Posts: 857 | Thanked: 362 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ London
Its not only the n900, the palm pre users have been messed about as well.

But unless there's a specific MeeGo version, i.e Flash 10+ will be upgradeable as a separate entity from the O/S as a plug-in, we're still at the whim of Nokia to release timely updates, or support MeeGo for more than 8 months.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
It is separately updateable since forever. It's just that there is nothing to upgrade to, Maemo, MeeGo, generic ARM, you name it.

FWIW Flash 10+ for MeeGo is not done by neither Adobe nor Nokia, but by a 3rd party (Movial).

Last edited by attila77; 2010-08-25 at 12:15.

I have a question. If I install say ubuntu natively onto the n900, will flash 10.1 work okay? Can it even be installed?

Originally Posted by andyph666 View Post
I have a question. If I install say ubuntu natively onto the n900, will flash 10.1 work okay? Can it even be installed?
The Android port is currently the only 10.1 version available for devices with ARM cpus.

The Following User Says Thank You to SD. For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
Yes, in other words, Nokia in effect will be blackmailing us to move to MeeGo for our N900s to stay relevant.
Why would you characterise it as that?
You make it sound as though meego's going to be hideous compared to maemo.

Have you used both extensively yet? (no one except for core devs can really say they have)
By all accounts meego's going to have all the great characteristics of maemo + some extra stuff.

Last edited by jalyst; 2010-08-30 at 06:01.

Posts: 579 | Thanked: 471 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Austria
Originally Posted by nephridium View Post
I've asked it before, in another thread, but didn't get a real answer so I'll ask again here:

Could someone give me a list of flash websites that actually *require* flash 10 to run (as in not working after setting Flash version to 10 using this tool: http://www.nokian900applications.com...or-nokia-n900/ )?

The only app I know of that I can't use on my N900 is street view, and I can live with that. So I don't get what all the fuzz is about. (On the contrary I'm actually positively surprised as to how stable flash runs on the N900.) Can someone enlighten me?
As I noted just a few posts earlier, google street view is fully functional on the N900 with maemaps.

Just tried the maemaps on N900, I think it still need to do more improvements before it can be compared with google map applications on android or IPhone.....

Posts: 579 | Thanked: 471 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Austria
Originally Posted by cmsjkung View Post
Just tried the maemaps on N900, I think it still need to do more improvements before it can be compared with google map applications on android or IPhone.....
It's just a web application, but I find it infinitely better than google maps on microB. And streetview works exactly as it should once you entered it. So flash 10 seems only required for the interface between standard google map and streetview.

Posts: 431 | Thanked: 239 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
Despite of discussion going on here I finally bought some SD card and installed NITDroid to check flash 10.1 on N900.

Whole installation process was very smooth with new dj_steve toys . Thanks for that guys!

As soon as I could I've hit my testing flash builds. I was in shock.
Flash 10.1 on NITDroid not GPU drivers as we know, half ported on device that wasn't intent to have Android at all, with some bottlenecks gave me this result.

50000 iterations drawing some boring squares

NITDroid / N900 /All overkills
using old drawing API (FLASH 9) 370ms
using (flash 10+) drawing API 17ms

my old good PC AMD 3200+ 2GB RAM basic GPU
using old drawing API (FLASH 9) 130ms
using (flash 10+) drawing API 17ms

Give me only one reason why as Flash developer should keep developing in flash 9 especially for mobile web based apps. Then I will give you around 50 why I should. And all will be for good for customer.

Transition in Flash development will take a while but its required both. Technology / hardware support, and content needs to be updated.
It will not happen one magic day but for sure will happen. Every single production taking place considering mobile market since access to Android market is lucrative opportunity that cannot be missed.

Lack of Flash 10.1 on Maemo is huge drawback for Nokia. They just missed big point and potential. Doesn't matter what you think about flash or all crappy pseudo devs that working on bad flash reputation 24/7. Even they can succeeds because at the end of the day the right moment is important. To get content that everyone is talking about. Even if you are not enjoying it at least you have seen it. That's what is matter in today's world.

"I wont here and now."

Another one thing is Flash dev community is big, sharing a lot of stuff in Open Source manner. It is potential group of ppl that can provide tones of apps even you are ignorant to flash and don;t know to many or just don't need it. Trust me with AIR on n900 I would be able to reproduce most of existing apps in AS3, much quicker, looks nicer and in some cases will be faster and less processor hog like sometimes unfortunately happening here.

Big thanks to you dj_steve once again for NITDROID port. it is not ideal but just for Flash development purposes good enough to at least check how it works and feels on it. Shame ... since Memo OS is much better and polished OS IMHO. Flash 10.1 and AIR could make it complete for many ppl here I believe.

I am keep running some performance tests and thinking about abandon flaemo flash 9 support because it requires 2x more time and effort to keep all this compatibility issues on track. And still the last question remains. Is it worth it? Flash 9 content It's a way to slow. People here seems to be happy with Flash 9 basically don't need anything more from flash or just don't using it at all. Those who wont more and keep up with current version will find the other way anyway...

If somebody here is interesting in flash development for mobile devices and need some help or want to help please drop me an email.

All the best folks

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to devu For This Useful Post:

Tags
adobe, adobe flash, blahblah, flash, flash 10, flash 10.1, fremantle, future, idiotic thread, maemo, maemo 5, nokia, nokia fails, update