Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 539 | Thanked: 165 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Berlin, Germany
Just installing 2.311 and am curious how the setup now works.

EDIT:
Most of the settings in Plastic Theme were kept but font was reset to standard. And theme itself was reset to standard too. So I had to open up settings, choose font again and confirm the settings.
Could you probably add this to the installation script? Re-setting the user chosen settings to the system. So after upgrading the user only has to reboot to make the theme active again. That would really be great! Users who wish to change some of the settings still can open up the dialog and set them as they like before rebooting. But all users who just wnat to kepp their old settings would only have to reboot and everything would be fine.

And again: great work!

Last edited by x-lette; 2010-08-30 at 10:15.

Posts: 2,154 | Thanked: 2,186 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Hellsinki, Finland
Originally Posted by x-lette View Post
Just installing 2.311 and am curious how the setup now works.

EDIT:
Most of the settings in Plastic Theme were kept but font was reset to standard. And theme itself was reset to standard too. So I had to open up settings, choose font again and confirm the settings.
Could you probably add this to the installation script? Re-setting the user chosen settings to the system. So after upgrading the user only has to reboot to make the theme active again. That would really be great! Users who wish to change some of the settings still can open up the dialog and set them as they like before rebooting. But all users who just wnat to kepp their old settings would only have to reboot and everything would be fine.

And again: great work!
Unfortunately I cannot make installer to autoset Plastic Theme back to active theme (or I can, but don't wan to), because the installer cannot know if you're upgrading or doing a fresh install and it also cannot know what was the active theme before you started to upgrade (it would be against good policy to force Plastic Theme as active theme if user was using another theme but has Plastic Theme installed and just wants to upgrade it).

Font selector shown Nokia Sans since the uninstaller of previous version sets Nseries as your active theme (if you were currently using Plastic Theme before you started to upgrade) and it has Nokia Sans font in use (in short terms, font selector always autoselects the current system font).

So now you just need to run the Plastic Setup once after upgrading and Apply settings. Is it too much?

80's style stadium rock is back - FIRENOTE
Hi-Octane heavy metal - FORCE MAJEURE

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to d-iivil For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by etuoyo View Post
I love this theme. The eye candy in the deep blue option is amazing. Hoever, I use a lot of my own customisations (backgrounds, icons, etc). Each time I update it reverts back to default and I have to copy back all my customisations using WinSCP. Is there a way to update and not have the theme revert to all the defaults?

I have got round this by copying everything to the default theme but this means I lose any benefit that come when you update.
To keep your customizations you need to create new scheme for your custom stuff:
sudo gainroot
cp -rf /opt/plastic-schemes/DarkBlue /opt/plastic-schemes/CustomDarkBlue

and then do your customizations to that CustomDarkBlue -scheme (and set to use that scheme). That way they won't get overwritten during upgrade

For icons it's the same. Create copy of plastic icons:
sudo gainroot
cp -rf /usr/share/icons/black-plastic-icons /usr/share/icons/custom-plastic-icons

Then edit your icons as you want, and then edit this file:
/usr/share/icons/custom-plastic-icons/index.theme

Edit the line that says "Name=black-plastic-icons" to "Name=custom-plastic-icons". Then go back to edit your schemes gtkrc -file (/opt/plastic-schemes/CustomDarkBlue/gtk-2.0/gtkrc). Edit the line that says "gtk-icon-theme-name = "black-plastic-icons"" to be "gtk-icon-theme-name = "custom-plastic-icons""

That's it Now you have your own custom scheme with it's own custom iconset and they won't get overwritten during upgrade.

Last edited by d-iivil; 2010-08-30 at 10:41.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to d-iivil For This Useful Post:
Is there a way to easily change the button color in a Black Plastic theme? I know it's supposed to be "Black Plastic" and all, and I like the shiny little gradient on my buttons... the only thing I want to change is how *dark* it actually gets. I just want to be able to get the graylevel to go to a "dark gray", not pitch black as of now. (Or even a setting where I can define my "button darkness" or "button color" or whatnot.

Possible? Some gtk file I can edit? Or what?

/Z

Originally Posted by MasterZap View Post
Is there a way to easily change the button color in a Black Plastic theme? I know it's supposed to be "Black Plastic" and all, and I like the shiny little gradient on my buttons... the only thing I want to change is how *dark* it actually gets. I just want to be able to get the graylevel to go to a "dark gray", not pitch black as of now. (Or even a setting where I can define my "button darkness" or "button color" or whatnot.

Possible? Some gtk file I can edit? Or what?

/Z
Buttons are png images so you need some image editor. Images are located at: /opt/plastic-schemes/SCHEMENAME/images/

[QUOTE=D-Iivil;802111]Okay, version 2.311 is @ extras-devel. It has now simple command line tool for scheme conversion bundled with it.

Just updated, checked settings, apply and reboot, when the phone rebooted , all I got was a black desktop.Tried pushing the power button, then the screen "swipe to unlock" showed, but when I swiped , all I got was the black desktop.
Rebooted the phone again, and.......normal desktop was back.
Tried to recreate problem, but now it works everytime I change someting and reboot

Originally Posted by maartenlb View Post
Just updated, checked settings, apply and reboot, when the phone rebooted , all I got was a black desktop.Tried pushing the power button, then the screen "swipe to unlock" showed, but when I swiped , all I got was the black desktop.
Rebooted the phone again, and.......normal desktop was back.
Tried to recreate problem, but now it works everytime I change someting and reboot
I guess the moon and stars were in wrong position again.

I have experienced many kind of weird **** happening when rebooting the phone over and over again (testing other apps and ofcourse my own things). Power off and Power on has always helped though

Originally Posted by D-Iivil View Post
I guess the moon and stars were in wrong position again.

I have experienced many kind of weird **** happening when rebooting the phone over and over again (testing other apps and ofcourse my own things). Power off and Power on has always helped though
seems to be correct. never experinced this before. just a note if someone else had the same problem. do not fear (as I did for a moment) try the swedish button. on and off

Posts: 31 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Havant
hiya,

The only way I think you could improve this in any way would be...

When selecting the theme to use, ie DarkPurple or DeepRed, could you change the theme of the black plastic setup to the new theme so we get some idea of what its going to look like.

thanks

The Following User Says Thank You to RossTuck For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by RossTuck View Post
hiya,

The only way I think you could improve this in any way would be...

When selecting the theme to use, ie DarkPurple or DeepRed, could you change the theme of the black plastic setup to the new theme so we get some idea of what its going to look like.

thanks
Changing the whole phone's theme on the fly isn't doable, but it's definitely worth of thinking through to maybe change the buttons @ Plastic Setup to match current selection. That should_be_easily doable I think.

The Following User Says Thank You to d-iivil For This Useful Post: