Active Topics

Originally Posted by TheTree View Post
That reminds me of an article I read about how Americans insist on paying more for their cell phone plans. Basically it's apparently preferable to pay a constant $40 per month for 400 minutes (of which they use, say 200), than to pay $30 month 1, $41 month 2, $28 month 3, etc.

Economists are quite confused.
The thing about the American market is that expensive phones become relatively cheaper compared with cheap phones, and people have their phones longer. This is good because it drives development of high end devices and software, but ultimately bad for 90% of the users who don't care, they just want a cheap but good phone. In effect high end devices are subsidized by low end devices.

In Europe there is a much faster turn-around of phones, typically 1 year. This will drive hardware development at a faster rate, and will also enable manufacturers to produce cheaper phones (price per unit) because they produce much more units.

The one who will succeed in both "worlds" is Google. Android now runs equally well on 1€ (150-200€ total per year) devices in Europe (Samsung, SE), as it does on "high end" devices.

So, the point is that as of summer 2010, there is no such thing as high end device. Android, SE and Samsung has totally changed the face of the mobile marked. There is nothing you can do with a €400-500 device that you can't do with a €1 (150€) device. This has happened literally within the months of June and July. How Nokia (or anyone not running Android) is going to compete with this, is becoming an increasingly larger mystery as HW and production facilities of cheap Android devices is continuously optimized. Nokia better start getting those Symbian^3/4 devices out, or they will die. The next who will loose most of its market share, at least outside US, is Apple and RIM.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bsving For This Useful Post:
Posts: 24 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Oakbrook, IL (West of Chi-Town!)
What is Nokia's issue with putting Android on, at least, some of there phones? We see it can run on the N900 via the Open Source World finding a way, so why not? Nokia makes some of the best hardware, in my opinion. I went back to the N900 from an HTC Incredible just because of the open source, and the build of the phone is just so much better! The Incredible can do many cool things with Android 2.1 and soon 2.2, BUT the phone just feels like a cheap hung of junk to me. I bought a extended life battery, (HTC OEM MIND YOU!) the back cover didn't fit right and the batter didn't last any longer then the stock one. I returned it the next day. So I really believe that if Nokia can't beat Android or iOS with Symbian or MeeGo, then they are going to start putting Android on there devices. Thoughts?

Originally Posted by Gorilla72 View Post
What is Nokia's issue with putting Android on, at least, some of there phones? We see it can run on the N900 via the Open Source World finding a way, so why not? Nokia makes some of the best hardware, in my opinion. I went back to the N900 from an HTC Incredible just because of the open source, and the build of the phone is just so much better! The Incredible can do many cool things with Android 2.1 and soon 2.2, BUT the phone just feels like a cheap hung of junk to me. I bought a extended life battery, (HTC OEM MIND YOU!) the back cover didn't fit right and the batter didn't last any longer then the stock one. I returned it the next day. So I really believe that if Nokia can't beat Android or iOS with Symbian or MeeGo, then they are going to start putting Android on there devices. Thoughts?
To be honest, I think Nokia is doing the right thing. When the production of Nokia Symbian^3/4 devices starts milling, it is equally hard to understand how devices running Java UI on a Linux kernel produced by Google can compete with the sleekness and lower demand (HW vise) of in-house Symbian/Qt in the long run.

But time is running. The masses wants lazer swords, buzzers, compasses (and all the other useless junk), and Android with SE and Samsung is delivering it, literally for free. HTC, with a few notable exception, just is not up to it hardware vise. HTC seem to be incapable of producing cheap, but high quality devices. SE and Samsung rules in this respect, and Huawei is coming along, slowly but still. Nokia still does not have anything even remotely close to SE and Samsung. They need to get lazer swords and buzzers out there to the masses.

Posts: 337 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ NYC
... So I really believe that if Nokia can't beat Android or iOS with Symbian or MeeGo, then they are going to start putting Android on there devices. Thoughts?
This has been discussed a hundred times before. Nokia will not put their future in the hands of Google for the same reason as Apple would not abandon iOS for Android (yes, please go to some Apple forum and suggest that to see what replies you get

There is no reason why Android should be any better than Maemo/MeeGo, and more knowledgeable people here will tell you why the opposite is true. The bottomline is that we all benefit from the competition. Android will grow strong -- unless the Oracle lawsuit succeeds -- and hopefully so will MeeGo. Sit back and enjoy!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sopwith For This Useful Post:
Posts: 741 | Thanked: 900 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Auckland NZ
What is Nokia's issue with putting Android on, at least, some of there phones?
Nokia would be losing out on advertising and app revenue that currently brings Google around $10 per device sold. Once you sell 100million phones it start looking like serious cash.

Posts: 24 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Oakbrook, IL (West of Chi-Town!)
I just hope your all correct. And yes, the more that is out there, the better the competition, the more we get cooler OS's/Phones to play with. I have owned everything, Android phones, Many Nokia's, iPad, so I have pretty much been using all the popular Opperating Systems right now. I find positives and negatives in all of them. So I guess the solution is to own a device for each OS? lol. Soon as I get my Sim transfered going to love doing some tethering with the N900 to my iPad.

Posts: 307 | Thanked: 157 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Illinois, USA
Originally Posted by bsving View Post
... it is equally hard to understand how devices running Java UI on a Linux kernel produced by Google can compete with the sleekness and lower demand (HW vise) of in-house Symbian/Qt in the long run.
Android will win handily because the world is fed up with Symbian and all its crappiness. New version or not, they aren't doing anywhere near enough to change Symbian into a competitive product for the modern market.