posts: 44 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Freiburg, Germany
Hi gamers,

I ported the abstract arcade shooter noiz2sa. You may install it from extras-devel (you have been warned...)

I would like to get feedback about the controls: I implemented a simple accelerometer (ship movement) and proximity-sensor (shoot) input and game-gripper compatible keyboard controls (I hope so). The package description lists all keys.

The game itself is unchanged. I have seen that the most difficult stages run on a low frame-rate because of the many objects shown on screen.

Have fun,

gilead
Attached Images

Last edited by gilead; 2010-08-21 at 15:13. Reason: Added screenshot (game menu)

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to gilead For This Useful Post:
Posts: 267 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Campinas, SP, Brazil
A screenshot would be nice!

Posts: 161 | Thanked: 43 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Worcester
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBvQlEz0-Ec

A control method like the link above would be ideal if it plays in portrait mode. In any case I shall download tonight and give it a go.

Thanks for the effort chap, we need stylish games like this......I like eyecandy.

Originally Posted by devensega View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBvQlEz0-Ec

A control method like the link above would be ideal if it plays in portrait mode. In any case I shall download tonight and give it a go.

Thanks for the effort chap, we need stylish games like this......I like eyecandy.
I was also thinking about adding tap-control to the game menu. Would be not that hard, so maybe I will add it in future. But the way the game is controlled in the stages should not be tapping. As player you will not see much more than your thumb (or other finger). The the accelerometer - I like it that way and would enjoy to hear your respond.

gilead

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gilead For This Useful Post:
This is a superb port mate, played it a bit today and I can say the GameGripper/keyboard controls are my favoured way to play this.

While the accelerometer controls are good they lack the bit of precision you need during bullet hell.

Originally Posted by devensega View Post
This is a superb port mate, played it a bit today and I can say the GameGripper/keyboard controls are my favoured way to play this.

While the accelerometer controls are good they lack the bit of precision you need during bullet hell.
Do you believe it would help to make the accelerometer react on smaller moves of the phone?

What do you think about the "auto-calibrate" feature (the position of the phone when you start the software will be used as the "zero" position. Relative movements from that position controls the menu-cursor and ship movement)?

gilead

Ok, I played a few rounds using the accelerometer and its actually rather good.

However I cant say I noticed that the auto calibrate function was effective. I booted the game a number of times holding it at different angles and I could only properly control the ship (dot, curser, blinky thing) when loading the game in the standard 45 (I think) degree angle.

Last edited by devensega; 2010-08-22 at 21:05. Reason: typo

One of the shmup's finally on the N900, thank you so much! How much work was it to get it run with OpenGL ES?

Originally Posted by slux View Post
One of the shmup's finally on the N900, thank you so much! How much work was it to get it run with OpenGL ES?
Zero.

I downloaded ubuntu source package. Build debian package, copied to N900 and yeah, it ran. Ok, no sound because the music files are ogg and N900's SDL does not support ogg. So I compiled an SDL_mixer with ogg support as linker library and got sound.

Next step was to fiddle a little bit with user control (adding accelerometer and proximity support, changing keys to support Game Gripper). Last but not least a few adaptions to debian package structure for better N900 support (icon, menu, optifiy etc) and that's it.

All in all not more then 10 hours work including testing. Of course it is not perfect yet (e.g. would be nice to have touch screen support in main menu or adapt screen size to N900's geometry) but it works good enough to have some fun.

Regards, gilead

Ah, I guess I've mistakenly assumed all the Kenta Cho shmups need OpenGL because rrootage does. Doesn't seem like this depends on it at all. I wonder if any others that have Linux ports don't have that dependency.

<edit>
Seems like they all do, there's at least this version of rrootage's sources for the GP2X modified to run on the GP2X's OpenGL ES hardware though. (with reduced effects compared to original)
</edit>

Last edited by slux; 2010-08-24 at 11:33.