Posts: 282 | Thanked: 337 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Austin, TX, USA
Ultimately it doesn't matter what you choose because they all do the same jobs overall, they all have unique strengths and weaknesses, and no matter which one you choose you will probably end up switching a few times anyway. I have used installed and used Slackware, Ubuntu, Gentoo, and OpenSUSE over the years (and tested several others via VM's and boot disks). I am back to using Ubuntu now, and I have stuck with it for a year or two this time.

The great thing about Ubuntu (especially for noobs) is that there is a TON of information out there on the web. You can find solutions to problems with nearly any distro through google, but Ubuntu just has a kazillion sites out there with users posting solutions to problems. If you want to get started learning the ins and outs of linux, then install ubuntu and try to do your daily work with it. Switch to opensuse in a few months if the bug strikes you. Once you get comfortable with the system, install some VM software (I like virtualbox if you don't plan to leave the VM's running as unattended servers) and play with other distros.

Whatever you do, just jump in the pool and start swimming or you will never even get wet.

The Following User Says Thank You to rmerren For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Linux Mint or Ubuntu. The advantage of Mint is that it goes further to get you set up automatically for things that require proprietary software than other distros do. Other distros explain how to do it -- Mint just does it for you automatically to the fullest extent possible.

Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
didn't see anyone saying anything about Gentoo. it's not one of out the box linux, but it's fully configurable and it's awesome =) as well gentoo.org has a full documentation on everything

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ZogG For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Gentoo is not generally considered newbie friendly, as the OP specified.

Posts: 1,148 | Thanked: 613 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Toronto
Whichever version you choose to install make sure you make a dualboot system
I use Ubuntu for browsing and general stuff and i like it very much but there are things for which you will need Windows 7 multimedia functionality . My laptop has HDMI output and i use it to connect to my TV . Ubuntu does not support it by default and u need to spend a lot of time to configure it , also Skype video works pretty bad

"I'm a N900 user, can I haz Flash 10 plz?!11!?" © Jaffa

Elopocalypse started on 11.02.2011

Posts: 741 | Thanked: 900 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Auckland NZ
Ubuntu user here. If You're new to Linux Ubuntu or Linux Mint are your best bet. Linux Mint is based on Ubuntu but comes with all the proprietary codecs to play MP3s and the like that would normally take 5 minutes to install in Ubuntu.

Try MEPIS 8.5 Its much easier than Ubuntu. Its a full blown Debian which ubuntu is not. Its more stable, easier to install and have good help forum. I have used Ubuntu, mandriva, puppy linux and tried some other as well. You don't have to install it to find out if you like it, put in the CD rom and reboot from CD player/recorder.

The Following User Says Thank You to arnest For This Useful Post:
Interesting you get a lot of replies which are basically everyone's personal preferences. Really need more detail on what you want to do....

I like Ubuntu but recently moved to Fedora on one of my machines because it seemed a bit more flexible with multi monitor setups.

Any one of the distros can be made to work.

Do you have reasonably modern hardware? Do you prefer the Gnome desktop or KDE? Do you want to develop? Are you a gamer?

As a newbie, I would go with what is common and well supported. Ubuntu is pretty easy to get help with. Fedora is not hard either.

Fedora does have the "Security Enhanced Linux" turned on by default. It is a little bit of a PITA sometimes but it makes me feel a little more secure on a machine that has outside world connectivity.

What do you want to do with your linux box?
David

Posts: 177 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Espoo, Finland
For general use, I'll join in and suggest Ubuntu too. The ubuntuforums.org is a great resource for help, really a lot better than what I ever found for Fedora or Suse. Yes, basically, they all do the same job, but as a new user, you will be glad for the extra instructions. Good luck and welcome!

Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
Gentoo is not generally considered newbie friendly, as the OP specified.
dunno, it was my first distro, and as time past current distro as well =) worked for me, and i don't understand stereotypes of newbies and out_of_box things